Rant - The Windows Phone subreddit is terrible

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm not really a big Reddit user but for the past few months I have been checking out the Windows Phone subreddit. My initial thoughts were that it was a decent place to get Windows Mobile news (in addition to Windows Central of course) and have discussions about the platform. However once I started participating in the comments I realized that the subreddit was just overrun with trolls from the Android and iPhone subreddits.

Any posts claiming that Windows Phone sucks, or MS sucks will get upvoted greatly, any posts talking positively about Windows Phone are called out as being delusional, or MS propaganda and downvoted to the bottom of the page. They even bash Windows Central and Dan because the articles here don't fit their anti-WP narrative. When you check comment histories you realize that the group of posters that frequently bash WP are regulars on the iPhone or Android subreddits. Oh yeah you also have the "writers" (i.e. hacks) from mspoweruser frequently stopping by to tell everyone how they think iPhone or Android phones are so much better than Windows Phones or Windows 10 in general.

Meanwhile the moderators don't do anything about cleaning the place up, and I don't even think most of them are active anymore. We all know Windows Phone is in a dark spot at the moment, and there are some significant negatives about the platform that should be discussed, but having every discussion derail into a Windows Phone bash fest gets tiring fast.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think you're exaggerating quite a bit, being someone who frequents the place.

People aren't trolls, they're disappointed. People talk about how other phones are better because they usually are. Microsoft isn't putting effort in and it shows. Even then, looking at /r/windowsphone right now looks pretty normal.

https://www.reddit.com/r/windowsphone

Right now I see threads regarding recent builds, the idea of every app needing a dark/light theme, how Continuum is awesome, and other Windows Phone talk. Hardly a "bashfest."

May I suggest /r/WinPhoneCircleJerk for a venue that better fits your needs?

(I'm only somewhat joking with that one.)

Last edited:

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I think you're exaggerating quite a bit, being someone who frequents the place.

People aren't trolls, they're disappointed. People talk about how other phones are better because they usually are. Microsoft isn't putting effort in and it shows. Even then, looking at /r/windowsphone right now looks pretty normal.

Well it has been a bit more quiet than usual the past week or two, but whenever there is some official news from MS, a new build, or new market share numbers the usual trolls come out of hiding.

There is also a difference between being disappointed and trolling. As a WP user myself there are a lot of things that disappoint me about the platform and I will discuss those with others. However, there are people there that openly admit to using other platforms (and either haven't used WP in years or have never used WP) and routinely come by to talk about how WP is trash, or that WP users are blind fanboys.

Funny you also mention the circlejerk sub, because the kids from that sub also tend to post their **** memes on the main sub yet the mods don't do anything, probably because most of them aren't even active anymore.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon