Redfly 2?

slimp

Apr 30, 2009
Visit site
How can the Redfly compete with Netbooks? They are completely different animals but currently share too much of the same market space...

Here is what I would love to see in a new version:
1) 1600x960 screen: The pixel density on VGA phones is the new standard.
2) Touch screen
3) Detachable keyboard (RF2 would be a Tablet terminal when removed)

Nice to have
1) Added hardware to support video streaming (tricky add because it might add too much cost)

Retain the existing specs
1) 8 hr battery
2) compact size

This would be a very powerful device that would set itself apart from the netbook market. It would exploit the essence of why the Redfly attracted me while added features that no other device currently offers. (no more... why wouldn't I spent $100 and get a netbook)

I primarily use my phone for: phone calls (duh), PIM, Google Maps, Ebook reading. Phone and PIM functionality are obviously covered well with the phone. But the last two functions are limited as currently implemented.

Google Maps works great in mobile scenarios... but what about my car? I refused to drop 2k on a dedicated nav system when my phone can handle the task except for the screen size. I would love to add a mount to my dash to attach my RF2. It would work in perfect unison with my built in BT (Microsoft Sync) providing a much less expensive full featured alternative.

Personally, I can handle reading ebooks on my phone but most people say the screen is way too small. I agree for anything that has graphics... which is why the Amazon Kindle has traction. A tablet styled terminal for a phone would sure make an attractive alternative...

Lastly, having a removable keyboard closes the circle to allow me to work efficiently while traveling.

This feature set would allow me to integrate the RF2 into many aspects of my life which would add value. (to offset the increased cost) I haven't done a market survey to see if there is an existing device, but I would buy the above device IMMEDIATELY.

My 2 cents. ;)

slimp

Apr 30, 2009
Visit site
also... I don't know how evil a partnership is with Microsoft, but if they were smart, they would put some $$ into the pot to further their Sync system. I just bought a new car with it and they could do SO much more.

A WM smartphone, Sync enabled car, AND tablet Redfly could be such a powerful combination. I know it's a detour from the original intent of the RF but it could open up a new emerging market. Right now the WM phone and Sync combination is pathetically under-utilized and the Redfly architecture is perfect for this environment. (The Sync is essentially an audio Redfly)

cplush#WP

Dec 26, 2008
Visit site
since getting the redfly, the one thing ive wished for is some kind of graphical enhancement on the redfly side, relying on the phone to do the graphics is pushing it a little, even with my 628mhz omnia it can bog on the graphics. i love the idea of the redfly, just think it needs some added 'guts' to help with the heavy lifting

mknollman

Dec 22, 2008
Visit site
I hate to admit it, but for this and other reasons I find myself jealous of netbooks every now and again. With the release of Windows 7 running like scalded dog on netbooks - I want one. My father uses an Asus EEE and it hauls the mail with windows 7. He uses his phone as the internet connection and always lets the thing hibernate. So the startup is less than 30 seconds. I love my Fly and do not want to ever be without it, but with a full Windows interface, LARGE hard drive, and REAL usb support - I haveto say I have some gadget envy. This is a lot coming from me as I am one of the guys that has been talking up the Fly over a netbook for 8 months now. I think the folks above may be right about Celio needing to innovate again if they want to stick. With refurb asus eee with a gig of ram, atom processor,and 120gb HD on sale for $199 - Celio may have a tough road ahead if they can't either offer a little more or charge a little less.

We still get instant on, less upkeep, and longer battery, but I would trade SOME of that to be able to watch a flick or two. We will have to see - I hope Celio keeps pushing as I really do see this vision of the smartphone as a PC as the future.

BengtBeier

Nov 23, 2008
Visit site
Well, maybe the Redfly should come in two flavours - one for businesses and one for consumers. The consumer version could incorporate more features, a better shell on top of WinMobile and maybe even a large inbuilt flash drive while the business version would do away with all this fuss and purely concentrate on the virtualization sector (and not have an inbuilt drive for data security reasons)...

wodin

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
We still get instant on, less upkeep, and longer battery, but I would trade SOME of that to be able to watch a flick or two. We will have to see - I hope Celio keeps pushing as I really do see this vision of the smartphone as a PC as the future.
My new EEE PC 1000HE arrived yesterday, and I have to confess I'm leaning your way. I installed a 2 GB RAM stick and a 250 GB HDD right out of the box and loaded Windows 7 on it. With an advertised 9 1/2 hour battery life, and nearly instant on from standby the only disadvantage I see is the size. It's half again as big and heavy as my 'FLY, but oh so much more capable than my phone. TCO doesn?t really figure because both are personally owned, and I don?t need an IT Dept to maintain either one.

I loaded PDANet, but am having trouble getting it to connect either in BT or USB mode. If I can get that working right it?ll replace my ?FLY as my always with me machine.

cplush#WP

Dec 26, 2008
Visit site
yeah, im looking at that tegra powered nova as maybe a replacement for my fly, i love the fly, but it just bogs too much for me....the lack of extra storage, the fuss needed to play videos on it...call me a consumer but media is important to me and also speed....i have also pushed the fly over netbooks, but with battery lifes increasing, im being drawn.......

mknollman

Dec 22, 2008
Visit site
@wodin - if you can't work the bugs out of pdanet - consider wmwifirouter - similar functikonality but can create open wifi networks for multiple devices - this should sidestep any compatibility issues you may have with 7.

End of hijack

wodin

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
Thanks mknollman,

I'll remember that if I ever upgrade my HTC Touch to a Touch Pro (or other WiFi enabled phone). I saw on their website that Internet Sharing had to be enabled. I'm not sure mine is, but I haven't been able to get it working either. I think Sprint might have it shut off in the registry.

I got PDANet working with USB, but still no joy with BlueTooth.

kraski

Oct 12, 2008
Visit site
I got PDANet working with USB, but still no joy with BlueTooth.

Interesting. I finally got a bluetooth connection working between my Treo Pro & my Redfly, but not always & if the connection drops, you have to reboot both before they'll connect again. Never did get BT working for PDAnet.

wodin

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
Interesting. I finally got a bluetooth connection working between my Treo Pro & my Redfly, but not always & if the connection drops, you have to reboot both before they'll connect again. Never did get BT working for PDAnet.

I've had PDANet work in a former life (different phone and different laptop) so I know it works in theory.

My current phone doesn't present a DUN as one of the available Bluetooth services. It dosen't work with my Nokia Internet Tablet either so I'm pretty sure it's the phone that's the problem.

EdFrmBrighthand

Aug 8, 2007
www.brighthand.com
This thread has gone off topic. To get it back on the subject of the Redfly2...

Actually, I'm OK with the current hardware. I think it could stay around for at least another year without a problem. That said, I'd like to see better video support, but I'm not sure that can be solved with hardware, unless Celio decides to build a video player into the device.

What I want more is support for additional mobile platforms. I'd prefer Celio to be putting their time and money into an Android and BlackBerry version of the driver, rather than making a new device.
-

kraski

Oct 12, 2008
Visit site
I've had PDANet work in a former life (different phone and different laptop) so I know it works in theory.

My 1000HE has wireless, but not bluetooth. So, unless I get a BT adaptor, that one won't work. But, to bring this back on topic, I think the combination of a good netbook & the Viewer software is the new Redfly2. Both ethernet & usb connections are already there. A full OS should have better video drivers. Which would allow Celio to focus on the software end & compatibility with more phones. According to all the stats, even though it's a small segment of the US phone market, Symbian has a much larger part of the worldwide phone market. And, as much as I don't like the iPhone, that's been a rapidly growing market everywhere. I'd be surprised if there isn't a large enough segment of each crowd that would be really happy to stay with the familiarity of their phone os, but with the enhanced capability of a larger screen & full keyboard.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leliawindler