Rumors suggest Xbox is bringing more games to Nintendo Switch and PlayStation, but what's the truth?

Jez Corden

Staff member
Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for reading. Personally I'm in two minds about this stuff, I like the idea of Hi-Fi Rush being sent out to more players, who might not have any intent of buying an Xbox or gaming PC otherwise. I can even reach towards this idea that it could raise the profile of the franchise should Microsoft explore a sequel which could be exclusive, and thus go on to sell systems.

But I can understand why it would worry people about the direction of the platform and its long-term viability. Spencer and co. saved Xbox from obscurity with its huge investments, but the idea of losing thousands of digitally-locked games in an imaginary far-flung future where everything converges on PC and mobile is a tad annoying. Microsoft can't comment on its long term commitments because they don't have a crystal ball, they don't know where any of this is going ... but I dunno. What do you think?

tpieman2029

Jan 7, 2024
Visit site
I don't hate xbox sharing games on the switch but this is the wrong title to share. You see comments on Twitter from ps5 users saying things like "oh the first game from xbox I wish we had" and stuff like that and by giving them an opportunity to play the game outside the xbox system you're losing the chance to grow the ecosystem.

It should be niche titles like pentiment or even flight sim OR be live service online games. My hottest take is that sea of thieves should also be on the switch if it can handle it but I'm not sure it can.

tpieman2029

Jan 7, 2024
Visit site
Is there any chance this is being done years in advance of a move to buy sega to create a catalouge of games they can show regulators they don't keep as exclusives?

Reactions: Jez Corden

Dan Maul

Jan 7, 2024
Visit site
Great write-up as usual, Jez.

My view on this is simple:

1. I like exclusives. They give ecosystems flavour. And I say this as an Xbox-only player;

2. as long as exclusivity remains a big industry play driven by Sony and Nintendo, Xbox can't afford to put valued exclusives on other consoles;

3. doing so highly diminishes brand appeal and potential. Game Pass alone can't save it.

PUREFILTH6669

Jan 7, 2024
Visit site
I'm of the mind that exclusives don't help anybody but the platform holders themselves, and I think as consumers we should all hope that consoles were more open similar to help PC works.

I think the problem here is Xbox lack of communication, Even though they've said that exclusives will be a case by case basis they need to come out right and say IF they plan on publishing games on more platforms in general instead of tiptoeing around it.

If there's one thing I've noticed is that on a lot of crucial things in the industry Xbox tends to be ahead of the curve so I can see them paving the way for platforms being more open as the console market plateaus and companies like PlayStation and Nintendo eventually jumping on board to publishing games in more places, albeit I know it's some what of a pipe dream.

And this is all coming from someone who's purchased hundreds and hundreds of games for the Xbox platform over four generations, Xbox putting their games in more places doesn't devalue my console nor the games that I've collected. As a port beggar I want to see games and as many places as possible so we all can enjoy experiences instead of being stuck behind pay walls that only benefit multi-billion dollar corporations. If game platforms were more open than actually developers would have to compete even harder as their pool of potential competitors grows exponentially.

Also I own a switch so I'd be very happy to purchase Xbox games on there because I enjoy the portability and I already double dip on third-party and indie games quite frequently lol.

Iroshino

Jan 7, 2024
Visit site
I was an avid Xbox fan and often argued online with PlayStation users. But I'm tired of the constant rumors that Microsoft wants to release its games on PlayStation and Nintendo. I don't want to buy a games for a console that could die at any moment at the whim of Microsoft, as they did with Windows Phone. Therefore, I bought a PlayStation 5 and will no longer buy games or subscriptions for my Xbox Series X. Phil Spencer is the Xbox console killer. He's worse than Don Mattrick.

onesvenus

Jan 7, 2024
Visit site
When you buy a console you choose which one based on two things: first and third party games. PlayStation and Nintendo have really powerful first party franchises. PlayStation also has all the third party games.

The only reason to get an Xbox console is if you can’t miss their games. If said games start appearing on competing consoles, meaning I get their first party offerings plus Xbox ones, why should I choose an Xbox?

This will result in console market share dropping faster than it is now, because people will choose other consoles with the prospect of also getting Xbox games, and this will result in less Gamepass subscriptions, because Xbox consoles are its main driver, and possibly less 3rd party games on Xbox.
It’s a short time win for a long time loss

Alfredo82

Jan 7, 2024
Visit site
The major issue here is a total erosion of trust

Phil told us in 2021 that they bought Bethesda for exclusivity, and that their titles (unless bound by legacy or contractual obligations) would ship only in places where gamepass exists.

As far as I’m aware, Nintendo does not allow gamepass. So not even 3 years later and they’re seemingly breaking that commitment to their players. How can anyone trust what Xbox tells us after this point? They speak constantly about the need to set expectations for the fans, yet they’re seemingly about to do the total opposite.

To thrust the fanbase back into an era of constant narratives over exclusivity, media articles, and ridiculous rumours is totally unfair. I thought we were past this.

grezul

Jan 7, 2024
Visit site
This rumor, assuming the "leaker" didn't just make it up for shits and giggles could easily apply to Psychonauts 2. The "leaker" could have easily made a definite statement but chose not to. Why? Be they have no idea if it's true and getting the Internet to debate over it gives them a bunch of free clout. It's engagement farming and it's all the Internet is these days

Coolbard

Jan 7, 2024
Visit site
I don't want to be harsh here but it's entirely the failings of the Marketing department. As someone that works in advertising, I'm constantly puzzled by the vague messaging Xbox puts out. No cohesive vision , no communication, no brand strength, mixed messaging- it's hard to ignore all these aspects.

The CFO says one thing, the CEO says the complete opposite. Blade exclusivity is shrouded in mystery and the fans are once again hoping to God their $500 investment was worth it. Brand loyalty is at all time low, public and media perception is the same. If they aren't freaking out at Xbox, I will be genuinely surprised.

Now HiFi Rush, the one universally praised Xbox exclusive in the past decade is going multiplatform. How is this good for the Xbox user?

Windows

Jan 7, 2024
Visit site
I agree with Shpeshal Nick from Xbox Era about this topic, this type of move brings some kind of anxiety and insecurity about the future of Xbox consoles and that's the actual problem. This porting situation might be nothing but might also be a tiny step in a future where everything you invested on Xbox is no more, where Xbox hardware is no more. And Microsoft can't guarantee that this won't be the case with just words and promises, even they wouldn't know at this point. For the past few years I've been having the impression that the only thing that matters to Xbox is Game Pass and that's disappointing.

Reactions: meganinja

kirito

Jan 7, 2024
Visit site
Exclusivity is of course important, the exclusivity of each console shapes the existence and value of their respective consoles, so if this rumor is true, wouldn't it be a good idea to expect other first parties on other platforms? That would only decrease people's desire to buy Microsoft consoles, and do even less good for xbox fans. It's even only xbox consoles that don't have a physical version of xbox first party. If one day Nintendo's first party comes to other consoles, where's the reason to buy a bottom performing switch? Xbox is happy to land their first party on other consoles, but Xbox consoles and fans don't even get second third party exclusives from Nintendo and Sony, how ironic.

I support xbox with real money because I want them to grow their brand and first party, not see them slap their fans and self-destruct over and over again, if this rumor is true I'll sell my Halo Infinite limited edition console.

Last edited:
Reactions: meganinja

Box

Jan 7, 2024
Visit site
There is little reason to own an Xbox console. We don't have the same support of third party publishers and we don't have the same amount of exclusives as Nintendo or Sony, even some of those few exclusives we get don't launch on Xbox day one (like ARA).
Launching first party games on other platforms will harm console sales, which will have a negative impact on Xbox MAU, which will cause third party publishers (like Sega, Koei, Square Enix, etc) to reconsider if investing in Xbox ports is a good investment.
We lose third party support and exclusives.

baldoXER

Jan 7, 2024
Visit site
It doesn't excite me but I often change idea thinking about how many Xbox games deserved more like Grounded (but they should not be too old already when they launch somewhere else). Contrary to you but it's the complementary thing, I always immagined a label for Xbox games coming to others systems making "that case by case" easier to understand.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria