Pixel 2 or something else?

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
I ordered my Pixel 2 yesterday. This will be my first non-windows phone. Software updates, less bloat and a good camera is why I choose it over other androids. I didn't go with the iPhone 8 because it lacks a back button and there is a better chance to customize android closer to Windows. I'm hoping it works well with my 2014 uConnect in the car. Windows did an amazing job of getting around car software that thinks its smarter than a smart phone.

joepan

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Load the Microsoft launcher and Microsoft apps, set Bing as your search engine (keep earning the Bing rewards) and you maintain a link to your Microsoft environment. The Pixel 2 is FAST!!!!!! much faster than my old beloved 950XL, and it has a rather good camera.

Dirigent82

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
The camera is very good, white balance is way better than the Lumia, but shots still aren't as detailed as my 950 when they both focus correctly. The Pixel seems to focus better, but it's still not 100%. You'll probably get better results on a day to day basis with the Pixel, but when everything is perfect, the Lumia still takes better pictures. It's like the difference between a 1020 and a 950.

The other thing to know when setting one up is that the built-in Outlook.com sync does not support two factor identification. If you want your contacts to sync with the built-in contacts app (which you really want to do if that's where all your phone numbers are), you'll have to set up an app password on the Microsoft Account site. Then follow the link in the email they send to you that says you're going to use the built-in apps rather than the Outlook app to sync. You can still also use the Outlook app, but that doesn't sync your contacts to the dialer/SMS app.

The biggest drawbacks: The notification center isn't as well designed or controllable as Windows Mobile. There's no wireless charging, no expandable memory, no headphone jack, and no combined view of your local and OneDrive photo albums. Until Microsoft releases a Photos app for Android, you're almost forced to use Google Photos.

Well, I happened across WC's post of my thread - unexpected! I should update that I indeed did switch to Verizon and got a Kinda Blue Pixel 2 about a week ago. So far I'm liking the phone. It's super speedy and blows my 950 out of the water. Everything about it is faster: general use, app opening, web browsing, functionality, camera.

I've set up Nine as my contact/email/calendar app. I've been able to sync my Outlook contacts using this method, however, my Google contacts are also synced and I have duplicates in the contacts & phone app. Does anyone by chance know how to solve this problem? I turned off syncing of Google contacts in Settings, but they remain. Any help here would be appreciated.

I agree with your drawbacks, jeffgeno. I'm missing not being able to view pictures from OneDrive and locally in one location. I really don't like not having a headphone jack, but, I'll adapt (and keep an adapter...).

Maaz Mansori said:
For an FYI, the deal with Huawei Mate and AT&T fell through, though it appears the phone will still be sold unlocked in the U.S.

I hadn't heard that. Glad I didn't plan on waiting for it.

Dirigent82

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Load the Microsoft launcher and Microsoft apps, set Bing as your search engine (keep earning the Bing rewards) and you maintain a link to your Microsoft environment. The Pixel 2 is FAST!!!!!! much faster than my old beloved 950XL, and it has a rather good camera.

Yep - I've got the Microsoft Launcher and apps all set up. Working nicely so far! And ditto, this phone is blazing!

Hi :)
Just came from Twitter over to give my opinion.

I am Windows Phone user since WP7 and the HTC Mozart.
Now, 7years later and a 2years old Lumia 950XL in my hands, I had to look forward.

As no new Flagship is on sight and any other device would be lower classified than my 950XL, I was like everyone else hope on a life signal of a Surface Phone.
When Joe Belfiore then recommended, to move over to Android and IOS, my disappointment was unbearable.

IOS was never an option for me, so I checked Android.
My contract renewed and my contractor offered the Google Pixel 2 XL for free.

Having the phone the first time in my hands, made me comparing it to the 950XL which losses the 950 immediately.
The haptic of the Pixel is much better, it feels like one piece like a 920 or 1020 in the past.

The UI of Android was something I changed immediately.
I searched in the Playstore for the highly recommended Launcher 10 and spent 2,69 extra for the live tile feature. As a few easy adjustments and I had my full Windows 10 Mobile UI experience with Start screen and App list!

I didn´t used the MS Launcher yet but installed manually Edge, Outlook, OneNote and OneDrive.

From that moment, it felt from the start like a new Windows Mobile flagship!
I am really enjoying the entire phone, the battery lasts nearly the double amount of time like my 950, despite the fact that both have the same Milliampere amount.
Only missing there QI charging.

The camera is outstanding and as good as the Lumia.
Plus of the Lumia, you have many manual options to adjust camera settings to play around like exposure timer, iso and other things.
For snapping pics in awesome quality, the Pixel camera beats the 950XL.
For advanced photos, I purchased the well known ProShot app which makes the job as usual :)

I disabled most Google services which are not really needed , using outlook with the contacts as my preferred contacts list instead of my newly created Google account.
Only minimal minus point is the binding in of OneDrive in some apps like WhatsApp, not in Facebook or Instagram.
Some make it necessary that you download manually the pic from the OneDrive app and then you can select the pic within the FB app, etc.

Currently, I do not regret my move over to Google and the outstanding Pixel 2 XL.
Truly a flagship!

Best Regards,
Daniel Heithorn aka Schnittgemuese on Twitter

redevall

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Went with the Samsung galaxy note8 myself. (it was on sale over the holidays and I'm on Verizon, and my 735 was dying) hp x3 came too late. That said, I'd have considered the pixel 2 but the lack of micro SD storage was a complete no starter for me.

todd7900

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I would have to say something else. No way would I ever go all in on anything Google, don't trust them and until/unless they change their revenue model to something other than selling ads, I never will.

Personally, I'm looking at the Razor or Galaxy S(something) mostly for the headphone jack.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
This is a very good question but a hard one to answer due to the variety that is Android.

Coming from Windows Phone, I was used to a great camera, so camera tends to be at the top of my list and the Pixel 2 XL doesn't disappoint. Since leaving Windows Phone, I've had the Note 5, Note 7, Note 8, Moto Z Force Droid, Pixel XL and Pixel 2 XL and I can say, hands down, the Pixel 2 XL has the best camera I've ever used. From all of it's praise, I was often left disappointed with the original Pixel's camera. Often, it would be fuzzy, cloudy, and get the "Halo" effect. I used the Note 8 for a few months and loved it's camera but truly, the Pixel 2 XL has the best camera available. Even the front facing camera has a portrait mode and it has taken stunning pictures.

The Pixel 2 XL is also very fast, fluid and you do get the updates before any other phone.

I've not encountered the issues that were reported early on the Pixel 2 XL. My manufacture date is October 27th and I am on all of the latest updates. I do see the Blue Shift but it is not a factor.

I am not knocking the other phones I've tried and used and I may actually the consider the Note 8 once it is on Oreo, but for now, the Pixel 2 XL is my daily driver and may remain that for some time.

gar216

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm currently using a 950 and have been using a Windows phone since the 1020. I'm begrudgingly looking to move to Android in the somewhat near future and have been researching/window shopping. I don't know how other people feel, but I find it very frustrating and cumbersome! So many phones with different specs, versions of Android, various manufacturer skins, and phones full of bloatware.

Anyway, I'm starting to lean towards the Pixel 2. I don't need the size of the XL and have read the XL has more issues anyway. I like the idea of a straight Android phone and more frequent updates, though I really abhor the lack of a headphone jack. I've also read that the Huawei Mate 10 will be coming to AT&T (and possibly Verizon) which seems to garner very positive reviews internationally, but it is heavily skinned and will have plenty of bloatware. I don't particularly care for the Samsung Galaxy phones.

I plan on using numerous Microsoft services on the phone, probably using the app Nine to continue using Outlook contacts/email/calendar/etc, and probably installing some sort of launcher (Microsoft, Launcher 10, Squarehome, etc.) So, are there other big differences between the Android phones to consider? Are the UI skins a big issue? Is the Pixel 2 a smart move? I'm not looking to buy one immediately, so I'll see what happens with the Huawei Mate 10.

gar216

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
This won't be short but hopefully it helps. I was a Windows Phone user for a while and loved the platform. I had an HTC trophy, HTC X8, and a Lumia Icon. I had the icon longer than any other device, even updating it to Windows 10 at one point.

In mid-late 2015 I switched carriers and needed to buy a new device, and seeing that Windows Mobile had fallen out of favor with Microsoft, I decided to go Android.

My Android phones have been in this order. Moto X Pure (hated it), Nexus 6P (the Pixel of it's time) and my current Galaxy S8+.

Any Android device will let you use it with Windows services. I originally used all Microsoft services, then over time, Google's ecosystem crept it's way into my life and I use a combo of both. I did find that Android is more enjoyable when I let it be Android and stopped trying to use it as a Windows Phone.

As far as the best phone, I originally thought I hated Android, but really I hated my Moto. I really liked my Nexus 6P, but a couple months after the Pixel came out, my device was bricked by an update. It was an update that came straight from Google, as the benefit to the Nexus, like the Pixel, is immediate updates.

Huawei made the hardware for the Nexus, and was absolute nightmare to deal with, for repairs. It took over a month to get my phone back, but it wasn't mine, it was a referb. Within a week the phone didn't have signal for wifi, Bluetooth, or cell. Again Huawei was a nightmare to deal with. This time refusing to fix the device.

In that time period I bought a Samsung Galaxy S8+ because the Pixel 2 was a few months from release. I don't think I will ever go back.

Bottom line. Huawei customer service is terrible, don't waste your time. The Pixels are great, but fast updates aren't all that they are cracked up to be, a tested os is better than being the tester. Some of the manufacturer software on non Google Android phones, is actually really useful .

Triakel

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I recently switched to a Pixel 2 after seven years on WP/WM. I'm still adjusting. I'm on Verizon, so my choices of flagships were limited time iPhone, Pixel, Galaxy, Moto and LG. I seriously considered the S8 and V30 for the wireless charging, cameras and headphone jack (the V30 DAC was particularly tempting). My heart was with the V30 (despite its noted flaws), but I went with Pixel 2 for price (Verizon had a $300 off deal), timely updates and form factor. I have a toddler, and am concerned about the fragility of glass-backed, near bezel-less phones. I didn't feel like paying $700-850 plus tax to find out whether I was overly concerned about breakage. I've made peace with the Pixel 2's lack of wireless charging and headphone jack. Fast charging by wire, and the addition of an aptX wireless DAC/AMP eased my concerns. I started out thinking I would "Microsoftize" the phone and eschew Google services, but I'm finding that inertia is pulling me toward the latter. I'm using MS Launcher, Outlook, To-do and some other MS apps, but am rapidly becoming accustomed to Android's ecosystem and design language. I'm already considering ditching Outlook for Gmail/Google Calendar, OneDrive for Google Drive, MS Office for Google Docs, etc. Without the anchor of Windows Mobile, I'm feeling less desire to stay enmeshed in the MS ecosystem. We'll see how it goes these next few months.

badtzbuzz

May 31, 2015
Visit site
I slowly transferred my family to Google. First with wife to Nexus 6p, Oldest child to Pixel 2, youngest child to Pixel 2. I chose those for them because of the pre Android software and experience and the fast and consistent updates mean I desk with less problems and questions. I slowly transitioned from my windows phone years, to HTC 9, 10, now a Axon 7... with Microsoft launcher and Android apps. the Scion is a great phone but the native apps are lacking, so I went Google apps with Microsoft services.... Cortana is not great on Android or iOS, but I use it to track my schedule, then switch to Google Assistant to handle voice commands.

badtzbuzz

May 31, 2015
Visit site
I slowly transferred my family to Google. First with wife to Nexus 6p, Oldest child to Pixel 2, youngest child to Pixel 2. I chose those for them because of the Android software and experience and the fast and consistent updates mean I desk with less problems and questions. I slowly transitioned from my windows phone years, to HTC 9, 10, now a Axon 7... with Microsoft launcher and Android apps. the Scion is a great phone but the native apps are lacking, so I went Google apps with Microsoft services.... Cortana is not great on Android or iOS, but I use it to track my schedule, then switch to Google Assistant to handle voice commands.

alodar101

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Only ever was on Windows phone or one of its many variants. Changed over around may of this past year. Started with iOS 7, then a note 8. Then the pixel 2 came along. There iOS went away. The note 8 is now rarely used. I use the Microsoft launcher and Bing services, along with One Drive. But I try to stick with stock services on the phone otherwise. I would have liked Cortana, but unless voice is enabled without a bottom click it will always any as an add-on. I use edge because I like it. Office, of course. All email through Outlook. The pixel allows me to blend what I liked about Windows phone with a new experience. By themselves, iOS, Android, or Windows phone are not perfect. Blended, they are better. Android makes it easier to blend. And the pixel is less complicated than the Samsung devices. Besides that... I'm not sure Zac has both feet in reality... Must have been dropped as a young one.

welsbloke

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
As someone who made the move from the 950XL to the Pixel 2 XL I am less than impressed. The only thing which is better are the apps and even then bizarrely I have discovered that one or two are actually worse (basically as they were wrappers the online versions support more features than the Android app) this is definitely the exception though. Also as a UK person I do use the tap to pay but again as a UK person who has been using contactless payments via a card for literally years this is hardly groundbreaking.

This was a business phone and I think this is primarily my issue. The Windows Phone worked so well with Office 365 its a huge backwards step to move to the Google platform. I find it incredible frustrating I cannot change my default mail and calendar function to Outlook and so cannot make use of a bunch of features which only really work if you commit to switching to Google mail and calendar.

The camera may be better on the Pixel but the camera on the 950 was no slouch so really the benefit is small.

Oh and not lets forget the other big pain in the behind the text service that has worked in every car I have had with Bluetooth since Windows mobile 7 no longer works. My car now only makes a noise and I have fiddle about to find the message on the car screen then cannot reply unless its a canned message. Really missing the reading the text aloud and responding via voice. This seems to only work in cars that have specifically designed Android or Apple in mind whereas Microsoft found a way for this to work in pretty much all cars years ago, bad Microsoft.

Just remember one other thing the Pixel definitely has over the 950 XL is battery life. The 950XL had pretty good battery life or so I thought but my Pixel 2 XL last 2 or 3 days. This is probably testament to how I use the phone though which is less since looking at it tells me nothing and I have to switch it on and look notifications, I mean so yesterday.

That all said, Microsoft dropped the ball it is what it is so I can harp on about all the things I miss but this is what I have now its just not as good for me in daily use.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Only ever was on Windows phone or one of its many variants. Changed over around may of this past year. Started with iOS 7, then a note 8. Then the pixel 2 came along. There iOS went away. The note 8 is now rarely used. I use the Microsoft launcher and Bing services, along with One Drive. But I try to stick with stock services on the phone otherwise. I would have liked Cortana, but unless voice is enabled without a bottom click it will always any as an add-on. I use edge because I like it. Office, of course. All email through Outlook. The pixel allows me to blend what I liked about Windows phone with a new experience. By themselves, iOS, Android, or Windows phone are not perfect. Blended, they are better. Android makes it easier to blend. And the pixel is less complicated than the Samsung devices. Besides that... I'm not sure Zac has both feet in reality... Must have been dropped as a young one.

I truly cannot go back to my Note 8 now that I have a Pixel 2 XL, even if it has it's advantages. I just never knew how intrusive Bixby and the Samsung App Store and Apps was. Want it cleaner...

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I saw the Pixel 2 also comes with unlimited Photo uploads - is that true.

Also, if you are going to Android - go to Google - all in! Why use anything MS?

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
There is so much malware in the google store..i am not sure if i can get behind any android and Google can't be really trusted all things considering they love to hoard data about you and just recently it was released they were still tracking and storing peoples locations even after they disabled location services...i am not sure Google is reputable when it comes to consumer privacy.

If you think for one second that Microsoft isn't harvesting and selling your data too then you're grossly mistaken. Google is just more upfront about what they do with your data

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte