Qualcomm’s next-gen PC processors to compete with Apple officially named Snapdragon X Series

naddy69

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
None of this will matter until all Windows software is converted to native ARM code . What's the point of super fast and efficient ARM hardware if you are just running Intel code in emulation?

I had a Surface Pro X in the summer of 2020 . At that time, lots of stuff included with Windows was still Intel code . Including notepad, Windows media player, etc . The Edge browser was ARM code and ran very fast, but the system service that was always running that checked for Edge updates was Intel code . How lame is that?

After a couple months I gave up on WOA and sold the X on eBay . The hardware was great - as good as an iPad Pro - but the software was a joke.

bradavon

Nov 27, 2016
Visit site
None of this will matter until all Windows software is converted to native ARM code . What's the point of super fast and efficient ARM hardware if you are just running Intel code in emulation?

I had a Surface Pro X in the summer of 2020 . At that time, lots of stuff included with Windows was still Intel code . Including notepad, Windows media player, etc . The Edge browser was ARM code and ran very fast, but the system service that was always running that checked for Edge updates was Intel code . How lame is that?

After a couple months I gave up on WOA and sold the X on eBay . The hardware was great - as good as an iPad Pro - but the software was a joke.
Agreed it won't matter until Windows 11 can also do x86 to ARM translation like MacOS.

But disagreed it's a joke. I've only been using a Surface Pro X SQ1 since 2020 and most apps run great or good.

The problems do exist but it was never a fair comparison when tech reviewers always review devices against such a limit selection of apps. Photoshop, Chrome and Slack basically

Microsoft really need to be getting Google onboard though. Chrome for Windows on ARM has been done for years at this point.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zahrajooon1254