Shattered 1520 screen. Replacement help?

Killer BIGxyz

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
JUST FYI, Microsoft Stores are AWESOME and very helpful. If you have ANY Lumia phns broken or malfunctioning, I'll try them 1st, BEFORE going to ATT or anyone else. I bought a used 1520 phn online(NOT from Microsoft store), and for some reason the NFC was not working on it, so MS store tested it and once was confirmed, they gave me a brand new phn in its replacement. All I had to buy was their $99 2 years warranty that covers ANYTHING/EVRYTHING except for theft. I just broke my 1520 screen and they will replace my phn for a brand new one again for only $50 right away, without waiting or sending it off. (i'm thinking to get the newer GREEN version :grin:) (or just hold on to my broken screen phn till 1525/1530 comes out and ask them to replace it with NEW phn :))
Also, the best thing to do if you don't have a MS store in your mall/town, is to go on Ebay and buy a screen/digitizer assembly for $130 or so. its much easier and less headache to do that, than trying to separate the LCD and digitizer. I can assure you, 90% of the time you will break the LCD when you are trying to separate. its a very difficult job, without a very expensive and special tool. these 2 things are stuck together pretty good on 1520's. for me installation was very easy(however, i'm very good on repairing phns/electronics)
recap:
1st, try an "GO" to Microsoft Store near you(No phone calls, just go to their store)to see what they can do for you guys(AWESOME customer service)
2nd, buy the entire screen assembly form Ebay or similar places. Do NOT pay more than $150(less is way better of course :)). just search BING(google SUCKS) and find the cheapest.
3rd: go to ATT and see what they can do for you(more likely NOTHING :-( or they are going to rip you off, with some crazy $$$$$$

goodluck, ask me if you have any questions. I've done many screens for many brands.

I think I'll head over there, so they replaced your 1520 for just $50?

Killer BIGxyz

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I just picked up my replacement from the Microsoft store, great customer service. A cute employee helped me get a yellow 1520 replaced for $150 +tax, $50 if I happen to break this phone from now on for a brand new one everytime. I'm not going to lie, it was weird seeing the employees using windows phone and how enthusiastic they were about the their phones, they were amazed by my green 1520 and my service rep had a nice Icon, I was also shown the Microsoft Band and they said they just got a bunch in stock. might have to go back and get myself an early Christmas gift. :D

arch2angel5

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
I tried two Microsoft Store, but both said they do not replace anything which does not have an insurance. What you guys actually asked for so that it got replaced?

Killer BIGxyz

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I tried two Microsoft Store, but both said they do not replace anything which does not have an insurance. What you guys actually asked for so that it got replaced?

I asked the employee "I just got this 1520 two weeks ago *showed her my shattered screen* and they said they have a windows phone insurance for $100 that covers it but you have to pay $50 for a new phone, I instantly said yes" and they handed me a new 1520 in exchange for my shattered one

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
That's amazing. I have one with a mic problem, and a small crack in the screen. If I can get the warranty for $99, and a new one for $49 after, that's a no-brainer.

I wonder if you can buy the MS Complete warranty online?

Thanks again for this info - will try to get to the store this week,

Katie Thompson2

May 10, 2015
Visit site
I was in the same boat. No insurance and a shattered screen. I sent it to Palco and they did a great job. However, when I received my phone from Palco, I had the famous two bright white spots on the screen. These were definitely not there before the repair. I sent it back to Palco since they have a 90 day warranty on their repairs. Phone was repaired and covered under their warranty, shipped back fast and is as good or better than new. Recommend Palco for a great job and fast turnaround.

How much did palco cost? $200?

Steve Russell3

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
I put some clear Gorilla Tape over the one I purchased very cheap already broken . Digitizer works very well and now can find complete screen for around $70.00. Going to see if the price comes down in price . Have got $40.00 tied up in the phone now and trying to keep it to around $100.00 total . maybe a few months they will continue to drop in price. Purchased with idea I was going to replace digitizer , seems like it is more difficult than I thought. It is not my primary smart phone , have an LG G3 which is a great phone. Have always been an Android fan but may could be converted to a good windows phone if I get this thing up and running. I thinks Nokia could have really done well in the Android market sense they make such a great product. Now that Microsoft owns them , don't see it happening. Ideal phone would be a dual boot Android/Windows , dream on ! Love Nokia phones. I will eventually do something with this phone , too nice to throw in a drawer and forget about. Posting this on 10-18-2015 . Prices have dropped sense this thread was started . You can purchase a used 1520 for around $200.00 now. Perfect thing for me is find one with other problems and switch out the screen . Thanks for all the info folks !

philharmonik

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I recently received my repaired phone from Palco... they did a very good job with the screen/digitzer replacement, and also apparently had to replace the back case for some reason. Mine had some scratches on the rear glass over the camera and the back cover was slightly scuffed. Both are now brand new and free of scratches. One thing, however, is that the volume rocker buttons are much closer to the case now, so that they are basically flush and cannot be easily distinguished without looking. A soft case is the only way I am able to feel the difference.

Anyway, I spent a total of $250 for the rapir including insured shipping, so I wanted to get a screen protector offering the best protection for my repaired phone, and decided to install the Inskin tempered glass protector and I'm very, very impressed by this one!

I used the hinge method to lay the protector over the phone, then taped it in place, removed the inner film and carefully placed it down. The fit and alignment is very good, there are no air bubbles at all, and the best part is that this thing has a much, much better oleophobic coating than the phone itself... there simply are no fingerprints whatsoever! Before, I used to feel like I was constantly wiping my phone down.

Another benefit for me is that it is fully compatible with my ProClip dash mount card holder. The protector does not interfere with the tight grasp edges of the ProClip holder like my zagg shields used to. The zagg shields were more expensive too aoround $30 US, but the Inskin is a much better product. I highly recommend this protector!

Ouch!
View attachment 81764

Looking better... with the new digitizer from Palco and the tempered glass screen protector in place
View attachment 81765

Close-ups (notice the excellent fit around the speaker)
View attachment 81766
View attachment 81767
View attachment 81768
View attachment 81769

And all comfortable and secure with a new soft case by Amzer
View attachment 81770

Thanks for watching and be careful out there with this slippery bugger!

This looks really good. After nearly 2 years of ownership (1520) my screen shattered when I accidentally dropped it on my hardwood floor. Only about 2-3 foot fall. It landed flat, face first. I've dropped it a lot too! Landed just right I guess.

I'm eligible for upgrade since I paid the phone off a while back (I'm on the Next program). My only concern is, will they let me upgrade to a 950XL when it is released? Does my 1520 have to be without damage?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon