Serious audio problem with the Surface Book

anon(9603734)

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
What does disabling fast start up actually do? I am assuming by the name it disables a fast start up, meaning it takes longer to start the computer from a cold boot...but how much longer? How slow is it compared to fast start up? And are there any other disadvantages besides time (waiting for device to boot)? I would like to know because it is really starting to seem like this issue is happening every other time i start the device now! And unfortunately, im just dealing with it.

I received a response from Microsoft following my phone call with them. I would like to share it with you. And please everyone, make some noise, as i have said before...post it in feedback, tweet to Dona, call Microsoft, visit your local MS store, tweet/email/msg paul thurott/dan rubino/zac bowden/ mary jo foley, anyone!

please post a feedback in the feedback hub, and upvote mine please! I still have only one upvote on this issue! How could this be!?!?

I found this article on Windows Central about Fast StartUp: How to make your Windows 10 computer boot quicker with 'Fast Startup' | Windows Central

I entered a detailed feedback on the issue in the Windows Feedback app yesterday (Windows-Feedback:?contextid=68&feedbackid=1980fd4f-adfe-49c8-8782-1de04d0b8acc&form=1&src=2), and have upvoted a number of others :smile:.

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
I found this article on Windows Central about Fast StartUp: How to make your Windows 10 computer boot quicker with 'Fast Startup' | Windows Central

I entered a detailed feedback on the issue in the Windows Feedback app yesterday (Windows-Feedback:?contextid=68&feedbackid=1980fd4f-adfe-49c8-8782-1de04d0b8acc&form=1&src=2), and have upvoted a number of others :smile:.

That option to disable or enable or anything having to do with fast startup is oddly missing on all my devices on windows 10 build 14393

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Unfortunately, the attachment link does not work. I'd love to hear what MS told you, though. For me, disabling fast startup doesn't add more than a second or 2 to my cold boot time, but I must confess, I rarely allow my SB to fully shut down these days.

Sorry for the broken link, have no idea why that happened...lets try this again.
Windows10AudioIssue.PNG

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
This is happening to me now just about every time i boot up the Surface Book from a cold start. This is unacceptable. I have no problem dealing with the bugs as long as i know MS is aware and is working on a fix. I can wait. However I feel like they don't really even know or aware of this issue on their own hardware. Time for desperate measures.

CraigCole

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
This is happening to me now just about every time i boot up the Surface Book from a cold start. This is unacceptable. I have no problem dealing with the bugs as long as i know MS is aware and is working on a fix. I can wait. However I feel like they don't really even know or aware of this issue on their own hardware. Time for desperate measures.

I own a SP4 and plenty of us are having the EXACT SAME ISSUE with the Anniversary "Update." Disabling fast boot corrects the problem but it's ABSOLUTE EFFING BS that Microsoft didn't catch this issue ... such a ridiculous failure ON THEIR OWN (OSTENSIBLY PREMIUM) HARDWARE!!! It really boggles the mind.

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
I own a SP4 and plenty of us are having the EXACT SAME ISSUE with the Anniversary "Update." Disabling fast boot corrects the problem but it's ABSOLUTE EFFING BS that Microsoft didn't catch this issue ... such a ridiculous failure ON THEIR OWN (OSTENSIBLY PREMIUM) HARDWARE!!! It really boggles the mind.

Good to hear that it's happening on the Pro 4 as well...as i am getting mine in the mail (from Ebay) tomorrow morning. I hope i do not have this issue on the Pro 4 AS WELL as my surface book . i will be really pissed if that happens.

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
*****UPDATE******

I went to my local Microsoft Store on Saturday to buy the signature type cover for the Pro 4. I figured since i was there i would bring my Surface Book to at least make them aware of the issue. I had very little hope that anything would get fixed as it is an issue with the OS system code, which no one in the MS store is qualified or has the ability to do anything about.

So i walked in and i was looking at the type cover when one of the girls greeted me. I told her about the issue and she said i am going to have you talk to Jeremy and he can fix it for you, he is the best guy we got! I told her i doubt it and she responded with "I am 99.9% sure he can fix this issue for you". I said i dont think so but ok. So i told Jeremy, who was great by the way, about the issue in full. He told me to type all of this out in an email to him and he would kick it up to the right people at Microsoft. He didn't even look at my device (because like we both knew, it was a bug with the Anniversary Update something only a programmer at Redmond can fix.) So i feel good about that, that is one more step to getting something done about this issue. I just sent him the email yesterday evening. Well see.

Also he mentioned that since this is only affecting a small subset of users it might be a specific hardware configuration. So i wanted to ask EVERYONE here if you can please list your hardware config for your surface book and location. Maybe we can narrow it down to the type and region.

I am in the United States, Connecticut. I have an i7/dGPU/512/16GB config, interestingly this also happened on my i7/dGPU/256/8GB model. The thing they both have in common is at least the i7 and integrated graphics.

Thanks everyone, i will post more when i know more.

Last edited:

Arif Butt

Aug 11, 2016
Visit site
Also he mentioned that since this is only affecting a small subset of users it might be a specific hardware configuration. So i wanted to ask EVERYONE here if you can please list your hardware config for your surface book and location. Maybe we can narrow it down to the type and region.

I am in the United States, Connecticut. I have an i7/dGPU/512/16GB config, interestingly this also happened on my i7/dGPU/256/8GB model. The thing they both have in common is at least the i7 and integrated graphics.

Thanks everyone, i will post more when i know more.

I'm in Germany... i7/dGPU/512/16GB.

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Not having Audio, or good audio, will keep me from buying the Surface book...

This is clearly a software issue so i dont want to deter you from getting the SB because of this. This will almost certainly be fixed. And if it bothers you that much you can always go both directions with Windows 10 and fix it..i.e. Version 1511 (10586) does not have this issue and from what i hear Redstone 2 (109xx) does also NOT have this issue. :)

Arif Butt

Aug 11, 2016
Visit site
This is clearly a software issue so i dont want to deter you from getting the SB because of this. This will almost certainly be fixed. And if it bothers you that much you can always go both directions with Windows 10 and fix it..i.e. Version 1511 (10586) does not have this issue and from what i hear Redstone 2 (109xx) does also NOT have this issue. :)

I would have to disagree, I would not have chosen an SB if I would have known the number of annoying little issues I would have. The audio problem is just one issue (and WHY can't MS just say it's an issue and WHEN they will fix it), another is the sleep issue, I still can't trust the sleep functionality to work as it should do. Usually the SB has rebooted itself by the time I come wake it from sleep - why? Or it's woken itself up and is repeatedly trying the Hello functionality with nobody there. And don't even start about the Surface Dock and the lack of ability to support well monitors of different resolutions. It's REALLY annoying the MS never admit the issue exists and their solution eventually comes down to reinstall your whole OS from scratch. I'm a freelance software developer and I must have spent at least 50 hours trying to fix issues. That means I've lost at least the considerable amount I paid for the SB in potential earnings. That's BS and disappointing as I really wanted to believe in it's potential.

Don't get me wrong, there are many good things about it but I could not recommend it to anyone who needs a reliable machine.

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
*****UPDATE*****

I have installed the latest cumulative update i.e. 14393.222 and i have been using it for several days now and restarted it several times. I am happy to report i no longer have the issue based on the times i did start up the surface book. Now it is possible it is still there but i was having the problem so much (nearly every other restart) that i think it has been fixed. I guess this was such a small issue because its not in the change log nor is it even under an umbrella like "fixed issues with audio in some surface book and surface pro 4 configurations" or something to that effect.

Anyone else notice the fix? Let me know, thanks!

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Looks good for me too.

It's been almost two weeks since the update and my Surface Book has been running perfectly (in regards to the audio issue). Boots fine everytime now. Still have noticeable bugs like keyboard not being recognized when screen is attached to base but at least this is fixed!

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
It's been almost two weeks since the update and my Surface Book has been running perfectly (in regards to the audio issue). Boots fine everytime now. Still have noticeable bugs like keyboard not being recognized when screen is attached to base but at least this is fixed!

Have you provided MS feedback on the keyboard not recognized issue? I've raised it in numerous places on MS's forums and short of "reinstall your drivers", I've been largely ignored. Frustrating.

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Have you provided MS feedback on the keyboard not recognized issue? I've raised it in numerous places on MS's forums and short of "reinstall your drivers", I've been largely ignored. Frustrating.

Wow this is so weird. I just started having this problem pretty regularly now, dont know if this is a new bug or what because i dont remember having it that much when i got the PC with Anv update or what, i never ran 10586 on it, but early builds of the AU didnt have it and now it does it.

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Wow this is so weird. I just started having this problem pretty regularly now, dont know if this is a new bug or what because i dont remember having it that much when i got the PC with Anv update or what, i never ran 10586 on it, but early builds of the AU didnt have it and now it does it.

It's been a somewhat recent development for me, as well. As of right around the time of the firmware update that preceded the Anniversary update/the anniversary update is when I started noticing it periodically. What's truly bizarre is that it sometimes is fine. Other times, I get some seriously weird input from the keyboard (like caps when the caps lock is off and vice versa) and once, it was followed by a usb-device-malfunctioned error. It's been so wonky that I can't even begin to figure out what's going on, since fixing it is a crapshoot -- detach the screen & re-attach sometimes works, rebooting sometimes works and sometimes I just have to wait for the system to recognize the keyboard. Often, it will detect it for a few seconds and then poof. The keyboard is gone (but my Surface still shows its docked to the keyboard, even weirder, and the battery in the base is recognized as well).

I started a thread about it on MS's forums and was flat out ignored after I even posted the error analysis from the one USB device malfunctioned crash. Then someone else from MS came in and gave me instructions for deleting and reinstalling the Surface Pro keyboard drivers ... and then ... ignored again.

samattie

Dec 13, 2016
Visit site
I had complete success by disabling Fast Startup. The techs at MS love telling you to reset the Surface Book - DON'T DO IT - it is a waste of time. There is most definitely a software (or firmware) issue with the Surface Dock. So far, it's been about a week without my audio either breaking up (can't quite describe the audio "static" - actually distorted sound) or totally shutting off. I tried (2) different docks and got the same poor results until I disabled Fast Startup. It has to be with the dock as I can select the speakers on my Surface Book and the audio is restored, albeit not of the same quality of my powered speaker system.

samattie

Dec 13, 2016
Visit site
OK - after bragging that it was "fixed " after one week, the sound now is messed up on the Surface Dock. An upgrade just occurred this morning - hmmmm.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb