Screen Frozen - Lightning Bolt and Settings Icon?

longsh0t

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I was getting ready to make a call, pulled it my phone and noticed that on the screen there was an image I haven't seen before. It looked like a lightning bolt with a gear/settings icon next to it. The screen was frozen and I couldn't close out or switch out for it. The only thing I could do was hold down the power button to restart it.

I didn't think too much of it because I figured I could just google it and figure out what it was but I can't seem to find anything. I realize it could be app related but figured I'd post to see if it could possibly be an OS issue.

Thanks Iin advance.

ImAdrian23

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hmm... I had the Lighting Boly picture before too. I think it appeared because I tried to hard reset my phone via the volume + lock buttons. However my battery was also dead or at least close being dead AND... I had my bluetooth bug (if I'd turn my BT on, my phone would restart forever and ever until the battery would die, and I couldn't turn BT off). I'm curious about that too!

switchback1

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I just had this same issue this morning when I got to work. In my case, I had it in a holster and was driving to work with seat belt on. I am wondering if there was a button pressing problem from the holster. My battery was at 57% so I doubt that had anything to do with it. Another issue is last night it came up saying something was wrong with my micro sd card and to put it in a computer to fix it. I am not sure if the two are related, but if I get the lightning bolt again I am gonna remove the sd card.

Darricheal

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Today i got on the bus after unplugging my htc Windows 8x and it was 99% charged i had to serve an iss day so I turned it off gave it to the office till the end of school at 2:50 when i got my phone back i turned it back on put it in my pocket about ten minutes later when i pulled my phone out again it the symbol too I've only had my phone since Christmas, if that matters

wpwaukesha

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
Happened to me too. Full charge and was updating some apps. Weather flow live tile was not showing proper location, I went into the app but nothing so I rebooted. The apps have finished downloading and updating prior to me rebooting.

Daisy Anderson

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
This happened to me too, just know actually. I have 60% battery, my phone was just sitting on my desk, reached it to check if i got a text because it vibrated, only the screen was black and all that it showed was a lightning bolt and a gear in white. I held down the power button for like 30 sec, before it would restart. Does anyone know what it means though and why it would do it?

JimByrne

May 1, 2013
Visit site
Same problem. The only way to clear it is Volume Down and Power for 15 sec. That appears to shut the HTC down completely. But Wait ... there's more!!! Then holding down the power button ... does nothing. Again, to get it started again you have to hold down the Volume Down and the Power buttons for 15 sec. Then the HTC power up screen comes up ...FOLLOWED BY THE LIGHTNING BOLT AND SETTINGS ICONS .... AGAIN. There appears to be no way to get it to actually turn on.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
The Bolt and Gear screen is a flash mode, it's one of those back door things for repair people to re-flash a phone that will not fully boot. I hit it before and looked it up. If you found you way into by mistake, just rebooting the phone normally gets it out of this mode (vol down and power I believe).

If you rebooted your phone and you still have it....bad news, needs to get a rom flashed to it, normally a carrier or repair center item but, can show a possible bigger problem.

wjb950

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi
I had the same problem - then I noticed the power switch was stuck in the case just very slightly - once aligned it began to charge properly

Freak23

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
I had the exact same thing.
I was listening to music in the shower and I think it might have over heated with the steam.

All I did was press the power button at the top and it was back to normal.

Hope this helped you

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb