Samsung Galaxy Book 2 | What am I losing by going from Windows 10s to 10

Masumih

May 30, 2019
Visit site
What will I be losing by going from Windows 10S to Windows 10?

I know that battery life could be affected? Any experiences on this? How much would you say the reduction was?

Am I still able to use apps in the Microsoft Store? I don't use many to be honest. But it would still be nice to have access to Netflix, Spotify, and so on. Or would I be able to download the standard version out of the store now?

What performance issues could I expect if any? What I mean is that I would be using Chrome now. From what I've seen it should be fine. It is my primary browser.

The Windows 10S is suppose to be more secure by being baked in to 10S? So now I will have to add additional antivirus software? If so, what did you use? Or what would you recommend?

Thanks in advance. My apologies for sounding a bit green. I'm actually a bit tech savvy, but am confused by the whole 10s and 10 differences. Not to mention there is the handicap of this running off of a Snapdragon.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
10S is a walled garden, so supposedly more secure, whilst 10 is the world beyond the wall, large and unknown, with potential dangers. Before we answer your questions, why do you want to move to 10? What are you not happy about with 10S?

Masumih

May 30, 2019
Visit site
The biggest issue that I have is not being able to use Google Chrome. I wish there was a way to easily transfer my google passwords to the edge browser. Without using a password manager. But I have been unable to do so. I tried downloading the Chrome html file with passwords, but couldn't get it onto the edge browser. In the end, a chromebook would have worked out better for many of the things that I do everyday. But I wanted to have a laptop on my mobile account, and there is not a chromebook option. So I went with the Galaxy Book 2. Would be sweet if this dualbooted both...

And also not being able to use some additional apps related to syncing certain things like my Suunto watch, Garmin InReach, and so on. These apps cannot be used.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
The biggest issue that I have is not being able to use Google Chrome. I wish there was a way to easily transfer my google passwords to the edge browser. Without using a password manager. But I have been unable to do so. I tried downloading the Chrome html file with passwords, but couldn't get it onto the edge browser. In the end, a chromebook would have worked out better for many of the things that I do everyday. But I wanted to have a laptop on my mobile account, and there is not a chromebook option. So I went with the Galaxy Book 2. Would be sweet if this dualbooted both...

And also not being able to use some additional apps related to syncing certain things like my Suunto watch, Garmin InReach, and so on. These apps cannot be used.

Using a password manager would be the most obvious way to do this. LastPass is supported on both edge, and chrome. You'd just load it on both browsers (using another machine for chrome), go through all your passwords, and then when done you could delete LastPass, and your passwords would be saved in the password manager.

Insofar as chrome itself goes, Edge is being updated to chromium engine, suspected to come out later this year, and then it will basically be the same, but with extra features. Ie you can use browserless PWA apps (like google ones; youtube, maps, gmail etc, save em to your desktop or start menu), and any chrome extensions. There's a dev version out right now that I use, but it won't be rolled out to everyone else, till it's done (hence you can't get it on s). They say it will roll out to 'every version of windows 10, even windows 7/8', so I think you can be fairly confident chrome will basically be redundant by the end of the year.

As for switching, I'm told s runs a little bit faster, because of UWP, and everything being containerized (also s, has a few less background services).

Also it's technically less secure for the same reason. If your machine is fast enough, and you are comfortable with managing your own security (like running virus and malware programs etc), you could probably happily switch.

Up to you.

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site

, I don't think you will even want to run Chrome on a Galaxy Book 2, performance and battery life will probably be so so compared to e.g. Microsoft Edge. As for dual boot, perhaps there is an Android version available for dual-boot. I once had a Chuwi tablet that had both had Windows 10 and Android 5, so perhaps it is possible (though watch out for outdated / not secure versions of Android).
As for leaving S mode; I don't think it effects the system much as long you as don't go to shady sites to download viruses etc and you should use an adblocker/malwareblocker on your browser (like you should on Android etc). You should keep in mind though that native apps (that don't need translation) run way faster and more efficient on Windows on Arm (/Galaxy Book 2) than legacy/old programs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05