Prevent usage of Skydrive

Scherooom

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi everybody,

I'm trying to find a way to block my WP8-users from using Skydrive. I know I can disable all that automatic uploads and so on, but I found no way to prevent a user from re-enabling Skydrive...

We're evaluating WP8 as a replacement for our BBs and iOS-devices, and we have the company policy that company data is not allowed to be put into ANY kinds of cloud services. On my iOS-devices I have the possibility (over Apples MDM Api) to completely block the iCloud, so the user cannot even configure, much less use it.

Is there something like this on WP8 ?

Thanks for your replies in advance ! :)

?ffes

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
You can't. I can't find anything over at windowsphone.com for this.

A possible workaround is to prevent your employees from signing into their Microsoft Account.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm not up on my enterprise tech speak as I used to be but I'm guessing you've already seen this?

What is Windows Intune? PC and mobile device management cloud solution
Windows Phone for business | Phone management | Windows Phone (United States)

I would recommend that if you can't find the information online to contact MS and see if you can get your answers. I don't see a reason why you can't do what you want. From what little I read you have the ability to block SD card usage so I don't see Skydrive being an issue as blocking cloud services is a common thing on large enterprise infrastructure. Even though MS and other companies are pushing the cloud services.

Scherooom

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your replies !

Sadly Windows Intune also has no solution to this problem, I checked the configuration options for WP8 in the documentation, and it just supports the same functions like all other Mobile Device Management products also support.

I just found the documentation for the Enterprise Device Management Protocol for WP8, and it really seems that there are no options for this. Also nothing for the configuration of WiFi-profiles, VPNs, and so on.

Damn, and I already thought those Lumias 920 would be the perfect solution for us, but it seems like WP8 just isn't ready for the enterprise yet. :(

Thanks for your help again !

Last edited:

o0Nighthawk0o

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Why not set up their accounts and you, or your IT dept., knows their passwords. Make it a company policy that they cannot change their account info. Inform them that you have the right to inspect their SkyDrive and if any company info is found there it is cause for disciplinary action.

Edited to add:

Or is it possible to have all the phones connected to the same Microsoft account? Haven't looked into this but would allow you to monitor the SkyDrive storage easier.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I take it your company isn't on Office365. If they were you would set up the phone with their O365 account and then Skydrive would be associated with that account.

Cloud computing isn't going away so I'd encourage your company to embrace it not fight it.

Nakazul

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Why not set up their accounts and you, or your IT dept., knows their passwords. Make it a company policy that they cannot change their account info. Inform them that you have the right to inspect their SkyDrive and if any company info is found there it is cause for disciplinary action.

Edited to add:

Or is it possible to have all the phones connected to the same Microsoft account? Haven't looked into this but would allow you to monitor the SkyDrive storage easier.

you can have 5 phones on one account.
Contacting Microsoft enterprise is the right way to go. There support for enterprise is supposed to be exeptional, that is if your company have Microsoft solutions that means you have a contact person.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I take it your company isn't on Office365. If they were you would set up the phone with their O365 account and then Skydrive would be associated with that account.

Cloud computing isn't going away so I'd encourage your company to embrace it not fight it.

Unfortunately, that's not really a consideration when company security policy may state that company data must not be publically accessible. The aim is here to prevent employees from (intentionally or not) copying sensitive data outside of the company's control.

There is a kind of hope in Windows 8.1, which has controls to disable SkyDrive

How to Disable SkyDrive Integration in Windows 8.1 Preview

It may be that Windows Phone 8.1 could have the same administration feature. In the meantime, it may be possible to firewall SkyDrive's servers, but this wouldn't work over 3G/4G and would lead to the phone being error-prone/unstable (since SkyDrive is baked-in).

There's no simple answer here that I can see, but you need to talk with your MS technical account manager regarding your concerns and whether waiting for WP8.1 will meet your company's security requirements.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Very few large enterprises use cloud computing. They're way behind in regards to the 'latest' thing. Most use Citrix server with remote access so cloud is not needed. There's also lots of other tricks too.

Security of company data is a major concern for large enterprises. You can't say to some large multi billion company, that's just tough, this is the way it is. They'll just laugh at you and use someone else.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Very few large enterprises use cloud computing. They're way behind in regards to the 'latest' thing. Most use Citrix server with remote access so cloud is not needed. There's also lots of other tricks too.

Security of company data is a major concern for large enterprises. You can't say to some large multi billion company, that's just tough, this is the way it is. They'll just laugh at you and use someone else.

problem is these huge companies can't stop data leaks, they can only manage them. I mean hell if the NSA can't prevent it what makes these stodgy orgs think they can?

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Read the OP again. It's stated there.

I'm not seeing it. The OP says "I have the possibility (over Apples MDM Api) to completely block the iCloud" but doesn't say what tool they are using to do it. You need something like Good, Mobile Iron, Airwatch, to actually manipulate those API's. Plus simply blocking iCloud doesn't prevent anybody from simply downloading Skydrive, or Box or whatever other cloud app anyway.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
problem is these huge companies can't stop data leaks, they can only manage them. I mean hell if the NSA can't prevent it what makes these stodgy orgs think they can?

They can't but it's a measure of protection. At my work I can't even access webmail for the same reason. I also can't access any social media with my work computer. So take it from there. It's all part and parcel. Whether MS likes it or not enterprises don't like access to cloud drive systems.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm not seeing it. The OP says "I have the possibility (over Apples MDM Api) to completely block the iCloud" but doesn't say what tool they are using to do it. You need something like Good, Mobile Iron, Airwatch, to actually manipulate those API's. Plus simply blocking iCloud doesn't prevent anybody from simply downloading Skydrive, or Box or whatever other cloud app anyway.

I'm no IT professional so I don't know.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
For us in regulated industries (financial services, healthcare, etc.) it's not so much that we think we can prevent data leaks, but it's having tools in place that you can point to in court and say, "See, we are following all your lame laws the best we can." Kinda like a CYA thing. They also help prevent accidential leakage of data. For example a lost laptop/smartphone, or accidently attaching that document of SSN's and sending it to an external email address instead of an internal one. People who actually WANT to steal info, will steal info.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Not to mention the loss of earnings caused by

a) Customers loss of confidence in how their data is used
b) The potential for competitors to gain access to data/strategic plans

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member