Question about dual monitor capabilities in W10

DynaDog

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm hoping that some of you Windows 10 testers out there have some information about the start screen.

Specifically, is it possible to just put the start screen on one monitor and the desktop on another? I really use the live tiles and would like to keep my side monitor full of them while being able to work on the desktop on my main monitor. This seems like a natural capability for Microsoft to enable, but I haven't been able to find an answer.

I don't think I'll bother to upgrade my desktop from Windows 7 if it this isn't possible in Windows 10. Cortana makes upgrading tempting, but I mostly want to be able to set up my monitors this way.

KarateDad

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I have 3 monitors, and the experience in Win10 is very nice. The start menu icon appears on all 3, but if I hit the Start keyboard button, it only opens on my primary monitor. Desktop is available on all 3 (but I don't use the desktop icons, because they are always obscured by apps anyways). Also, you can choose if you want apps to appear on all taskbars, or only on the taskbar where the app is actually running (I choose the latter).

I also have a 27" WQHD, and I run it at 125% of size, and a 27" 1080HD right next to it, and the change is seamless (my 3rd is actually a 32" TV).

Sadly, you won't be able to keep live tiles open full time (ala Windows Gadgets), and no pinning of Live Tiles to the desktop (hopefully they will do this eventually). I actually use an app called "7 Sidebar" to enable gadgets on win10, and it works pretty well. I use it for a multi-timezone clock, CPU monitor and Network Monitor. Maybe someone could write an app to let you place live tiles in it and leave it pinned to the side of a monitor?!?!?

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I have a 27" WQHD, and I run it at 125% of size, and a 27" 1080HD right next to it, and the change is seamless (my 3rd is actually a 32" TV).
Given that setup, how does readability and clarity compare across the two 27" monitors? I wondered whether scaling up to 125% offsets the benefits of more pixels.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon