Recorded video, file is nowhere to be found

unuzerounu

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
I recorded about 2 hours worth of video last night on the SD-card of my 735.

First issue was that around the 40-minute mark (I didn't really check, as I had the phone on a tripod and went about my business) the recording would stop and the phone would put itself on standby mode. I went "oh crap, thanks Windows" but thought nothing more of it and I started a new recording. This time, after just a few minutes, the recording would stop again and the phone would put itself in standby. This was beginning to be annoying, but I just patiently restarted recording. This time around I checked every 5-10 minutes and the phone kept on recording for about 30-40 minutes, but then it would stop again. Back to standby. Damn thing!

And as if this wasn't enough of a bad experience, when I checked for footage THERE WAS NOT A SINGLE FILE to be found anywhere. I have it set to record everything on a 32gb Class 10, ADATA mirosd card, but I even checked the internal storage.

NOTHING. ANYWHERE.

What gives? Anyone able to shed some light on this mysterious happening?

unuzerounu

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
All uploads to one drive are off and the card is not even 2 months old. I'd take it back but how do I even prove I should have about 2 hours' worth of footage and I don't? I imagine I'd sound crazy.

I shot video before (nothing longer than a few minutes at a time, admittedly) and lots of pictures, stored music on the card and nothing pointed at any sort off malfunction.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I recorded about 2 hours worth of video last night on the SD-card of my 735.

First issue was that around the 40-minute mark (I didn't really check, as I had the phone on a tripod and went about my business) the recording would stop and the phone would put itself on standby mode. I went "oh crap, thanks Windows" but thought nothing more of it and I started a new recording. This time, after just a few minutes, the recording would stop again and the phone would put itself in standby. This was beginning to be annoying, but I just patiently restarted recording. This time around I checked every 5-10 minutes and the phone kept on recording for about 30-40 minutes, but then it would stop again. Back to standby. Damn thing!

And as if this wasn't enough of a bad experience, when I checked for footage THERE WAS NOT A SINGLE FILE to be found anywhere. I have it set to record everything on a 32gb Class 10, ADATA mirosd card, but I even checked the internal storage.

NOTHING. ANYWHERE.

What gives? Anyone able to shed some light on this mysterious happening?

Another first-time iussue... Did you check both Phone and Card plugging it to a pc?.

About the 40 mins limit, That remember me the FAT format limit to 1 GB max per file on pc, dvd, and fat formatted sd.
40 mins FullHD surely touch the 1 GB storage limit

unuzerounu

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
Another first-time iussue... Did you check both Phone and Card plugging it to a pc?.

Yes I did. Nothing there.

About the 40 mins limit, That remember me the FAT format limit to 1 GB max per file on pc, dvd, and fat formatted sd.

Well the 40 minutes thing was rough guesstimate on my part. Last I checked that the recording was still running, was around the 30 minute mark on all occasions.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

You bring up a great point about the storage format. It could very well be the ~3GB FAT32 limitation (not 1GB). Since 32GB cards are formatted to FAT32 by default it could also be that the file size might have have increased beyond 3GB and the recording might have stopped after that. One should still blame Microsoft for not warning the user about file size limits or flash a "time left" message in the camera app when recorded to external SD cards formatted on FAT32.

@OP: If you intend to record long videos or store files larger than 4GB file size then always format your card to exFAT. Off course you'll need a PC to do that if your card size is 32GB or lower. 64GB and above are formatted to exFAT by default (within the phone and PC).

Edit: After thinking for some more time..I highly doubt a 30 min 1080p video would be more than 3GB in size. I am guessing it might be the SD card crapping out.

unuzerounu

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
Yes the FAT32 limit is a great point and not something I was aware of before you guys brought it up. Gonna format the card to exFAT and see if that does anything.

However, considering this, I still think I at least should have been left with whatever could be saved within the FAT32 limit, but nooo, I guess Microsoft saves and writes to storage only when you hit the stop record button.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I knew Lumia itself formats sd card in FAT mode, not FAT32, so with 1 GB per file limit.
I don't know if the Phone could use more formats, I never used a card bigger than 16 GB and I didn'y see any chioice

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
in all cases it should simply record until max size is reached so you end up with a corrupted file at worst, not an empty video folder, if you check the sdcard available space does it look like there -should be- some big video files inside? at this point you most likely have blown the opportunity to do file recovery though

unuzerounu

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
in all cases it should simply record until max size is reached so you end up with a corrupted file at worst, not an empty video folder, if you check the sdcard available space does it look like there -should be- some big video files inside? at this point you most likely have blown the opportunity to do file recovery though

Nah, I checked, filled size was the same I remember it was before recording.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb