Phone locked and needs a recovery key and got in trouble trying to provide on.

Cayucoscal

Aug 31, 2018
Visit site
Here is the sequence of events that got me into trouble which I have not been able to fix:
1. My Windows 10 Nokia 640 XL got to internal memory limit and would not let me get to apps to delete emails to get the phone to work properly
2. Tried to solve by doing a soft reset (did not work) so did a hard reset
3. When I tried to bring the phone up after the hard reset it asked for a recovery key or "to sign in to my account". I tried to sign in to my account but it said the reset protection was on and it needed to be turn it off. Could not do it via the phone since it was a brick.
4. Signed into my MS account via desk unit and there was my phone but no way to find recovery key as many web solutions said.
5. One solution said that if I deleted the phone it would give me access to the recovery key. I deleted the phone and there was no recovery key shown.

I have read multiple solutions which don't seem to work and have talked and chatted with Microsoft people but they keep referring me to links which I have already reviewed. They also referred me to a company who suppose to now handle phone technical questions but when I try to sign in it tells me my phone number is not correct. I did pick United States as my country.

So now my phone is a brick and I don't have the phone in my account so I can try to figure out how to get the recovery key. Any help appreciated.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Here is the sequence of events that got me into trouble which I have not been able to fix:
1. My Windows 10 Nokia 640 XL got to internal memory limit and would not let me get to apps to delete emails to get the phone to work properly
2. Tried to solve by doing a soft reset (did not work) so did a hard reset
3. When I tried to bring the phone up after the hard reset it asked for a recovery key or "to sign in to my account". I tried to sign in to my account but it said the reset protection was on and it needed to be turn it off. Could not do it via the phone since it was a brick.
4. Signed into my MS account via desk unit and there was my phone but no way to find recovery key as many web solutions said.
5. One solution said that if I deleted the phone it would give me access to the recovery key. I deleted the phone and there was no recovery key shown.

I have read multiple solutions which don't seem to work and have talked and chatted with Microsoft people but they keep referring me to links which I have already reviewed. They also referred me to a company who suppose to now handle phone technical questions but when I try to sign in it tells me my phone number is not correct. I did pick United States as my country.

So now my phone is a brick and I don't have the phone in my account so I can try to figure out how to get the recovery key. Any help appreciated.

Unless someone can brilliantly provide the reset protection key, or it mysteriously shows up for you, you may never get it. The only solution we know of currently is a work around to get in the phone by bypassing that screen.

Since you removed the phone from your account at least you wont make the mistake of initiating a remote wipe to it. I did that blindly not knowing and even though I could by pass the phone's reset protection screen, once I got to the home screen and then tried to sign in the Account settings it would instantly remotely wipe itself. I thought it would only do this once, but due to some bug or issue it does it every time I sign into the phone now. Maybe because the Reset protection is tripped, I am not really sure...so I re-purposed the 640 XL as child's media device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon