Screen Scrolling is not Smooth...jittery and flickering/jumping

David Van Ryn

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
Still happening on my Lumia 830 and it's buggin the **** out of me.
I tried everything, and the screen is just not smooth on the start screen and in some app's.
Love this phone but that jitter/lag, refresh rate whatever it is, is making this phone look bad :(

And there is no other Wp 8.1 phone on offer over here, so i'm actually for the first time in years tempted to go for the one+one android flagship killer. Untill Microsoft has his **** together again... m(

luMia630

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
Hi I have lumia 630 dual sim and i experience jumpy stuttering when scrolling on apps but on start screen as well, in fact it stutter everywhere every time i swipe with finger continuously on screen, but when i just flick the screen and lift my finger scrolling is blury (because lack of puremotion 60hz refresh screen technology) but smooth in its motion. Is it same on your phone? I am searching if that is some screen issue or is it just how these cheap lumia works and its just my OCD

luMia630

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys i just signed up to post the solution...i had the same jittery laggy scroll (lumia 920 Cyan), on my apps list, on my desktop, generally whenever i scrolled with my finger there was jitter, if i scrolled fast and took my finger off the screen the rest of the scrolling was perfectly smooth. So i went to settings>ease of access>Screen magnifier=off (restart phone if asked), another option that can help with smoothness is Settings>touch>Touch senisitivity=normal (restart phone if asked).
And as i see there are other parameters that prevent smoothness.

I have the same issue as you describe it on my lumia 630, fix would be awesome if i only heavent magnifier already off and touch sensitivity was actualy present on my device which is not :( do you know about any other settings that could cause this? its extremly annoyng sinc i switch from android mostly because i was fedup wit lag on lowend devices :(

luMia630

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
I've found interesting thing, not sure if it proves anything but at least it could be a potential reason for this scroll jitter. I've looked at how WP work with touch and find out that they actually differentiate scrolling by dragging finger across the screen which they call simply DRAG, and just flicking the screen to scroll which they specify as FLICK. That's a fact so there is actual difference between dragging and flicking which some of us see. Now remember that this micro stutter looks like a content of the screen that is being scrolled sort of jumps number of times. Well Microsoft specify that when people start moving finger across the screen manipulation event called ManipulationStart occurs and than during drag ManipulationDelta event occurs number of times until movement stops, to notify system where exactly users finger is. Did you see this certain similarity there? System deals with touch by firing delta event multiple times like screen jumps multiple times, but when we just flick the screen and lift our finger from screen no delta event occurs as same as there is no jumping of content that has been scrolled. I know it could be nothing and I really don't understand how WP work and how rich works but it sounds pretty concurrent to me. Also if that's how it is, it would mean that this phenomenon is actually how system itself works and thus all windows phone devices as well. And that would mean that some of us are seeing things or others doesn't see this thing that is clearly there :D. Otherwise power of placebo effect ;). What do you thing could this be proof that this scrolling jitter affects all Lumia phones and possible source of this "issue"?