Why Xbox customers are right to be angry about Microsoft putting more 'exclusive' games on Nintendo or PlayStation

That Viking Gamer

Jan 17, 2024
Visit site
This would be a terrible move for Xbox if they get nothing in return, I.E. games from Nintendo or PlayStation. If they start down this road It would put me off buying the next Xbox. I would rather have a single console to build my library and achievements and knowing Xbox games would eventually go to PlayStation would remove the need for Xbox hardware imo.

jonzie23

Jan 17, 2024
Visit site
It's cool and all, and I agree on some points, but... You literally threw the whole conversation that you just had with Destin Legarie out the window. Why?
Like, is it really bad that they will sell their old games on PS for $70, while still selling them for cheap on Xbox, and including them in GP? That's literally free promotion for their console, and they don't have to let go of their employees like Insomniac has (meaning that Spiderman 2 was probably the last Sony game with such high production values).
Now I don't think for a second that MS will go out of console business. But I do believe the rumours that Xbox 2026 will be a cheaper and weaker console, meaning that they won't be bleeding money anymore. On the other hand, I do expect Sony to release PS6 as your regular strong console, costing close to $600, because why not? And even with that price, their margins will be thin, and they will still continue to dig a grave for themselves, because of that dated approach to gaming. Now they do try to change some things, like those 14 GaaS attempts or changes to PS Plus, but MS is simply ahead of them at this point.

machiavellian79

Jan 17, 2024
Visit site
At some point people have to understand that MS is not going to be a traditional console company. MS bought 2 publishers with service games that can be played on just about everything. It makes absolutely sense to put all your service games on every platform because of the huge cost of investment. As for HI Fi rush going to Nintendo, it's the absolutely the best place for that game and guarantee that it will get huge investment in the sequel just like Ori and cuphead. Really, is any Xbox gamer really going to cry in their milk if all MS service games are multplateform and a few games go to Nintendo.

Reactions: jonzie23

machiavellian79

Jan 17, 2024
Visit site
This would be a terrible move for Xbox if they get nothing in return, I.E. games from Nintendo or PlayStation. If they start down this road It would put me off buying the next Xbox. I would rather have a single console to build my library and achievements and knowing Xbox games would eventually go to PlayStation would remove the need for Xbox hardware imo.
Do you really care if MS put their service games on multiple systems. I can tell you for a fact that will happen, because MS already does this with ABK and Bethesda games. It only makes sense because those games take a lot of development effort and money so the user base needs to be as big as it can get.

Reactions: jonzie23

TBBudak

May 27, 2023
Visit site
There is zero need to attach your feelings to a plastic box. The Series console sales have absolutely collapsed, be realistic. I've been with Xbox since the late 2000s but switched to PS5 in March 2022 and haven't looked back since. As a Xbox fan, i'm more excited about the game companies that Xbox owns instead of the consoles they sell. MS has so many studios that they no longer need to invest in consoles. I mean, Xbox sales are still down even after Starfield? Even after Forza Motorsport? It's a wrap. I hope all Xbox games come to PS, because i have 0 interest in playing them on my Series X.

TBBudak

May 27, 2023
Visit site
It's cool and all, and I agree on some points, but... You literally threw the whole conversation that you just had with Destin Legarie out the window. Why?
Like, is it really bad that they will sell their old games on PS for $70, while still selling them for cheap on Xbox, and including them in GP? That's literally free promotion for their console, and they don't have to let go of their employees like Insomniac has (meaning that Spiderman 2 was probably the last Sony game with such high production values).
Now I don't think for a second that MS will go out of console business. But I do believe the rumours that Xbox 2026 will be a cheaper and weaker console, meaning that they won't be bleeding money anymore. On the other hand, I do expect Sony to release PS6 as your regular strong console, costing close to $600, because why not? And even with that price, their margins will be thin, and they will still continue to dig a grave for themselves, because of that dated approach to gaming. Now they do try to change some things, like those 14 GaaS attempts or changes to PS Plus, but MS is simply ahead of them at this point.
"and they will still continue to dig a grave for themselves, because of that dated approach to gaming." The delusion of the average Xbox ****** is astounding. MS really programmed the way y'all think about this business all because you can't accept loss.

Baiisun

Jan 17, 2024
Visit site
Hey Jez,
Great opinion piece there.

There's something I don't fully get. Maybe someone can enlighten me.

What's that "long-term investment in the Xbox hardware ecosystem" that will be harmed? Let's assume Microsoft stops making Xbox consoles and the Series is the last generation Microsoft will be involved with. What will Xbox players lose?

fjtorres5591

May 16, 2023
Visit site
Hey Jez,
Great opinion piece there.

There's something I don't fully get. Maybe someone can enlighten me.

What's that "long-term investment in the Xbox hardware ecosystem" that will be harmed? Let's assume Microsoft stops making Xbox consoles and the Series is the last generation Microsoft will be involved with. What will Xbox players lose?
A stream of new games on their hardware and new hardware for old games. Because consoles die and because MS sold people on backwards compatibility so they would never lose the ability to play what they bought. Killing off a platform with tens of millions of consumers is not like killing a dated app.

fjtorres5591

May 16, 2023
Visit site
I'm hoping the rumor mongers are misreading what MS intends.
It is one thing to have a clear distinction between multi-platform, timed exclusives, and full exclusives, and another to make the entire catalog of exclusives multiplat.

The former is good business, the latter is indeed platform destruction. And bad business:
First, because porting old games takes time and money and staff time away from new games. Because the other console user bases value different games that the XBOX community: just look at their first party exclusives and third-party sales numbers. The ports almost certainly won't sell enough to justify the investment.

Second, because it is predicated on a false read of hardware sales numbers. That story of PS5 outselling XBOX 3:1? That was *one* month, oct 23, in *one* region (Europe which is Playstation phillic). And because, as the federal trial documents revealed, half the Playstation installed base plays just one game: COD. Which means MS already gets all the money they're ever going to get from them.

As the OP pointed out, MS gets more money per console than Sony. XBOX has a higher attach rate and always has. Game Pass is part of it, but Sony has its own subscription and despite their nominally larger numbers, less subscribers. Their user community has different habits, different tastes.

Now, it's different if they announce a new *single player* game (from Blizzard, Activision, Bethesda, even RARE) as multiplat. But bringing in a different community to an *established* XBOX online game? There *will* be issues. Griefers gotta grief.

Not worth it.

Maybe they're willing to risk it but it is a bad gamble, even as a test.
Particularly at a time Sony is in disarray when any such attempt is seen as propping up a predatory competitor. Very bad visuals.

We'll know soon enough but MS had better remember that the XBOX hardware platform is the same as their cloud streaming platform. At this point, anything that harms the console platform *kills* the cloud platform.

The OP graphic is spot on.

naddy69

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
This is a business decision, folks. More sales is always better. MS is a software company. They make way more money on software sales than hardware sales.

I am old enough to remember when Office was first made available on Macs. The same arguments were made then.

Restricting its application software to only one platform (Windows or Xbox) is not a good business strategy. Office is now available everywhere - Windows, Macs, phones and tablets (and I guarantee you that Linux is coming). Games should be the same.

Baiisun

Jan 17, 2024
Visit site
A stream of new games on their hardware and new hardware for old games. Because consoles die and because MS sold people on backwards compatibility so they would never lose the ability to play what they bought. Killing off a platform with tens of millions of consumers is not like killing a dated app.
A stream of new games on their hardware
Well, that stops a few years in a new generation anyway. Like now, there's very few new releases on Xbox One. But anyway, Microsoft wouldn't stop its gaming activities, just the manufacturing part which means that if there is a market for it, they could still publish their games on the last generation of Xbox long after stopping making consoles. Like any other 3rd Party Publisher.

new hardware for old games
If you want to play your older games on a more powerful console 10 years after their release. Well yeah, you won't get that. Unless, Microsoft ensures you can play your Xbox back catalog on PC and all you have to do is wait a few years and buy a 500 dollars PC. Also note, playing a back catalog on an upgraded system is a "luxury", and probably not a very common thing with millions of daily requests.
they would never lose the ability to play what they bought
What if Microsoft keeps the servers up so you can play your games on your legacy console for another 10 years or so? And then let you play your catalog on the cloud on any screen?

See where I'm going? I don't really see what people are losing.

But maybe, I'm missing something else here?

Jack Pipsam

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I can't help but feel they haven't got a clue what they're doing with Xbox at the moment.

Then they first announced those five acquisitions at E3 2018, it was a big moment. FIVE? At once? Wild! Especially as it wasn't that long after Lionhead & Press Play (along with others) were shuttered by Phil & Microsoft. I'll never forget the story of the Lionhead employee who got flowers from Microsoft on week because they had a child, then were laid-off along with rest of the studio the next. Nobody talks about Press Play, but I explicitly remember they ran a poll asking the Xbox community what game they should develop next, then the studio was shut.

Ninja Theory at the time seemed like massive get, and it's interesting how now with all that happened after they've almost been pushed to the side conversation. Playground Games was an obvious buy, and yet might be their most important. Jury is still out on Undead Lab, but it seemed to indicate Xbox wanted to commit to an IP and bring it inhouse, something they hadn't done in a long time (as they had a terrible track record of maintaining IP, Ryse 2? Recore 2? D4 ep 2? Sunset Overdrive 2 etc).
Compulsion Games was random, remained random, and yet also showed a desire to go into the realm of single player. And finally their own Sony style studio, The Initiative (heh, what a disaster).
Each of these at the time all made sense together in their own way, it felt considered and like Xbox had a direction they wished to go in. For existing and new IP, to challenge their own weaknesses.

Fast forward until today, what is Xbox's future vision, complete control? Their buying spree to me isn't a sign of confidence, but utter desperation. Yes Hi-Fi Rush was great, but that seems like a fluke when Redfall released in an embarrassing state and Starfield has underwhelmed (remember when people talked about Elder Scrolls and Fallout for months if not years after their releases, it felt like Starfield was done within a week).
ABK has been a whirlwind. Okay they have them, now what?
And what of Xbox Studios? 343i had massive layoffs, they keep failing to impress. The Coalition (one of their successful studios) had layoffs too. The new Forza Motorsports has underwhelmed everyone.

My biggest fear is a total lack of focus and cannibalisation. Too many studios, too many projects. Games in the same genre clashing under the same studio. Are they serving Xbox? The console? Game Pass? Or just their own studio self-interest, fighting other studios?
Does Bethesda and ABK end up fighting each-other for daddy Phil's attention? Where does that leave the likes of inXile or Double Fine?
If you've spent almost $70B USD on Call of Duty, suddenly you're not going to be that interested in pushing State of Decay if the marketing effort needs to go towards recouping via Call of Duty (and we've already saw a sign of this with that obnoxious CoD pop-up on the Xbox home page, what a disgrace).
Ninja Theory seemed like such a big deal at the time, now they almost seem irrelevant if the big draw cards are the most mainstream common denominator IPs via Bethesda or ABK.
The cost of this all would be massive, all the employees, HR, budgets for games and this is all meant to be supported by Game Pass? Because you're going to end up losing sales. And in the world of live service, each wants your attention forever.

It makes sense in a way that Microsoft would want to shove their games on other platforms to make that revenue up if they'd face a shortfall, but they're the idiots who invested billions upon billions into panic buying. It's like they started a considered journey to rebuild their brand, then just decided their brand didn't matter so to buy other brands instead.

What is the Xbox brand? Bethesda still goes by Bethesda. ABK still goes by ABK.
And at the end of it all, their console sales haven't improved. It's almost as if, instead of focusing on a selection of considered games, thoughtful studios and focus/time lovingly spent to each. Tossing every ingredient into the pot doesn't make a meal more appetising.

I bought the Xbox One on its launch day. I bought Ryse. I bought D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die, and watched as Micrsoft just cancelled it follow-up episodes. I've stuck with Xbox, even when they pulled stunts like the once planned always online, or whatever the heck deal with Phantom Dust was. I played Crackdown 3 and enjoyed it, even though it was considered a joke by most. I bought MCC at launch, I remember how broken it was and how disheartening it was. I still remember feeling gross as so many launch titles of Xbox Online like Powerstar Golf, Ryse, Crimson Dragon and Lococycle were chock full of microtransactions for seemingly no reason, as they were not ongoing service titles. I have been through the song and dance of improving the IU multiple times, from the massive Kinetic friendly blocks of the OG Xbox (remember when apps would crash all the time lol) to now, when they still refuse to listen to the main feedback, which is let us hide ads. I remember when they had interesting features like Snap Mode, then got rid of it. How the bought Mixer, then decided they didn't want it. How they left Super Lucky's Tale in the heat by being the launch title for the Xbox One X. How Phil wore a Recore shirt on an IGN Australia podcast, talking about how proud of the game he was, but then it clearly released in a state it was not ready for.
How many times have we gone through this as Xbox players.
So forgive me if I look at Bethesda & ABK as not being a sign of hope, but just a sign of another chapter of Xbox's endless blunders. And the funny thing was... they were so close, if they had just stopped the buying spree at Double Fine and stuck to their guns to focus on what they have, then we might not be once again questioning the future of Xbox.
Because that is the only one throughline from the latter 360s day until today. We keep asking over and over and over and over, in different contexts, but the same question with a worried expression.

What is the future of Xbox?

Leo Kim

Jan 18, 2024
Visit site
Respected Jez~ I've seen your posts often in the gaming community and found many of them relatable, and it was a pleasure to read your posts.
However, this article does not seem to provide a proper understanding of the framework of Microsoft's Xbox strategy.
Those of you who are interested in Xbox will understand that the Xbox ecosystem / wide expansion is progressing through a 'two-track strategy'. What surprised me was that this article was not about helping gamers understand Microsoft's strategy.

After reading the article, I realized that some works may be exclusive and others may be transferred to competing platforms. So, I read your post carefully, saying that there is a need for something for the Xbox console rather than launching a competing platform, which is dangerous for the Xbox ecosystem. The unfortunate thing is that I think what xbox gamers get from this article is confusion.

I understand the purpose and agree to some extent with what is being argued. However, it is difficult to sympathize with the content of the article itself.

jonzie23

Jan 17, 2024
Visit site
"and they will still continue to dig a grave for themselves, because of that dated approach to gaming." The delusion of the average Xbox ****** is astounding. MS really programmed the way y'all think about this business all because you can't accept loss.
Please enlighten me. How is that a loss, when there is a chance that Xbox as a brand will end this year as a number 1 or 2 in terms of revenue and net income?
You are thinking that they are becoming second Sega here, but they clearly are not.
Also, how is Sony winning, when they force their studios to cut the costs and fire their employees? How is that working out for them?

You keep thinking in the same terms that you've been thinking for the past 30 years, and you keep thinking that nothing will change for the next 30, which is naïve. Just remember, Blockbuster was also a thing in the past.
Come back to me in 2030, and we will discuss who truly 'won' here (hint - Sony will not be number one, not even number 2).

chiron69

Sep 3, 2017
Visit site
I have bought and sold one Xbox Series S, because of it's terrible storage space,and reverted back to my trusty old Xbox One X. I will probably drop the Xbox Series X,and instead wait for the next generation,if it has cheaper/better storage options. Or switch to PlayStation,for the first time in my life. Have owned EVERY Xbox system,and several models 4-5 times since the original Xbox,and I was so disappointed with the Series S,that I hope Microsoft will study the feedback from the community,and drop the proprietary stuff that has destroyed the Series S/X. Best wishes from Ronny,No(r)way

TBBudak

May 27, 2023
Visit site
Please enlighten me. How is that a loss, when there is a chance that Xbox as a brand will end this year as a number 1 or 2 in terms of revenue and net income?
You are thinking that they are becoming second Sega here, but they clearly are not.
Also, how is Sony winning, when they force their studios to cut the costs and fire their employees? How is that working out for them?

You keep thinking in the same terms that you've been thinking for the past 30 years, and you keep thinking that nothing will change for the next 30, which is naïve. Just remember, Blockbuster was also a thing in the past.
Come back to me in 2030, and we will discuss who truly 'won' here (hint - Sony will not be number one, not even number 2)

Come back to me in 2030, and we will discuss who truly 'won' here (hint - Sony will not be number one, not
Microsoft could definitely be number... nut only with the help of Playstation and Nintendo. They are the driving forces of the gaming industry. And considering that MS wants to bring games to Playstation, they seem to agree. MS will only be number one if Playstation allows it. Otherwise they won't. And you seem to forget that Xbox has invested 100 billion dollars into studios, and you think they'll make that money back by 2030 LOL. The true meaning of delusion. Whether you like to admit it or not, consoles will always be the future. You can support Microsoft's cloud powered USB stick console in 2027, nobody is stopping you, but you'll yourself how big the PS6 will be. You only think that Sony is the past because your favorite console isn't being bought by anyone. You would be singing a different tune if Series sales were at 60m.

rmark66

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
If no exclusives, or not many, exist on Xbox, then no one will buy an Xbox or get Game Pass because they can get all the Xbox games on PS or Switch plus exclusives on PS or Switch. Exclusives are the only thing Microsoft has for building brand loyalty and gives them something to build a consumer base with again.

Reactions: fjtorres5591

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria