Protection Plans

GatsbyGlen

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
I've never purchased accident protection plans in the past, but am considering doing so for the Surface Pro 4. I purchased the unit from Best Buy, and can get a 2 year accident plan from them for $149, provided purchase a plan in the next 10 days.

Microsoft also has a 2 year plan for $149. I called the local Microsoft store and I have 45 days to go in and purchase it.

I'm wondering if one plan is better than the other, the same, or should I just forget it all together :)

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Don't do BB and do the math on MS plan...

$149 + $49 (up to twice)
You already have a 1 year manufacturer.

The way I see it I would take the $149 and invest in a good carrying case that protects (doesn't just look pretty) the surface when not in use. so minimum outlay for first repair is $200. Or 20% what the Sp4m3 costs with tax.

After the requisite case then use the remainder on accessories. Like BT mouse, type cover ... dongles etc.

I have never broken a laptop ever and two years is short, for one year MS will cover defects.

I would only get the assurance plan if you are bent on to carrying the surface without a case. It is heavy (even the m3) in comparison to a phone or a tablet so I can see slips and drops happening due to the weight. That is why I immediately got a case to transport it when not in use and store it there.

You have 45 days so either get a protective case and accessories or buy the insurance or spin the wheel but at $1000 + spinning the wheel could be expensive down the road.

BenJAMIN_2009

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I work at best buy and I gotta say the protection plans are nice I'm not sure if that comes with the 24/7 support or not really though it depends on you if you feel like drops and spills will happen go for it

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Actually, with the tablets, I would go for the MS plan. I am very gentle with my stuff, but I did break the screen on my Surface RT and the plan paid for itself at the time.

When I got my SP3, I automatically got the MS protection plan as part of a package deal. And let me tell you, IT'S AWESOME. You have a problem, if they can't fix it quickly, or you notice something even cosmetically wrong, they just go in the back and get you a new one. No questions asked. Then, they reset the start date of your plan to that day. So say in 1 year 11 months after you bought the thing, you break the kickstand, you take it in, they replace it with a new (or possibly a refurbished) unit. Your 2 year protection plan resets back, so you have another 2 years :)

With my SP3, MS kept replacing my unit because of what eventually turned out to be a bug in the BIOS (which they finally fixed a couple of weeks ago), but each time, my plan reset. So I've got extended, extended warranty.

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Don't do Best Buy plans. If you have a chance for a plan between 3rd party store and manufacturer, you go with manufacturer.

StevoPhilo

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
I work at best buy and I gotta say the protection plans are nice I'm not sure if that comes with the 24/7 support or not really though it depends on you if you feel like drops and spills will happen go for it

I work Best Buy computers.

Best Buy does give you support through Geek Squad. In-store/Phone/Remote Access into the machine. That plan covers device setup, virus removals, optimizations and software installs.

Then you have the accidental side which covers drops, spills, cracked screen, touchscreen, surges, battery, charger, submersion, and your typical hardware defects.

There isn't a deductible and it's all an upfront cost. You can choose to renew it again just before the term expires for an additional 1 or 2 years at the same price. That's usually done 1 month before and it's sent through an email. Renewed online or over the phone.

It's usually repaired first, but being that it's a surface these are almost impossible to fix and isn't worth anyone's time or money. So you will get a new unit or something that is comparable. If not store credit of the amount of the unit.

I think the benefit of Best Buy is the extreme damage scenario like submersion and high drops. Also the fact that you have about 1200+ stores
you can take it to.

Oh and one thing to keep in mind is that Best Buy's plan starts from the day you purchase the plan. So it to an extent overrides the manufacturers warranty because it's better. You can still do a manufacturers claim though.

Hardcore1973

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
I use the Microsoft complete warranty plans now. If you break your screen at Best Buy you have to re purchase the protection plan again from what I remember. You take your system to the Microsoft store and you will walk out with a brand new one, no questions asked!

zulu208

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I've never purchased accident protection plans in the past, but am considering doing so for the Surface Pro 4. I purchased the unit from Best Buy, and can get a 2 year accident plan from them for $149, provided purchase a plan in the next 10 days.

Microsoft also has a 2 year plan for $149. I called the local Microsoft store and I have 45 days to go in and purchase it.

I'm wondering if one plan is better than the other, the same, or should I just forget it all together :)

Hey Gatsby,

you said you got your sp4 from best buy and MS said you can get the complete from them within 45 days? I tweeted @microsoft_store and they said they won't cover anything that is purchased outside the MS store.....

if so, those twitter ****** totally lied to me.

GatsbyGlen

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
Hey Gatsby,

you said you got your sp4 from best buy and MS said you can get the complete from them within 45 days? I tweeted @microsoft_store and they said they won't cover anything that is purchased outside the MS store.....

I called the Microsoft Store in Costa Mesa, California and asked them directly. They said to bring my machine in, best buy receipt, and they would look at it. They want to make sure it isn't damaged before purchasing the protection plan. I haven't gone to the store yet though, as I'm still trying to decide whether or not I'll get it.

zulu208

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I called the Microsoft Store in Costa Mesa, California and asked them directly. They said to bring my machine in, best buy receipt, and they would look at it. They want to make sure it isn't damaged before purchasing the protection plan. I haven't gone to the store yet though, as I'm still trying to decide whether or not I'll get it.

Thanks. I will have to call the scottsdale, AZ one and see what they say.

RicKaysen

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
I handle my tech very cautiously and have never dropped a phone or a tablet. Now, the tablets I'm accustomed to have been the 7 and 8 inch variety. I left the Microsoft store declining the protection plan and returned the next day to buy it. I'm just not used to a tablet the size of the SP4 and thought it will be just a matter of time before I fumble it. So, it's comforting to know I can get a replacement if I break it.

GatsbyGlen

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
Hey Gatsby,

Just an FYI - if you register your device at myservice.surface.com, you'll see the message about Microsoft Complete being available and it will tell you how many days you have left.

"Microsoft Complete: Provides additional warranty coverage including Accidental Damage Protection. You can add MS Complete up to 45 days after purchase of your Surface. Just bring your device to any Microsoft retail store for inspection and purchase MS Complete for your device."

m4600

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Keep in mind that Microsoft Stores also offer various bundles that include protection plans as well as Type Covers and (optionally) docking stations. There are both consumer and business bundles. You can ask about them at the store. They can even customize the bundle to include exactly what you need.

For example, I have paid $504 (plus tax) for a 3-year Business Complete plan with Accidental Damage Protection, fingerprint Type Cover and the new docking station. If you subtract the cost of those parts (that I was going to buy anyway), I have essentially paid $144 for a 3-year coverage! They don't advertise those bundles but you can always ask.

Last edited:

FXi2

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
If you order online with the Microsoft Complete warranty can you go to a store for a fix or replacement if something goes wrong?

GatsbyGlen

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
Keep in mind that Microsoft Stores also offer various bundles that include protection plans as well as Type Covers and (optionally) docking stations. There are both consumer and business bundles. You can ask about them at the store. They can even customize the bundle to include exactly what you need.

For example, I have paid $504 (plus tax) for a 3-year Business Complete plan with Accidental Damage Protection, fingerprint Type Cover and the new docking station. If you subtract the cost of those parts (that I was going to buy anyway), I have essentially paid $144 for a 3-year coverage! They don't advertise those bundles but you can always ask.

Funny you mention that. I stopped by the Microsoft Store today while at the mall. I was told I could get the protection plan, type cover, sleeve and office 365 for $269. I'd have to return my existing type cover to Best Buy if I want to do that. Hmmm.

m4600

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
If you order online with the Microsoft Complete warranty can you go to a store for a fix or replacement if something goes wrong?

In my case, the SP4 was ordered on-line (as they didn't offer my configuration at the store) and the Type Cover was also purchased on-line: both from Microsoft. But the protection plan I have intentionally purchased in the store, to simplify future service and to take advantage of the store bundles. I have returned my Type Cover, but that was just a formality, since I got it right back as part of the bundle. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo