Removed features: What do you miss the most?

Whodaboss

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
This new iteration of Windows Phone (WP10) is a shell of what the original version was. It sucks! I can't blame Windows Central for hyping and pretending Windows Phone 10 is good. They have to eat too. But damn, I wished I had never started with Windows Phone 7 then I wouldn't know what I was actually missing. Windows Phone 10 is a total crap in terms of the OS behavior. It truly pains me when I use WP10. As I was doing an actual comparison this afternoon with all 3 iterations, the original still stands out as number 1! Sure it needed some additional improvements but it didn't need to be gutted. I agree with you 1000% ScubaDog!

Whodaboss

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I can't believe I forgot to mention the volume control issue! I HATE that I have to spend half and hour adjusting flipping volumes when a simple press up or down on the volume control fixed it all. What you have to do now is just retarded.

I also can't believe I forgot to mention the built-in QR scanning AND TRANSLATION!!! I live on the Texas border w/Mexico and there are times I really found the ability to immediately translate some signage or document was very handy.

And that's why I first stated "some" of the things I miss from the previous versions, because there is so much to miss you can't get them all! :(

PF Mail

Jan 27, 2016
Visit site
Agree on many of the above, including the FM radio, QR scanner, and even the 8 Metro interface. To me the Metro interface with the bigger font makes Windows phones unique. I still find myself recover back to 8.1 and amaze how much better the phone and apps run. I guess Microsoft is really pushing with UWP, so that anything that's unique to a platform gets scratched.

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
Windows Phone was love at the first sight for me. I was using a mid range Xperia, which had its own problems like lags and freezes still worked ok for most of the time and I was pretty happy with it. And never thought something could be better. Then one day at a crowded place, I saw a person with Lumia 710 who happened to open the dialer app in front of me. I was awe struck at the fluid animation and the clean UI. So much that I bought a Lumia 920 which was a flagship back then. Sadly it got stolen some days ago and now I'm with my dad's Lumia 520. Windows 10 is so unstable on it that I can't use it as a daily driver. I miss almost all the old things like Metro UI and all the hubs.

Last edited:

joe_s

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I miss updating live tiles for Groups for notifications for emails, texts, and calls. In Win 8.1, I could glance at four group tiles and quickly assess status with sixty-eight critical contacts, including executive management, clients, staff, and members from two different Boards. Am I supposed to ask all these people to join GroupMe? Riiiiiight.... :eck:

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I can't believe I forgot to mention the volume control issue! I HATE that I have to spend half and hour adjusting flipping volumes when a simple press up or down on the volume control fixed it all. What you have to do now is just retarded.

I also can't believe I forgot to mention the built-in QR scanning AND TRANSLATION!!! I live on the Texas border w/Mexico and there are times I really found the ability to immediately translate some signage or document was very handy.

Maybe what I miss most of all is hope that the platform will still be around in a year and/or starting to pick up steam.

I also think there is too much customization of the start screen. When I signed on with Windows 7, it was such a clean and unique looking experience. Now with small icons and larger screens, the home screen often looks like a cluttered, disorienting mess. That started happening around Windows 8.1 and has gotten worse with Windows 10. The Start Screen is starting to look like one of those old desktops with every shortcut pinned to the desktop if every icon would just randomly flip around with no clear timing or interval.

A good change would be the ability to swipe live tiles sideways to cause them to flip. I hate when I miss the information flipping around.

calbro

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
This is a trademark of Microsoft especially if it's a feature that users like they will cut it in the next OS. They have never been big on new features and usually just add back some of the basics that were there originally in the prior OS calling it an upgrade. They will spin their tires in the mud meaning we will be much more grayer before adding new features if at all.

Keith Hooker

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I can't believe nobody has mentioned that 10 no longer reads my text messages to me when I'm on headphones (or plugged into the aux jack of my car, which was most of the time I'm in my car).

Kar98

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I can't believe nobody has mentioned that 10 no longer reads my text messages to me when I'm on headphones (or plugged into the aux jack of my car, which was most of the time I'm in my car).

That setting is (or was, last time I checked which has been a while) under Cortana.

IsraelDuran

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
-Twitter integration
-Old photos app (not having to select what folder to save pictures in, them just automatically going into saved pictures)
-Pro Mode in Lumia camera (new camera app will auto adjust all your photos regardless and making manual settings useless)

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
The 'swipe right to see the last photo you took' is one that I keep missing. So intuitive and quick. Why on earth did they remove that?!

Sent from mTalk, a great Tapatalk alternative

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I miss being able to set your weather as your lock screen. I also miss being able to actually remove the weather app if you wanted to.

To me, that was one of the best things about that app, being able to set it as your lock screen.

aussiedog61

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
Not being able to choose default apps for opening content, mainly Maps. I much prefer Navigon to Windows Maps. Pressing on any address from a Bing search, my People hub, text message, email, whatever takes me to Maps app. Ugggh. Please bring this function back.

Double tap to wake. To be fair my 950 XL never had it, but I do miss that feature from my 925 days..

I still miss Zune. Groove is growing on me, but it still doesn't have the same appeal to me as Zune did.

I can't remember if my 925 read aloud group text replies, but Cortana still can't do that. Instead of reading what someone's reply in a group chat was, she will say, 'no subject'. At least they fixed her reading aloud individual texts (until the next build at least :winktongue:)

Most of the other gripes have already been listed by others.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre