Screen freaking out.

Bruce Milliken

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
I just got my 1520 and the screen will randomly start freaking out. It backs out of apps, goes to the multi tasking selection and it shakes like its being swiped rapidly back and forth. Is anyone else having this issue?

Bruce Milliken

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
The screen was clean, it is still doing it intermittently. I had dropped the phone and chipped the glass slightly, but it is nothing that is even on the visible part of the screen. I'm hoping that I didn't jack something up inside. A $200 deductible is not something I want to pay, especially if I don't really need to do it.

Susan Ryan2

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
Mine does the same thing. not to mention, it will drop calls and say "emergency call only" or "no service." i have to turn my phone on and off at least two times during a twenty minute conversation.

TenTwelve

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Mine does some of the same stuff. Mine randomly goes to search and it does the shaky thing. I keep my phone clean and it does have a damn near unnoticeable chip on the very edge right above the USB port. I'm going to try to get to a device service center tomorrow to see if they'll replace it.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Mine does the same thing. not to mention, it will drop calls and say "emergency call only" or "no service." i have to turn my phone on and off at least two times during a twenty minute conversation.

Sounds like the Nano SIM may not be inserted correctly. Have you tried re-seating it or having them replace your SIM in-store?

junglescope

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
The screen was clean, it is still doing it intermittently. I had dropped the phone and chipped the glass slightly, but it is nothing that is even on the visible part of the screen. I'm hoping that I didn't jack something up inside. A $200 deductible is not something I want to pay, especially if I don't really need to do it.

Looks like this is your problem. I totally shattered my Lumia screen and it killed the digitizer and I have all the same problems as you, but very frequently. It's in the repair shop right now, but I was surprised simply I've never seen a shattered screen that didn't work properly touch-wise. Kinda scary that a little chip can do this to your phone. I wonder why the 1520 has this... problem/feature/engineered this way.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Looks like this is your problem. I totally shattered my Lumia screen and it killed the digitizer and I have all the same problems as you, but very frequently. It's in the repair shop right now, but I was surprised simply I've never seen a shattered screen that didn't work properly touch-wise. Kinda scary that a little chip can do this to your phone. I wonder why the 1520 has this... problem/feature/engineered this way.

My guess would honestly be that it is related to the super sensitive tech in the display. It might be a little too sensitive at times.

Cleveland2k

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I would like to comment and say my 1520 has no cracks, or scars, or anything...anywhere, but still does all of the stuff people have mentioned above. it seems to be focused on the bottom half of the screen. I'll be playing a game, browsing the web, or just scrolling through my home screen and Bing randomly pops up, the phone freezes for like 15 seconds, the multitasking screen comes up, the phone freezes again, and the it will go back to the home screen or back to Bing and this goes on for like a minute or so. It happens very frequently and I have done hard and soft resets and even use the Lumia update tool from Nokia's website and I still have this issue.

liam-ward

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Mine, occasionally, like to do some weird inverted colour thing which everything looks like it has a blocky filter over it. Before you ask i'm not using Instagram :p

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Mine, occasionally, like to do some weird inverted colour thing which everything looks like it has a blocky filter over it. Before you ask i'm not using Instagram :p

Glance enabled? It drops the bit depth of the screen to save on power (hence why images look like GIF files). Sometimes for some folks it seems that it doesn't always switch back to the regular bit depth as quickly as it should.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I would like to comment and say my 1520 has no cracks, or scars, or anything...anywhere, but still does all of the stuff people have mentioned above. it seems to be focused on the bottom half of the screen. I'll be playing a game, browsing the web, or just scrolling through my home screen and Bing randomly pops up, the phone freezes for like 15 seconds, the multitasking screen comes up, the phone freezes again, and the it will go back to the home screen or back to Bing and this goes on for like a minute or so. It happens very frequently and I have done hard and soft resets and even use the Lumia update tool from Nokia's website and I still have this issue.

I would contact Nokia.

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
My 625 randomly gets a black screen - and you have to hit the power button a couple of times to turn the screen back on.

Odd.

Now it might be me but im almost certain that this all started after the most recent Nokia updates - info and all that. I never know what is updated but i do know this device has never been dropped or had any liquid splashed on it etc.

Odd.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
My 625 randomly gets a black screen - and you have to hit the power button a couple of times to turn the screen back on.

Odd.

Now it might be me but im almost certain that this all started after the most recent Nokia updates - info and all that. I never know what is updated but i do know this device has never been dropped or had any liquid splashed on it etc.

Odd.

You might have more luck posting this over in that devices forum section. :)

liam-ward

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Glance enabled? It drops the bit depth of the screen to save on power (hence why images look like GIF files). Sometimes for some folks it seems that it doesn't always switch back to the regular bit depth as quickly as it should.

Yes this could be it! thanks at least I now know it isn't a hardware problem.

Ramin Hossein Zad

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Mine does the same thing
all of a sudden it starts doing what ever it wants to do
i don't remember dropping it btw

and the top left corner somewhere near the secondary camera is acting like the capactive keys usually the back button but even the search and windows keys!!
i live in iran and no guaranty no nothing
i's stuck with this :(

mernmern

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
I searched for 1520 freaking out, because, well it freaks the heck out. I kept trying to take pictures today and it was almost impossible to get a shot before random things on the screen seemed to be selected. Apps would scroll by and the lock button had to be pressed to turn the screen off and then pressed again to sometimes return to a working phone. Multiple hard restarts today and the problem has not gone away. I have not dropped my phone and it is not damaged. The latest issue that prompted me to search was that everything on the screen was sized incorrectly. The live tile for the weather app took up almost the entire screen. You could open anything, but the size remained incorrect. I hope someone has a solution(s).

AkAdam

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm waiting for a T2 Torx screwdriver in the mail...then I'm going to try opening up the phone and try reseating a few of the internal cables to see if it makes any difference. I baby this phone like no other, have never dropped it and don't have a single scratch on the screen. There's been so many reported issues with the Lumia 1520's touch screen that I don't see why there hasn't been a recall issued by Nokia/Microsoft. To have a flagship phone with this many people having touchscreen problems is unacceptable. What sucks the worst is that I have the 1520.3 which I paid a lot of money for out of pocket and Nokia/Microsoft won't accept it for a warranty service repair here in the U.S. Sooooo frustrating! Ok, rant over...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077