Screen froze on my 1020

hagjohn

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
Hmm... my screen froze on my 1020. None of the "screen" buttons would work but the physical side buttons would. I rebooted a couple of times (depressing the power and volume down). It worked once but then froze up again. Taking out the sim and putting it back in seems to reboot the phone, which works, sometimes, but freezes up again as soon as the screen lock is activated.

It has been running a little warm, if I put it in my pants pocket while I'm talking.

Paul May

Lumia 950 & Surface Pro Champion
Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I have had a small issue with the lock screen. It may be what your experiencing. Sometimes on my 1020 I will flick up the lock screen and it will show my home screen with all my tiles, but for some reason the phone still thinks it is locked, i cannot tap any of the tiles. I have to hit the power button to turn it off and back on and then flick the lock screen again. It has only happened to me a couple of times but i am wondering if this isn't what you are experiencing?

jeetu4444

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I guess let the battery die....and let the phone cool down... I guess maybe some app is causing the processor over load. After phone dies charge again and see if it works fine....

hagjohn

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, the phone isn't even warm today. Battery is close to dying now, so I'm just going to let it shut down and leave it off for a while.

hagjohn

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
Question... I'm going to have to send in my phone to have it worked on. Can I buy a cheap GoPhone (Nokia 520 - which I believe is a micro sim as well) and use my contract sim card in it? I'm pretty sure I can but I wanted to check.

Paul May

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Question... I'm going to have to send in my phone to have it worked on. Can I buy a cheap GoPhone (Nokia 520 - which I believe is a micro sim as well) and use my contract sim card in it? I'm pretty sure I can but I wanted to check.

Yes you can. The 520 is a nice little device. I bought one for my daughter for xmas. Only downside is no front facing camera for Skype.

hagjohn

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
Went to the AT&T store. Warranty will cover it. They will send me a "new" device tomorrow or tuesday. I'm going to think about getting a 520, just as a backup. I don't have anything since I got rid of my landline.

Last edited:

Paul May

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Went to the AT&T store. Warranted will cover it. They will send me a "new" device tomorrow or tuesday. I'm going to think about getting a 520, just as a backup. I don't have anything since I got rid of my landline.

I don't know anyone who has a land line anymore. The 520 is a perfect backup device since you never know when an accident might happen.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I have had a small issue with the lock screen. It may be what your experiencing. Sometimes on my 1020 I will flick up the lock screen and it will show my home screen with all my tiles, but for some reason the phone still thinks it is locked, i cannot tap any of the tiles. I have to hit the power button to turn it off and back on and then flick the lock screen again. It has only happened to me a couple of times but i am wondering if this isn't what you are experiencing?

Yup. I encountered the same thing too, especially if I turned the phone on again at the right moment when it is about to lock. Somehow, the system thinks that the lock screen is there, but invisible to us.

And I also encountered another weird behavior occasionally - the answer call button can't be tab on whenever the phone wake up for an incoming call. I think it is due to the invisibility of the lock screen again.

Seems like there are bugs lurking in WP8 GDR2 after all. This lock screen buggy problem exists since the old WP7.

ssjmec

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site

Same here. Plus after you swipe up the lockscreen (just like when you are unlocking) you can swipe down to bring back the lockscreen again. Surely a bug.

There is also one thing that happens occasionally, screen only turns on half of the screen, and only shows as if 4 bit color. Locking and unlocking fixes this.. I doubt that it is hardware wise though because it also happened on my previous 920. Both issues

jgraves1107

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
My 928 does this. So does my wife's. The HTC 8x did it too. Look at all the windows 8 phones. The 822 my dad had did it. This is a bug. I am sure of it. Like your PC when it locks up, reboot. Problem is we don't get the option of reloading the software on the phone. Starting to think they need to give us this option so we don't have to return it when it bricks.

hagjohn

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
My "new" 1020 phone gets delivered today and I ordered a 520 for a backup from the MS store for $59.00. Can't wait to get both.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb