Red Light at the top right of my Lumia 920..

Mick Manning

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
I have had my 920 for just under a month and have recently noticed a red led light on the top right of my device (just above the Nokia logo)

Does anyone know what this is for and why its there? I have been having freezing issues recently could it be anything to do with this?

Many Thanks :smile:

halcyonboy

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
That's your proximity sensor. Which sometimes depending on the angle can look a bit red. I don't think it is likely linked to the freezing issues you're having though. It really is just there to detect when something is near the front of the phone (like the side of your head when you're making a call, which switches off the screen).

What apps are you generally using when the freezing occurs?

Mick Manning

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm not usually using anything, it mainly happens after charging. Starts with being unable to open messages or receive/make calls. So I turn the phone off and on again...sometimes it loads up and works fine for a few hours. Other times it won't go past the Nokia screen! I'm thinking a software issue maybe? I have reset the phone and at the moment it seems to be ok...however I have not charged it yet.

wpguy

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
Kinda sounds like a hardware issue. But you could try uninstalling all apps you installed since before you noticed the problem and see if that helps.

HM02

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
You know how some cameras have a red 'recording' light?
That's totally what it is. The NSA is recording your every move.

halcyonboy

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully the reset has fixed things. Sometimes got to just blame ghosts in the machine.

I know when I had a similarly weird issue when i did the latest update to whatsapp, but uninstalling it and going a fresh install fixed it. So hopefully your reset has managed to sort whatever the issue was too!

devize

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Like halcyonboy said, that's the proximity sensor. At certain angles it looks red. Wouldn't have anything to do with your freezing issues.

OndrejBakan

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi, yesterday I installed WP8.1 + Cyan (Lumia 920 CZ CV) and now I noticed, that there is very bright and strong red light flickering at the top right... Even when the phone is turned off! Also, the unlock button is not responding every time, it happens now after update.

Well, soft reset didn't help, so I am going to try hard reset. Anyone with some issues?

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I just found out I have the same exact issue, there is a small light that is always on now, even when the phone is turned off right above the N in nokia where the proximity sensor is located.. Any clue of what is happening? I just upgraded to 8.1

thanks!

OndrejBakan

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

it does not necessarily mean anything. But in my case, when I first saw the red light flickering, my proximity sensor stopped working. Then I sent my L920 for repair. It was returned repaired with statement "defective USB connector, replaced". But yesterday it showed again :( So I carried my phone to service center again :/

1st time proximity sensor didn't work, when I call to someone the display remained black. Now it did the opposite, when I call to someone, display don't go dark, it remains active.

Last edited:

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
The red light usually comes up when the screen is off but when Glance is ON. To really test if its not a hardware problem, turn off Glance, soft reset phone and check if the light still shows up. On a similar note, I have never seen the red light on my 920 but its easily visible on my 925, both have Glance always turned ON

OndrejBakan

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi again,

so my Lumia 920 returned from service center, claiming the issue was caused by "damaged system" and fixed by "flashing new software". Well, the salesman warned me to not install suspicious and dangerous applications like Viber (LOL!), because it can cause some OS issues. I lol'd, but I didn't want to argue with someone, who knows barely nothing...

Well, so I told him, I'll be right back next week, I guess. I returned to home and saw red light blinked. So, today I put SIM into L920 and waited for issue to return. I caught it on the video, you can clearly see the light next to front camera, it is red in real world, blue on the video.

I am going to the shop again on Monday and because this is 3rd time I am claiming same issue, I will get refunded (if the repair is recognized as warranty), so I will get 830 / 930 / 1020.

Link: youtu.be/wwDetKphrxo

OndrejBakan

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
It's bright only on video, in real life it is weak red light. Strange thing it is working for 2 days now, the light didn't show again. Which is kinda sad, because I wanted to replace my phone with newer model :/ :D

Now I really hope my phone will break again :D

OndrejBakan

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
It seems like I just figured out how to simulate this issue.

Take your phone and put it against some strong light source, like lamp, sun, etc. Then red light shows up, start flickering and proximity sensor stops working. Strange thing is, it restored back to normal after a while and I can't simulate it again. It just showed for a second while turning off the Glance Screen.

Bad thing is that in our repair center, they have like 5 mins to test the phone, so it's hard to claim issue that shows up for few seconds / minutes a day...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb