Reset Tablet to factory 8.1 or clean install windows 10?

JeggyJager

Jan 19, 2017
Visit site
Hello guys,
I have a Lenovo ThinkPad 8 tablet which came with windows 8.1 and I was very happy with it. After I upgraded to windows 10 things were smoot at first but recently I noticed a noticeable battery drain even if the device is in sleep mode (battery drains completely in 8-10hours even in sleep mode). But the most frustrating things are the apps not working. Mail, calendar, maps, photos, even OneNote and Wunderlist. I would like to reinstall the whole device but I am not sure how to proceed. Should I do the factory reset back to Win 8.1 losing the free Win 10 upgrade or should i do a clean install of Win 10? Is it even possible to do a clean Win 10 install if I don´t have the product key? Is it worth keeping Win 10 in an 8 inch tablet?

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi Welcome to Windows Central. I don't know why your having a issue with your battery. I personally have no use for sleep mode, but that's just me. Batteries do wear out. Yes you can do a clean install if you have validated your Microsoft digital Key. Here's link that explains W10 Digital Key! https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12440/windows-10-activation
Here's link from HTG how to do a clean install. How to do a Clean Install of Windows 10, the Easy Way
If you have more questions, I hang out here and I log in frequently. I would be happy to answer any questions you might have. IMHO, I would keep W10 and give it another try before rolling back to W8.1 Let me know how things go for you!:wink:

JeggyJager

Jan 19, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. Yesterday I used the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool with which I was able to do a clean reinstall pretty easily. Looks like everything is working just fine. All the apps are running smooth and even the battery kept its charge over night :). I just hope I won´t have to do this reinstall often. However I noticed similiar issue on my desktop PC where the built-in windows apps are crashing after couple seconds, Calendar, Mail and so on. But it doesn´t bother me as much as I don´t use those apps on my PC (i wanted to use them but after they stopped working a quit). I just feel disappointed that I fell for their huge universal app marketing when they announced windows 10 and I switched all my devices to windows 10.... I´m still waiting for those apps to come... or at least the few apps we have to work correctly without a need to reinstall windows once in a while... sorry I´m turning this into a rant :D

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi ! Thanks for your reply. I'm glad the clean install worked for you! Here's how I handle this kind of issue. I use a 3rd party image program(Macrium Reflect). I create a image of my OS at least once a month. Some times more often, if I'm making a lot of changes.I'm sorry you don't like W10. I really like it. I think it will keep improving.:wink: It's good to rant a little. I rant a lot!:grin: Don't be a stranger. Come back often and share your knowledge with the forum.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cagkles124