Reboots

anth77uk

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Its been quite funny watching this issue spread. My second 8x has had reboots. Also my wifeys has as well. To be honest im convinced its an OS issue.

The phone is awesome though. It feels like a huge upgrade from my lumia 800. Luckily the OTA upgrade potential in WP8 fills me with hope that this issue will be fixed.

fierywater

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty convinced it's an OS issue. I've never had a reboot in Airplane Mode and all three of my reboots (since 11/15) have been in areas with spotty reception.

My years in IT tell me it's a software problem. I don't know what kind of hardware issue would predictably cause reboots solely under conditions where cellular service was active. The issue appears to manifest itself solely in the form of reboots; never lockups, instability or slowdown.

And there isn't anything all that special about the parts in the 8X; cell data is handled by a completely bog standard Snapdragon S4 SoC. If it had something that 99% of new phones today didn't have, I'd suspect a hardware fault, but the chip that would cause cell service related problems is one that's in millions upon millions of phones, none of which experience this issue (except, possibly, some Lumias).

It's still weird that it happens on both CDMA/LTE and GSM/HSPA(/LTE in the case of AT&T) units, though. I kind of expected one of the two to not have these issues, but it's clear that it affects a certain number of all 8X's on every carrier (and unlocked).

Hopefully someone will figure things out before my return policy is up. I wish we could get better diagnostic tools though. Something like the Windows Event Viewer would be invaluable here and save everyone a lot of hassle (assuming that it told us more than "The phone shut down unexpectedly").

Workbook89

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I've had my 8X on Verizon for a full week now, and I've yet to have a single reboot. Is it possible this is not affecting Verizon 8Xs?

I can confirm that the random reboot issue does impact 8X on Verizon. I pre-ordered online and finally received it on Monday afternoon -- it was rock solid through Tuesday. I noticed 2 reboots yesterday morning (Wednesday), so I followed a few suggestions posted on the Microsoft Answers page (turned off automatic updates, uninstalled Skype, set IE agent to mobile, cleared cache, and manually rebooted). No love -- noticed 2 more reboots yesterday afternoon, 1 last night, and at least 3 today.

I was not doing anything special prior to the reboots -- the phone was just sitting on my desk on my coffee table. The reboots have occured in GREAT coverage areas, so others that suspect that this is related to weak/poor signal may be on the wrong track.

I do love the phone and OS, so I am trying to be patient. However -- this is getting really annoying.

Saturday update:

I have hard reset the phone and the random reboots continue. Dozens of users Microsoft Answers site reporting that HTC is unaware of any issues (stock answer from their nearly non-existent support team), and Microsoft is silent.

**heavy sigh**

Last edited:

frek21

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
So my phone from Verizon has been randomly showing me a message that my sim card is missing or invalid. It also randomly shuts off and stays off. Has anyone else been having issues like this?

Workbook89

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
So my phone from Verizon has been randomly showing me a message that my sim card is missing or invalid. It also randomly shuts off and stays off. Has anyone else been having issues like this?

I have not. That sounds like a hardware issue... I'd take it in and either get a new sim card or swap the phone.

The random reboots "feels" more like a software/OS issue to me.

JBHorner#CB

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
This is a pretty serious black eye for either Microsoft or HTC. I'd add Verizon, too, as it would appear they didn't really do well testing this device. My handset rebooted 15 times yesterday; I know every time it reboots, as it vibrates on restart. (I then look and see the HTC screen.)

It seems the only option is to return it until they fix the issues. Waiting isn't an option, as it's unlikely that they will fix things within the 14 day return window stated by Verizon. If I was running an Android handset, and had side-loaded a bunch of apps, I could understand this. But this is a VERY locked-down platform, that is supposed to remain stable for that very reason. It's a great handset otherwise, but I just cannot accept random resets throughout the day. During the time of a reboot, there is a risk of missing a call.

Joel

Sheikmans

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I have a black 8X and use it intensively for almost 9 days. Still no reboot. Device works perfect.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

Workbook89

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm that the random reboot issue does impact 8X on Verizon. I pre-ordered online and finally received it on Monday afternoon -- it was rock solid through Tuesday. I noticed 2 reboots yesterday morning (Wednesday), so I followed a few suggestions posted on the Microsoft Answers page (turned off automatic updates, uninstalled Skype, set IE agent to mobile, cleared cache, and manually rebooted). No love -- noticed 2 more reboots yesterday afternoon, 1 last night, and at least 3 today.

I was not doing anything special prior to the reboots -- the phone was just sitting on my desk on my coffee table. The reboots have occured in GREAT coverage areas, so others that suspect that this is related to weak/poor signal may be on the wrong track.

I do love the phone and OS, so I am trying to be patient. However -- this is getting really annoying.

Saturday update:

I have hard reset the phone and the random reboots continue. Dozens of users Microsoft Answers site reporting that HTC is unaware of any issues (stock answer from their nearly non-existent support team), and Microsoft is silent.

**heavy sigh**

My 8X rebooted no fewer than 8 time this afternoon, so I exchanged it at the local Verizon store. Fingers crossed.

ljt1984

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Another one here to add to the growing list.

Purchased from Phones4U UK sim free on 10th Nov, died overnight, wouldn't switch back on or even recognise there was a charger plugged in, so returned it.

So next day, phone replaced and also got a new sim from EE store just incase. Phones still going (so far) but experiencing random re-boots when phones been in my pocket with no user interaction.

I have also noticed a couple of dropped calls, and the network operator/carrier name (when you tap on the phone tile) sometimes says "Local network operator" instead of T-mobile, despite having full 3g/3.5g signal

CaptDjob

May 11, 2012
Visit site
One here in Finland. Yellow Lumia 920, received thursday and four reboots up till now. Also today first time noticed when got a sms and trying to reply, phone gave error "could not send, retry". No help to retry. I tried to send sms to my gf, same error. Then I try to call my gf, nothing. No error, or reserved or anything. Just silence. Then asked my gf to call me, went straigth to the voice mail. Front screen showed everything was ok, full bars, 3G and operator was on. Then i tried to switch to offline mode and back. And simsalabim, everything worked again.

edit. sorry, this was apparently HTC 8X thread? But anyhow, it seems this is OS thing, not specific phone model issue.

pdt

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Not a single reboot yet, in 5 days of moderate to intense use of my HTC 8x (USA-Verizon). Also, the battery life is about the same as my old Droid3: it lasts until bedtime with moderate use, but runs out after about 8 hours with heavy use. Even my old Droid 3 couldn't make it 5 days without at least one random reboot. I have Skype installed but haven't used it much except for testing. "Heavy use" for me is installing and testing apps, so I'm not expecting much more of that, now that everything is all set up. I'm satisfied with the battery life and definitely happy with the stability.