Saying good bye to my Band

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
Welp, add me to the list of those with broken Band 2's. Today my Band ripped open on one side where it goes from being stiff to flexible. Not sure what happened, I was handling boxes and packages at work when I noticed it. Not much point trying for a replacement, MS already turned me down once for 'excessive wear' with my Band 1. Besides, even if they replaced it, it'll just happen again. Guess I'll just use my Fenix 3 until the new Fenix 3 HR arrives. Too bad, the Band and surrounding ecosystem shows a lot of promise, but its just not durable enough to be worn 24/7 while doing physical activity.

badbandit

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site
i had the same problem with the band 2 and got it replaced. if this happens again i want a refund. two broken band 1 and two broken band 2 are enough. i am tired.

i would love to buy a fenix 3 but its size is giant. i can not imagine to wear it all/most of the time.

JGtz

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm getting real tired of the Band product line also.
Bought my Band 1 on release date...had it replaced twice over the course of 13 months.

Bought Band 2 Dec. 23, 2015. And by late January the rubber had a rip and battery life had decreased from 40-44 hrs to 20-24 hrs maximum. I went to my local MS store which employs a bunch of buffons, they shipped off my band for repair and now two weeks later the MS device support page shows my repair has been cancelled and warranty void. Contacted them and they've got no updates so I have to wait more time now for a reply.

The materials engineers in charge of the product really messed up on the Bands. The rubber compound is atrocious.
I've been a big MS ****** but man, they really make it difficult to stand by them. I got compliments on the band when I had it but when asked if I recommend the device I always hesitate and am upfront with the fallacies of the hardware. The software is top notch for the most part but the hardware is just awful.

Babs75

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
It's really too bad. I really like the way it looks but I never did buy one because of all the trouble people are having. Wonder if there will be a Band 3? I'm keeping my eye on the new Garmin Vivoactive HR that's coming out.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
The one thing that I assumed just by how they were constructed was the durability of either the original band or Band 2. Working around metal equipment with sharp edges I considered the increased probability that both would be subjected to damage. I get that the band 2 is fortified with gorilla glass 3, however that does nothing for the durability of the physical banding strap which never appeared to be as durable as some of its fitness counterparts. I would use my G shock which is designed to take punishment when at work and when working out I'd use my band. Of course this doesn't satisfy all of what everyone is wanting to do with the band, but it's a risk vs rewards debate. I will say that I have had both bands working and on an aircraft carrier you don't get more physically active then that. I've never had any issues with durability when I've used them. In my opinion, they've done exactly what they're advertised to do. One thing that has never been claimed, is they're the most durable.

DeNachtwacht

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Only one week after I liked this post because I recognized so many of the problems, my 3rd band showed its first tear in the band. The first two have been replaced with battery issues (with great customer support from the side of microsoft by the way), but now this happens with a band that doesn't have even one scratch on the clasp because I have always been so careful with it...

I am calling microsoft tomorrow, and I hope they will not be difficult in replacing the band, but I have to say I have totally had it after returning this device two times earlier. Microsoft made a great product on the hardware side, but the durability of the battery, the clasp and the band itself are just way too bad for such an expensive consumer product. Shame on you, Microsoft!

Eddie Mendoza

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I walked right into the store and got a no questions asked replacement band, they are aware and are replacing them no problem now - even people who had a problem replacing them a few weeks ago

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
Ordered a replacement Band today......I don't know why I do these things to myself. Despite its flaws though, it is a really nifty device, and ticks a lot of the boxes for me.

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
This all seems to be the 'luck of the draw'. I have to believe that this is, certainly, an issue that needs to be addressed but is not as prevalent as we might think, after all, who is going to come on here to post "My Band Doesn't Rip". I go over my strap every couple of days looking for defect and have found none, so far. So, am I just lucky or are others unlucky? In truth, we will, probably, never know how bad this issue is.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
So, am I just lucky or are others unlucky? In truth, we will, probably, never know how bad this issue is.

How do you take the Band on/off? I think there may be a "personal style" aspect to this. Having a crack right at that spot makes sense if the band is getting flexed to a greater degree. I'd imagine that those that flex the straps the most are the ones experiencing problems. (That's not to say there isn't a serious design problem, just that there's a personal component to it.)

Teeceman

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
Your luck will run out eventually, some owners don't come to a website site to post issues, I know my colleague didn't when his band started tearing he just called Microsoft support and opened a ticket to get it replaced .
The issue is real and prevalent Microsoft are well aware of it and it is discussed on their forums which has caused them to re-evaluate and change their return policy because of the number of complaints.

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Your luck will run out eventually, some owners don't come to a website site to post issues, I know my colleague didn't when his band started tearing he just called Microsoft support and opened a ticket to get it replaced .
The issue is real and prevalent Microsoft are well aware of it and it is discussed on their forums which has caused them to re-evaluate and change their return policy because of the number of complaints.

I never said it isn't real I just wonder how prevalent it is.

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
How do you take the Band on/off? I think there may be a "personal style" aspect to this. Having a crack right at that spot makes sense if the band is getting flexed to a greater degree. I'd imagine that those that flex the straps the most are the ones experiencing problems. (That's not to say there isn't a serious design problem, just that there's a personal component to it.)

I just pop the catch and slide it off. I agree that there is a flaw and, if the band gets overtaxed, it will, probably, break. So, what do we do about it? One thing would be to not overflex or overstress the band. Like I said, maybe I'm just lucky. Maybe my luck will run out.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I just pop the catch and slide it off.
You mean like a bracelet, over the hand? I'd think that would cause the least amount of stress. Those who tend to open the straps wide enough to fit their wrist though the opening (like handcuffs) might be the ones most likely to experience problems.

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
You mean like a bracelet, over the hand? I'd think that would cause the least amount of stress. Those who tend to open the straps wide enough to fit their wrist though the opening (like handcuffs) might be the ones most likely to experience problems.

I twist my wrist so the narrowest part goes between the two parts of the strap. Virtually no stress. Now, to be clear, that is just how I do it, naturally, not specifically for the band.

ScottyKnox

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
Good luck Nate, I have enjoyed a lot of your posts, hope to see more from you. Mine split like yours, I am lucky enough to have a MS Kiosk at my local mall and when they saw the split they said "let me get you a new one, what size is that?" I have the Care Package but they didn't even use it just replaced it on the spot. I hope you get it replaced for free and are not having to pay for another one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luiandovaf