Pulled the trigger and got a HTC One M8

aitt

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I've always admired HTC's enginuity. My first smartphone and WP were both HTC designs. What WP were you using? I only ask because the M8 is considered a top grade phone. Unless you're using a 1520 or 1020 you're really not using a comparable WP. The 1520 is purely a work of art in my opinion.

I have both the 1520 and the 920. The build is great for the 1520 but it's hard to say it's anything near the M8 when holding in your hand. I'm not trying to down play the 1520 but at the end of the day it's premium plastic. Like if the M8 was the W8 I'd get it no questions over the 1520. I guess my wording of premium is not a good choice of words but Nokia design language needs a refresh

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Forget about higher end phones for a minute. WP has made its strides with the bottom rung 52x series, there's no denying this. I was at a local Brands Mart (Best Buy on steroids) this weekend getting ink for my printer and I went by the phone area just for some sh!ts and giggles. I saw these Android phablets with quad-core cpus, 2 gigs of RAM and running JB & KitKat for $150. I had never heard of Blu and it turns out they're a local (Miami) company pumping out Chinese handsets. For anybody who doesn't know any better, they see a 5-1/2" screen, dual sims, 4G and a flash camera and they're going to think twice about a L52x. The home screen transitions were smooth, the layout was like any other Android - in fact, they look like any Samsung out there. I'm just wondering if it's worth a half-day's salary to squash my curiosity.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
@OP...thanks for sharing. Have been on the fence between the Samsung SE and the HTC ONE m8 for a month. Currently using the Ativ S and have been on WP for 3 years. I love my Ativ but to be honest, seems like improvements in the OS are always a case of "hurry up and wait". Just don't know. Thanks again.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Forget about higher end phones for a minute. WP has made its strides with the bottom rung 52x series, there's no denying this. I was at a local Brands Mart (Best Buy on steroids) this weekend getting ink for my printer and I went by the phone area just for some sh!ts and giggles. I saw these Android phablets with quad-core cpus, 2 gigs of RAM and running JB & KitKat for $150. I had never heard of Blu and it turns out they're a local (Miami) company pumping out Chinese handsets. For anybody who doesn't know any better, they see a 5-1/2" screen, dual sims, 4G and a flash camera and they're going to think twice about a L52x. The home screen transitions were smooth, the layout was like any other Android - in fact, they look like any Samsung out there. I'm just wondering if it's worth a half-day's salary to squash my curiosity.

Apps and updates are the problems with some of these. Even though they may have access to google play, trying to get them to use these apps properly are an issue. For me trying to get a simple ESPN app to stream Monday night football was a joke on anything but a Nexus tablet or an ipad. One has to be ready for some concessions when you buy a cheapo.

aitt

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
@OP...thanks for sharing. Have been on the fence between the Samsung SE and the HTC ONE m8 for a month. Currently using the Ativ S and have been on WP for 3 years. I love my Ativ but to be honest, seems like improvements in the OS are always a case of "hurry up and wait". Just don't know. Thanks again.

I have nothing against Samsung, but seeing the S5 design against the M8 was a joke. That back really is awfully ugly more in person. The sad thing is we were looking for a phone for my wife, but she's stubborn still stuck on the Atrix 2 that hardly ever works. She didn't want one yet so I said ok, well, I'm gonna check out the M8 and use the money for that.

I would like to see the G3 and the Z2. I really wanted the Z2 but Sony sucks in the US getting phones out In timely matter. I also didn't think I would ever want a smaller screen than the 1520, but the 5 inch is very suffice. However, the 1520 and any Nokia phone with screen polarization kills everything in the daylight.

I like comparing the two phones and two OS. I can tell that Android needs a refresh with their OS. I guess that's what Silver is suppose to offer? I don't know but one thing for sure is that the M8 and the flat design and clearly abundant of Metro in this phone.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I have nothing against Samsung, but seeing the S5 design against the M8 was a joke. That back really is awfully ugly more in person. The sad thing is we were looking for a phone for my wife, but she's stubborn still stuck on the Atrix 2 that hardly ever works. She didn't want one yet so I said ok, well, I'm gonna check out the M8 and use the money for that.

I would like to see the G3 and the Z2. I really wanted the Z2 but Sony sucks in the US getting phones out In timely matter. I also didn't think I would ever want a smaller screen than the 1520, but the 5 inch is very suffice. However, the 1520 and any Nokia phone with screen polarization kills everything in the daylight.

I like comparing the two phones and two OS. I can tell that Android needs a refresh with their OS. I guess that's what Silver is suppose to offer? I don't know but one thing for sure is that the M8 and the flat design and clearly abundant of Metro in this phone.
Edit...I meant I was trying to decide between the m8 and Samsung Ativ Se

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Apps and updates are the problems with some of these. Even though they may have access to google play, trying to get them to use these apps properly are an issue. For me trying to get a simple ESPN app to stream Monday night football was a joke on anything but a Nexus tablet or an ipad. One has to be ready for some concessions when you buy a cheapo.

You think people who buy these things care about updates? Those of us who know will simply root (very easy from what I've read) and install either custom ROMS (the Android way of life) or sideload APKs. Either way, they'll be $50 on eBay within 2 months of ownership just like the first wave of Chinese tablets a couple of years ago.

Miska Hietala

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
For me it is the small things that makes me like the wp/lumia approach more. For instance I live in a country which has mostly dark days and freezing winter. For that, the sensitive screen my phone has which allows me to use the phone with gloves on is deal breaker. The camera this phone has allows me to take great pics in low light, which again is a must in country which has mostly low light days.
Then there is color. Got bored while I was in Ios and android world of always black/silver/white. Now I can have phone with brilliant yellow without any cover!
And then there is lag-free OS.
Ok other platforms has more apps, but for me it turned against me after honeymoon. The fact that you can install 30 different keyboards, video players, launchers etc. is mostly tiresome.

aitt

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I agree with allot you say. At the same time that explained why so many like Android. Choice. The fact you have options for launchers keyboard and whatnot is what to me make Android great. But I can understand tiresome. But the same could be said about wp until they allowed static wallpapers.

Thing is there's no "perfect" OS. I like WP and can appreciate Android. I just can't tie myself to one. I wanted to with WP. But that just restricts me.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
You think people who buy these things care about updates? Those of us who know will simply root (very easy from what I've read) and install either custom ROMS (the Android way of life) or sideload APKs. Either way, they'll be $50 on eBay within 2 months of ownership just like the first wave of Chinese tablets a couple of years ago.
I got bored installing the latest ROM on my android phones and tablets, I just thought that something i purchased new should work well out of the box and should receive timely updates. I guess it comes with age. I would rather just spend a little more and get a better product. Good luck with your purchase and have fun with your roms and apk's.

Games Goblin

May 26, 2013
Visit site
I tested the waters like OP by jumping back to android.

I had a mint shiny red Lumia 920 which I sold back in January and then got myself a DROID RAZR M - to cut to the chase, I wish I hadn't done it lol

The problem was android still feels disjointed to me. Not as fluid as WP and the keyboard is not as nice as WP as well (tried a third party keyboard "kiiboard" - while it's better than stock, still not as fluid as WP.).

Feature and app wise android may be ahead of WP - for instance the app selection and customisation - but whatever features WP has, it does it well, I feel.

The app problem with WP is because its the smallest platform. But, here in India WP is supported really well because WP has a strong presence in the budget-mid tier segments.

I am surprised that app gap is more in the US (Microsoft's home market). But as they say necessity is the mother of invention - for all those official apps which are absent in WP, we get to use well made (and mostly better) ones - myTube and 6tag come to mind.

At the end of the day, it does not matter which OS you are on, it only matters whether it works well for your needs.

And as for me? I sold the RAZR M and got myself a Lumia 630. Couldn't be happier! :)

Last edited:

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

Actually BLUs devices aren't half bad. But of you are buying cheap devices in the first place you obviously don't care about updates.

bomarco

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
I'll never understand choosing a platform because of the apps it offers. lol Yes, if you are one of those that need an app to tell you when to change you underpants, Windows Phone / RT isn't for you.

Just how did our parents make it without an app telling them its time to put us to bed?

Sent from my Surface 2 using Tapatalk

I'm not sure if you are being serious? Gosh, how did our parents make it without a Surface 2 (using, how ironic in this context, the APP Tapatalk)? You really mean to dismiss the need for apps based on how a prior generation got by without them? Do you use a TV, listen to music in a digital format or browse the internet? You do realize our parents (at least mine) did not have those either?

Last edited:

aitt

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
For sh*ts and giggles I loaded Launcher 8 in this phone and got sad. This phone seriously needs to come to wp.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb