PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds for Xbox One is unique and intense, but rough around the edges

Windows Central

WinC Bot
Staff member
Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
pubg-sneaking.jpg

The phenomenon that is PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (PUBG) largely passed me by this year, in part because I'm simply not a huge PC gamer.
I use my Razer Blade laptop to play passive, lighter games, including 4X strategy games like Stellaris, and occasionally casual World of Warcraft. Although I spent most of my teen years playing Unreal Tournament 99 on a PC nonstop, after Halo 2, I ended up preferring the couch-optimal Xbox experience for shooters. Still, I watched PUBG evolve from the sidelines, as its Battle Royale-style one-versus-99 gameplay grew from obscurity into a 2017-defining game.
Aiming with a mouse is certainly far more accurate than it is with an Xbox gamepad joystick, but perhaps more crucially, you can turn faster. PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds is as much about tactics and strategy as it is about precise aiming and skill. Sound is incredibly important in PUBG, too, listening for enemy footsteps as you creep around the game's sizeable open-world map.
Some had wondered if PUBG's finer nuances might be lost in the transition to console, where games are often "dumbed down" to accommodate the lack of available inputs on a gamepad versus a keyboard and a mouse. In some cases that might be true. Some PUBG veterans on our team feel that powerful weapon spawns are more abundant in the console version, although we don't really have data to back that. I can say one thing for sure, though; after just a few games, PUBG represents some of the most intense, nerve-wracking competitive combat I've experienced on Xbox, ever.

Full story from the WindowsCentral blog...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers