Question to Surface RT owners: What video formats can it play?

RedLine78

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I am trying to decide if I want to buy Surface RT or iPad 4. So far I am leaning toward Surface RT but from what I can gather from searching on the web from Surface RT reviews, I heard it can only play .WMV and .MKV file formats only? Can someone with Surface RT verify this? Most of my video files are in .MP4 and .AVI format so I would hate to convert them to .WMV.

ndschris

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
There's a great app on the Windows Store called PressPlay:Video, it's opened just about every video I've thrown at it. If you have Windows 8 on your PC maybe check that out before deciding between iPad or Surface.

One thing I will say though as an iPad owner (3rd gen), they're a ***** for video, you'll need to convert all your videos to an Apple-friendly format and sync through iTunes, it's far from convenient.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
There's a great app on the Windows Store called PressPlay:Video, it's opened just about every video I've thrown at it. If you have Windows 8 on your PC maybe check that out before deciding between iPad or Surface.

One thing I will say though as an iPad owner (3rd gen), they're a ***** for video, you'll need to convert all your videos to an Apple-friendly format and sync through iTunes, it's far from convenient.

There are 3rd party apps for iPad that will play more than mp4 files. I hope there are 3rd party apps or driver updates for the RT to play more than just wmv and mkv format. Can't believe it wont play .avi out of the box. Not many videos are encoded in avi of course.

Gken

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I am trying to decide if I want to buy Surface RT or iPad 4. So far I am leaning toward Surface RT but from what I can gather from searching on the web from Surface RT reviews, I heard it can only play .WMV and .MKV file formats only? Can someone with Surface RT verify this? Most of my video files are in .MP4 and .AVI format so I would hate to convert them to .WMV.
I also believe, not super sure, but VLC will be coming out with an app for RT. Don't qoute me on that though.

RedLine78

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site

Yeah, syncing through iTunes for me is why I don't want to get iPad 4 next. I have iPad 1 and my computer crashed last week and I had to reinstall Windows and everything including iTunes. I found out that I cannot add more stuff to my iPad via new install of iTune because library info is now different so it wants to wipe everything on my iPad before new stuff can be synced with new install of iTune.

It is good to know that there is at least 3rd party app to play commonly used video format.

neova333

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
There are 3rd party apps for iPad that will play more than mp4 files. I hope there are 3rd party apps or driver updates for the RT to play more than just wmv and mkv format. Can't believe it wont play .avi out of the box. Not many videos are encoded in avi of course.

It will play avi, mp4, and wmv out of the box.

edit: possibly other formats as well, but I haven't tried them all yet.

edit 2: A list of what the tegra 3 on windows supports: http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/tegra-3-uk.html

Last edited:

ylksa

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
So to summarize Surface can play some video formats out of the box, and if you do download PressPlay:Video from the Marketplace then you can play more.

Now the question if I play an MKV file on PressPlay:Video will it play it smoothly? I remember iPad 1 & 2 played MKV files with a 3rd party app but they kept stuttering, it was annoying, iPad 3 though played it smoothly. So I really hope Surface plays MKV files without any stuttering. Someone try it out and let us know.

Digital Moe

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
iPad 2 can now play MKVs very smoothly since Apple allowed devs access to the GPU and hardware acceleration. I really hope we get something similar on Surface.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
It will play avi, mp4, and wmv out of the box.

edit: possibly other formats as well, but I haven't tried them all yet.

edit 2: A list of what the tegra 3 on windows supports: Tegra 3 Processors

I just mistakenly stated something I read.

tegra 3 on w8:
H.264 (HP @ 40 Mbps)
VC-1
MPEG-2
MPEG-4
DivX 4/5
XviD HT
H.263
VP8
WMV
Real Video
VP6

I can only pick out MP4 and WMV from that list. Which decoding is avi?

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Building a rich and extensible media platform - Building Windows 8 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

0880.Media_2D00_file_2D00_and_2D00_stream_2D00_formats_5F00_526D9BCD.png

And PressPlay only plays the same formats that Windows does.

Last edited:

sleepyking

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
what videos are you guys trying to play by the way? I know it plays mp4 because I tried yesterday and it works.
I also tried wmv and avi, and those did not work.

also someone above mentioned not wanting to sync through iTunes. you can drag and drop if you set to manual.
the only gripe I have actually is that the movies (digital copies) I have in iTunes, I cannot get them on my Surface.

charlas

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Just tried an avi I have on my plex server (just from the network share though using explorer) it fired up Xbox video, and then said unsupported file format (xvid 1280x528 25fps 5mb/s with ac3 384kbps audio)

But the next one I tried which was also xvid/ac3 but at lower spec (720x304 2mbps) works fine, so its not just a codec thing.

Bluray rips in MP4 work just fine though, donit might just be the xvid that's not 100% compatible I tried.

Pretty much everything besides that I've tried though seems to play, although I use plex web and hacked the ie flash trust to allow it, plex is just easier all ways round, and the web app seems OK till we get a propped app.

In Xbox player

Screenshot%20%285%29.png

In plex

Screenshot%20%282%29.png

Last edited:

paulschapman

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

Happily played my downloads of trailers from iTunes out of the box. I do want to play some of my DVDs while on the move but the one DVD I ripped would not play - even though it was a WMV.

tomm1ed

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
No, just convert to .mp4 with HandBrake. The default iPad setting works fine for the Surface.

Well, that just plain sucks. I already sold my iPad thinking I could consume the MKV's on my NAS without issue but it seems that MS has taken the Apple road... 'Just convert it' doesn't quiet cut it when streaming movies from a SMB share (something I assume is possible?)

bartekxyz

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
Both mp4 and mkv file formats are containers which contains media streams(subtitles, audio, video, chapters), not codecs. If you have some mkv files just demux them and remux again as mp4. Converting instead of remuxing mkv to mp4 is waste of time and also quality degradation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077