Possible hands-free feature (voice activation) and concerns

Alex Blast

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
I know that there are many of you Cortana fans out there would really love to activate Cortana just by saying a command without touching the phone. This means Cortana must always listen, which also means the microphone must be on at all time. So the question is: Who is taking a beating? DING DING DING to the ones with the answer: The battery. I know that many of us users have some trouble with the short battery life,especially those who have to charge their phones up to 3 times a day like myself. I'm also worried if the phone could get heated up when you put it in your pocket and go under the sun for long periods, for example. This feature is neat - true - but if it is implemented someday, what can Microsoft do to deal with the battery problem? Any ideas, guys?

Amrykid

Banned
Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I was thinking that such a feature would only be available if the phone is plugged in to a charger or a dock (for cars). Otherwise, we may need to have dedicated hardware for a feature (see the Moto X with it's dedicated DSP for Google Now).

Alex Blast

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
yep. that's why it's impractical, somewhat. But I still like the idea of voice activation. It makes Cortana much more humanlike. Much consideration is going to be taken into were Microsoft to implement it for real. It's very likely this feature will be implemented, since it is getting a lot of appreciation and support on Microsoft's Cortana Uservoice page.

Alex Blast

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
People who don't own cars, for example, a cyclist like myself, may want to give Cortana orders while cycling, maybe through a headset. On a bike, without a dock... You get the picture.

nidO#WN

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Yes, and the fact that most current phones don't have a processor capable of doing that is the whole reason Cortana doesn't currently do this. AFAIK the idea is that this feature will be coming later, presumably when a decent range of phones support the ability to listen without hammering the battery.

Alex Blast

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
heh... probably... Anyway, let's focus on current phones instead. A guy commenting on an idea on Cortana uservoice came up with an idea, which is kind of possible. Here's what he said:
Christian Peterson:
This should def be a feature where in the settings it can be set to always listening(on 24/7), driving mode only(when driving (using speedometer to determine)), or charging mode only (turns on only while charging). You should also have the battery app be able to turn it off for when it goes into battery saving mode but of course that can be changed.

Sent from my RM-846_apac_vietnam_203 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99