Phone broadcasting as a mobile hotspot, how can I shut this off?

NXTwoThou

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Phone broadcasting as a mobile hotspot

Is there any way to shut this off?

I noticed it on the previous build, even though I turn off, set as Bluetooth, and set it where devices can't turn it on...it still broadcasts my phone name with the heading "Mobile hotspot, off". It's not just the annoyance, it certainly has to have an impact on battery life by constantly broadcasting even though the feature has been turned off.

npoe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
That has happened to me, but I tend to restart the phone after using wifi hotspot. You can try turining off and on the phone with the wifi hotspot off.

NXTwoThou

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Have tried all combinations(and yes, reboots between each). Nothing stops it from broadcasting. I've never used my phone as a hotspot, nor do I ever have plans to, so it's extra annoying.

meathead88

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Only devices you have previously paired via Bluetooth can see this. Its a feature and a cool one at that....

Your hotspot on your phone is not actually on. When you go try to connect to it, the Windows 8/10 PC tells your phone over Bluetooth to turn the hotspot on at that time. Then it will proceed to connect to it via WiFi

NXTwoThou

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
It's a cool feature, no doubt about it. Just not useful to me. That would be why I went through the options to turn it off and to turn off the option for it to be turned on remotely. So, why is it still wasting my battery by broadcasting a feature I explicitly told to never be on? Is there another option somewhere I'm missing?

meathead88

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
In fact, Can't disable mobile hotspot - Lumia 535 OS 10.0.10149.0 - Microsoft Community indicates that persons mobile provider thinks they are using their device as a hotspot even though they've turned it off. My is a corporate phone, I won't know until bean counters track it down and yell at me if AT&T thinks I've enabled a new billable feature. I keep being shocked that it's turned on by default after a full reset.

It's not broadcasting. Please read up on the feature.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb