RE OneDrive's storage reduction, how do I protect my local files?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I only recently switched to Windows 10 and as my new computer came with OneDrive and 15 GB of free storage, I am a recent user of OneDrive as well. I just received an email today that OneDrive will be decreasing their storage limits and it was suggested to remove files from OneDrive to bring your storage within limits again.

I was doing so but noticed that as I deleted files off of OneDrive, it deleted them locally too ? that is, I couldn't find my files in Explorer and instead found them in my local Recycle Bin.

I'm sorry if this question is a silly one, or has been asked already, but I'm quite confused about why deleting files from the cloud deleted them locally too!

What actions are other people taking to protect their files from being deleted? How do I disconnect my local files from syncing to OneDrive, to protect them in the future?

Thank you for bearing with me, I hope this made sense!

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
In the File Explorer you have "This PC\Documents" and "OneDrive\Documents".

If you files are in the OneDrive folder then they are linked to the cloud and delete together. If in PC\Documents then they are only on your PC. You can move (drag) from OneDrive to "This PC" to move them out of the cloud into your PC.

Personally I'd pay (and I do) the relatively tiny monthly fee for more OneDrive space. The reason being that if my PC gets damaged or stolen then I still have all my files in the cloud. But it's all up to you :)

shonuff92

May 6, 2016
Visit site
Sorry, it seems I did not sign in before asking this question, but I am the original asker :)

Thank you so much for bearing with me and how new I am to Windows and OneDrive! I am seeing exactly what you are describing now ? I feel so silly now!

2.png

However I'm also seeing double libraries. I'm so sorry to further bother you, but how do I get rid of the "OneDrive" library so I don't accidentally save to there in the future?
1.png

Thank you so much for your patience and help!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria