Screen Frozen - Lightning Bolt and Settings Icon?

Hector1van

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Same problem. The only way to clear it is Volume Down and Power for 15 sec. That appears to shut the HTC down completely. But Wait ... there's more!!! Then holding down the power button ... does nothing. Again, to get it started again you have to hold down the Volume Down and the Power buttons for 15 sec. Then the HTC power up screen comes up ...FOLLOWED BY THE LIGHTNING BOLT AND SETTINGS ICONS .... AGAIN. There appears to be no way to get it to actually turn on.

This is my situation. Repair center is the solution?

Jan Lindop

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Same problem with flash sign and cog....it appears to be a that the on button is stuck particularly if you have it in a case so take phone out of the case then take battery out and replace, switch on as normal.. hey presto!

Shadehz

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
happend me too.

The solution is to press volume down and power button together

Thank you so much for posting this It really helped me a lot I appreciate people like you! :grin::grin::angel::angel::amaze::amaze::excited::excited::sweaty::grincry::smile::shocked::shocked::wink::wink:

JamminJaguar

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Hey, I've got the same problem with my HTC 8X and the gears screen. Mine happened after an OS update which said it would take no longer than five minutes.... Here I am almost 24 hours later. It won't charge either because of this issue so when I put it in the charger it runs directly off that, if I unplug the charger the battery dies out.

I've tried countless times all this different rebooting stuff with the power, volume, camera buttons (hard reboot, soft reboot etc) and nothing is working whatsoever.

Any suggestions?

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Above mentioned solution is correct. For the record, here's the MS support page ref for the problem/icon...

Your Windows Phone 8 doesn't work or respond as expected
------------------------
Article ID: 2749480

Reboot your unresponsive phone

If your phone is unresponsive, it might display a big exclamation mark, a combination of a gear and lightning bolt, your phone manufacturer's logo, or a pair of gears:
2899952.png

If your screen displays any of these images, try this: Press and hold both the volume down button and the power key for 10 seconds. This should get your phone to reboot and respond properly again.
--------------------------

yasmine984

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
same thing happened to me but so my phone does this thing where the volume will suddenly increase on its own and then when i try to decrease the volume it will jam and i cant turn the volume down. so i decided to turn it off and on it again but now it's stuck at the lightning bolt sign beside the gear sign. i have tried holding the lock screen button and volume button together, but it doesn't work. if i just off it, it will switch back on and go back to the lightning and gear sign. i decided to let the battery die but now that i'm charging it, it's still at the lightning and gear sign. anyone has this problem? any advice?

PestilentAura

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
The volume and power button solution did not work for me, but holding the power button down for what seemed like forever, did work. THANK GOD!

This is the only thing that worked for me too, thankfully. Volume down+power for 15 seconds just shut off my screen. Glad it's fixed, but hope this doesn't become a constant issue.

Miguel Espinoza

May 1, 2014
Visit site
mine was similar. i was updating 53 apps and it froze. so i pushed the power and volume down button and it rebooted but it stayed on the t-mobile logo for like 10 minutes. i rebooted it a couple of times and it did not weant to turn on anymore. i have it getting a bit of charge, I dont know if it will power on again. can anyone help?? before it powered completely off, it showed the exclamation icon for half a second.

Ismail Sheth

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
Above mentioned solution is correct. For the record, here's the MS support page ref for the problem/icon...

------------------------
Article ID: 2749480

Reboot your unresponsive phone

If your phone is unresponsive, it might display a big exclamation mark, a combination of a gear and lightning bolt, your phone manufacturer's logo, or a pair of gears:
http://support.microsoft.com/Library/Images/2899952.png

If your screen displays any of these images, try this: Press and hold both the volume down button and the power key for 10 seconds. This should get your phone to reboot and respond properly again.
--------------------------

Jillian DeKlerk

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
You press the down volume button and then the power button. Once it vibrates and the first screen pops up press these buttons in this order. Up, down, power, down.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cara.di