Opening A Store. What devices To Stock?

ROBBIE HALL

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
I have a small repair and retail store in my country. It has been doing well and it's time to expand.
WP has an array of devices what I'm asking is what would you consider stocking if you were in my position?
So far from being on the forums, it seems that the 640/xl is seemingly the best value for money. ( Haven't heard much about the dual sim version...thoughts please?) The 1520 also seems to be quite popular but niche to those who like bigger devices. The Icon and 930 (any difference?) seem great value for money as well. What about the 830?
What I'm looking for is:
great value for money devices
upgradeble to w10m (not a big deal breaker)
If you can state why you picked that device.
And I'm only speaking of windows phones....please no android or iOS stuff here
The new devices are a given
Thanks for the recommendations

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have a small repair and retail store in my country. It has been doing well and it's time to expand.
WP has an array of devices what I'm asking is what would you consider stocking if you were in my position?
So far from being on the forums, it seems that the 640/xl is seemingly the best value for money. ( Haven't heard much about the dual sim version...thoughts please?) The 1520 also seems to be quite popular but niche to those who like bigger devices. The Icon and 930 (any difference?) seem great value for money as well. What about the 830?
What I'm looking for is:
great value for money devices
upgradeble to w10m (not a big deal breaker)
If you can state why you picked that device.
And I'm only speaking of windows phones....please no android or iOS stuff here
The new devices are a given
Thanks for the recommendations

640/XL is very well regarded - the usefulness of the dual-SIM models depends on the region. In the US here, nobody uses dual SIM phones for the most part, but elsewhere like India it might be more prevalent.
Also take note that there are at least four major flavors. single SIM 3G, single SIM LTE, and the same for LTE.

The 1520 is popular, but I'm not sure its quite a niche because it seems many have been and are eyeing devices like the Galaxy Note, iPhone 6+, Lumia 640 XL, 950 XL...

The Icon and 930 are the same phone but with some differences. The Icon is the US model, exclusive to Verizon, meaning it can work on Verizon's CDMA network and all Icons are unlocked. However, MMS and tethering may not work because VZW has locked down some things. VZW also controls the updates. Comes in only white or black as opposed to the more colorful 930. A solid phone in itself.

The 830 is also a fine device, but a relatively harder sell compared to the 640 due to the improvements being mostly creature comforts. (e.g. metal frame, much better camera, Qi charging, nicer curved display glass, etc.) I'd hesitate to stock these, especially since many consider it to be on par with the 920.

Another thing worth considering is the Lumia 435/532, but they're more bargain-basement devices.

1020's may be nice if people come asking for The Camera.

I think, given 820 prices online, that it may be a good idea to stock, but I cant say.

And of course 635's are a solid bet albeit overshadowed somewhat by the 640.

ROBBIE HALL

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
Thank you! Rather than the icon, you just get the 930 is that what you're saying? I have ways of removing the Verizon stuff. But as its not going to be a personal device, I'd rather not play around with it.
In my country all the rave is about dual sim. We don't have lte as yet (4g though) but most people here wouldn't care too much. ALOT of people still are nostalgic of Nokia phones but don't know MS has "bought" Nokia.
I was thinking of the 1020 as they are pretty much dirt cheap now new unlocked. So maybe a few won't hurt.
Ill have to do more looking at the 435/535
Here's another spin....the surface pro 3/4?
One of my competitors sells the lowest specced one. I am thinking one up as my average surface i5 256gb. He's 128 i3. Average users won't be concerned much about i3 vs i5 but just by saying it's the faster/better one can make a difference.
What says you?
Oh and I know there's a lte version does that also work on 4g?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Thank you! Rather than the icon, you just get the 930 is that what you're saying? I have ways of removing the Verizon stuff. But as its not going to be a personal device, I'd rather not play around with it.
In my country all the rave is about dual sim. We don't have lte as yet (4g though) but most people here wouldn't care too much. ALOT of people still are nostalgic of Nokia phones but don't know MS has "bought" Nokia.
I was thinking of the 1020 as they are pretty much dirt cheap now new unlocked. So maybe a few won't hurt.
Ill have to do more looking at the 435/535
Here's another spin....the surface pro 3/4?
One of my competitors sells the lowest specced one. I am thinking one up as my average surface i5 256gb. He's 128 i3. Average users won't be concerned much about i3 vs i5 but just by saying it's the faster/better one can make a difference.
What says you?
Oh and I know there's a lte version does that also work on 4g?

I'm not aware of any ways to debrand the Icon, actually. I'm sure it'll be fine as a cheaper donor option or budget flagship experience kind of thing, but the 930 is probably best.

As for the Surface, I'd go with stocking midrange models too - although it depends on the money people have in the area... I think the i3 vs. i5 thing will be a tangible benefit in terms of sales.

outside of the US, 4G IS LTE. (The US is weird in that 4G is simply H+ with some marketing)

ROBBIE HALL

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
Thank you! I just read on All About windows Phone (AAWP) that the L930 doesn't have glance!
So far ill be getting:
640 and 640xl all variants
Pro 3/Pro 4
950 and XL
Surface Pro
Icon
550....the new one which got announced....
535/532
Hesitant about 930....no glance...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss