Question: What else is missing from WP?

species5618

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Yes tile color options!!! I wonder what happend to all of the "Mango Beta" colors they had before the release??

There's a tool called Advanced Config that can change tile colors. It can be sideloaded on unlocked phones. Although it's not the lack of color that bugs me. I'd rather have customizable colors and sizes for each tile.

Background picture is another thing missing. Not so much on the home screen since the tiles covers most of it anyway, but the app menu can certainly use some customizable background.

Oh, another thing. Landscape support. Each tile should be able to rotate.

rabit1

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
And I mean features that everyone would use (C&P, Multitasking etc) not features that only the phone geeks would use really.

Has Mango addressed mostly everything or are there some basic stuff missing?

Thanks.

I would say the most glaring missing features for me is the lack of advanced settings and customisation.. Granted I understand Microsoft wants to keep it under control and make it simple, So to reduce problems that may come up (a trade off). But still we're missing actually a whole lots of things:

Direct Outlook sync,
Networking stuff: Static IPs, VPN, etc
Bluetooth
More settings for ringtones/notifications/vibrate
Other additional settings here and there would be great. Such as IE9 settings for tab buttons, auto hide bars, etc. Zune playlist also a problem for me.

I can't help the feeling that microsoft has gone the apple way, where it wants to control everything what user can or can not do. Too much control.

And access to WP7 for those who dare such as registry, direct access to file system, sideloading custom made apps.

Other than that.. great OS... :)

robshobs

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Mango has certainly improved WP7 more than I imagined. But there are a couple of things I was hoping would be included:

1. Repeating Reminders - if I miss a text/voice mail/email/etc, I would like to have the reminder repeat every X minutes (set by me) for Y number of times (also set by me).
2. Outlook Tasks - tasks can now be found in the Calendar app, however, they appear as just one long list. Looking forward to someone creating an app that accesses the data that is now sync'd via the phone's Exchange link.

Rob

theman60099

Banned
Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Yes tile color options!!! I wonder what happend to all of the "Mango Beta" colors they had before the release??
there weren't anymore colors in the betas than there are now.

I am glad it's not a problem for you. Thankful you are not the only customer for MS or we wouldn't have wp7 anymore. :)
they already fixed it from the first set of complaints, why would they want to return it to that? menso.
Zune playlist also a problem for me.

I can't help the feeling that microsoft has gone the apple way, where it wants to control everything what user can or can not do. Too much control.

And access to WP7 for those who dare such as registry, direct access to file system, sideloading custom made apps.

Other than that.. great OS... :)

so MS isn't allowed to lay down some ground rules? doesn't everyone have rules for their own houses? and the Zune playlist feature is there.

HerronScott

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Customized alert tones or at least let you use the alarm tones for text alerts!

Delete all or multiple deletion of text messages.

More volume control options (silent option without vibrate).

Scott

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Ability to pin shortcuts you use but don't use all the time to the apps list (or even just a new hub - my shortcuts) rather than the start screen.

E.g., I might go to one cinema a lot and want to pin the quick card for easy access, but I don't need a tile for that on my homescreen 95% of the time.

species5618

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
turn the volume all the way down

Which gives you, rolling drums...., vibrate. I am start to wonder whether you have a wp7 phone or not.

The way to turn vibrate off is in settings->ringtons+sounds->vibrate. Then you will have two choices in the status bar: ring/silent instead of ring+vibrate/vibrate.

Another thing missing is separate sound level for ring tone, media and alarm.

theman60099

Banned
Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Which gives you, rolling drums...., vibrate. I am start to wonder whether you have a wp7 phone or not.

The way to turn vibrate off is in settings->ringtons+sounds->vibrate. Then you will have two choices in the status bar: ring/silent instead of ring+vibrate/vibrate.

Another thing missing is separate sound level for ring tone, media and alarm.
I do have a wp7 phone menso. I guess I overlooked that one.
Ability to pin shortcuts you use but don't use all the time to the apps list (or even just a new hub - my shortcuts) rather than the start screen.

E.g., I might go to one cinema a lot and want to pin the quick card for easy access, but I don't need a tile for that on my homescreen 95% of the time.
this is an easy one, Bing search for the movie u want to see,look up the times and then pin that to start and simply unpin it when ur done with watching the movie

Vibrate still stays active when you turn the volume all the way down at least on my LG Quantum. I want silent with no vibrate as well as vibrate as options.

Scott

silent with no vibrate can be enabled in settings hy turning vibrate off and then vibrate with no ring is by turning vibrate on. that's enough with the nitpicking.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
1. Repeating Reminders - if I miss a text/voice mail/email/etc, I would like to have the reminder repeat every X minutes (set by me) for Y number of times (also set by me).

That is what the live tiles are...a constant, repeating reminder. Also, on the lock screen there is a constant, repeating reminder saying "X new Texts, Y new emails".

I do have a wp7 phone menso. I guess I overlooked that one.
this is an easy one, Bing search for the movie u want to see,look up the times and then pin that to start and simply unpin it when ur done with watching the movie

What is menso? You guys have said that a couple times now.

But that does not really solve the issue...one of the biggest things about the way the world is going is that a great mobile site completely can replace a company from making 3-4 apps (for Android, iPhone, RIM, WP7)...so, it doesn't matter Chase Bank doesn't have a WP7 app because their mobile site is great! However, it isn't something I want on my start screen but would like 2nd tier access too it, and would fit in perfectly in my app list...since it is an app replacement.

I agree 100%...I should be able to take something pinned to the start screen and drag it to the right and put it in my app list.

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks to species for the info.

Curtieson, I get what you're saying, unfortunately you're introducing either a forever-scroll start screen, or an app list with tiles (same thing, really). So the only real workaround is to just save that as a favorites in your browser.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site

But that's not what my example was - I said a cinema I might go to most often, not a specific movie. It might be very handy to have a shortcut to the Bing quick card for it, but it's not necessarily a tile I want on the start screen all the time.

Somewhere to stash other things like that other than start screen tile or not at all would be a very useful feature.

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
But that's not what my example was - I said a cinema I might go to most often, not a specific movie. It might be very handy to have a shortcut to the Bing quick card for it, but it's not necessarily a tile I want on the start screen all the time.

Somewhere to stash other things like that other than start screen tile or not at all would be a very useful feature.

on any other PC you'd just save the favorite in your browser, not put the shortcut on your desktop somewhere, though, correct?

While we are trying to get away from the desktop mindset, sometimes it works. Save your favorites in the browser if you don't use them every day. If you do, shortcut them to the Start screen.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Curtieson, I get what you're saying, unfortunately you're introducing either a forever-scroll start screen, or an app list with tiles (same thing, really). So the only real workaround is to just save that as a favorites in your browser.

I would say App List with Tiles. Not sure what a forever scroll screen would be...is our start screen limited?

So the only real workaround is to just save that as a favorites in your browser.

And yes..that is currently what I do...just want to bring it to my attention a little more, but not used enough to warrant space on the start screen.

Apoc

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Didn't know there was a limit, but then again, I guess once I go over a certain amount, I might as well go to the app screen

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
on any other PC you'd just save the favorite in your browser, not put the shortcut on your desktop somewhere, though, correct?

While we are trying to get away from the desktop mindset, sometimes it works. Save your favorites in the browser if you don't use them every day. If you do, shortcut them to the Start screen.

Can you save Bing search quick cards to the browser favourites?

Thing is though, there are other shortcuts - non-browser ones - that it might be useful to be able to pin to the app list if you don't always want a live tile up front, like an extra weather tile for somewhere you commute to/from, or a group you only check now and again. I just think it'd be a nifty feature - if you can pin something anyway, why not let people pin it to the start screen or the app list?

It isn't really a moan, it'd just be a nice bit of extra flexibility for a future update.

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I know this is pretty petty, but I wish that I could choose the snooze-timing length for my alarms. I saw a friend do that on his Android and, I'll admit, I was a bit jealous.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nehalwadehra