Review of the Optimus G Pro (and Android) by a WP Lover

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Not very long. While I tend to agree with you, I can usually see the signs early on. On my nexus 7, I could see some issues from the beginning and that it would only get worse. Also, I don't plan on doing a lot of customizing (such as live wallpapers, different launchers, etc) that tend to cause issues.
I have the Nexus 7 and until I rooted it with SentinalRom,something I never intended to do, it was on the fast track to Craigslist. Not that is isn't still going, just not today. :)

But I digress. I can't disagree with you about how smooth the Optimus G Pro is because it is. But its one of those things until you get one home, you only get to half the picture. My son reviews these things for his blog so we get review units in. I've had one over a week as a daily driver. The first thing I notice with this is how decent the battery is for such a large display. I got almost 2 full days on it. It also has built in QI and if i sit it on my wireless charger, it charges. Camera isn't bad and I did like the photo management.

It runs pretty well with the few apps I installed on it. And its thin. So thin in fact it feels emaciated for lack of a better word. I'm used to the heftiness of my L920 but got used to it after a few days.

One day I opened the flood gates and let almost my full complement of android apps have at the Optimus G Pro. And while I agree some android developers are worse than others, apps like Flipboard, that ran great before, developed a noticeable stutter. It wasn't constant and not easily reproducible but definitely noticeable. Several others did too. My Lumia 920 is pretty thick with apps and games and I have yet to experience lag. But props on the compare and contrast post.

I am curious about something though, what are your thoughts on the HTC One?

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I really can't say much about the One. I know people with it but I haven't owned it myself. Wish I could afford to pick it up also.

And to the guy that mentioned USB, I get them mixed up all the time! Every time I buy a cord, I have to look up which it is.

I haven't had lag on the Pro yet and I have thrown numerous hungry apps at it at the same time. That said, even the best computer will see at least a little slow down over time.

Dethzilla

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Good review dude...
I left WP8... and specifically the Nokia 920 for one specific app I use to help with my business... I got a Galaxy S4.... and boy, do I miss my Windows phone. Two features I didn't realize I would miss that much is 1. The Dedicated camera button. 2. The home button which on the nokia is literially just a area you touch... I HATE THE F****NG BUTTON ON THE GALAXY S4... Like...I literally want to throw it... but the phone's so light it would float to the ground like a feather. Heck...I even miss the weight of my 920.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Good review dude...
I left WP8... and specifically the Nokia 920 for one specific app I use to help with my business... I got a Galaxy S4.... and boy, do I miss my Windows phone. Two features I didn't realize I would miss that much is 1. The Dedicated camera button. 2. The home button which on the nokia is literially just a area you touch... I HATE THE F****NG BUTTON ON THE GALAXY S4... Like...I literally want to throw it... but the phone's so light it would float to the ground like a feather. Heck...I even miss the weight of my 920.

Dedicated camera button is nice to have. Even if you don't use the one 'open' button on the Pro for the camera, you can still open the camera directly from the lockscreen. Not a bad option at all. Also, I feel you on the home button. It does feel like more work when you are used to a capacitive home button. Though I think, as a former 920 user, you can agree that sometimes the back button on the 920 could use being a physical button! I don't know how many times I have accidentally pressed it.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I can't see myself going back to android but this was a lovely review.

LG has a much more attractive product than samsung but their support is pathetic on most of their devices but the Optimus G Pro is a lovely android device...even if it is using android :p

MYNAMESALEX

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
I really can't say much about the One[TITLE][/TITLE] I know people with it but I haven't owned it myself. Wish I could afford to pick it up also.

And to the guy that mentioned USB, I get them mixed up all the time! Every time I buy a cord, I have to look up which it is.

I haven't had lag on the Pro yet and I have thrown numerous hungry apps at it at the same time. That said, even the best computer will see at least a little slow down over time.

Lag over time on computer systems is typically associated with fragmentation, broken links and packages, and other similar junk that finds its way onto your system. It's true that Windows is notorious for this, but not all OS actually suffer from these problems. I'm not sure about android as much but from what I understand Linux doesn't suffer from file fragmentation at all, and has faster file access times than Windows.

Galaxy S2 ftw

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
2. The home button which on the nokia is literially just a area you touch... I HATE THE F****NG BUTTON ON THE GALAXY S4... Like...I literally want to throw it... but the phone's so light it would float to the ground like a feather. Heck...I even miss the weight of my 920.

Dedicated camera button is nice to have. Even if you don't use the one 'open' button on the Pro for the camera, you can still open the camera directly from the lockscreen. Not a bad option at all. Also, I feel you on the home button. It does feel like more work when you are used to a capacitive home button. Though I think, as a former 920 user, you can agree that sometimes the back button on the 920 could use being a physical button! I don't know how many times I have accidentally pressed it.

Ok guys I'm here to (possibly) save the day! I've been looking at the LGOG as well but I hate that button! Here's my solution: look up the app "SwipePad." It lets you designate half of one edge of your screen to swipe from, which pulls up preset apps or shortcuts, and drag your finger over that icon to launch it. I am ridiculously in love with this app and after testing the LGOG I realized that swipepad has a "home button" shortcut you can set so you never have to press that damn physical button to get back to the home screen! This app runs over any app except camera mode as far as I can tell so it'll make you a multitasking BEAST. You'll never need to see your homescreen again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria