Shortcut/command line to open Microsoft Edge Browser w/o reopening Tabs?

NutmegState

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
My mom was surfing the web regarding the Golden Globes and fell victim to some website that spawned an annoying webpage that was playing some message about "Your machine has been infected and call this number blah! blah!" She did not click any button and I navigated her over the phone to kill the task in Task Manager.

The problem is that when she launches the browser Edge goes back to that page.

Simple solution, I had disconnect her disable wireless and then restart the browser. Then had her kill her tabs one by one followed by clearing cookies, history etc. Then we ran a malware scan and virus scan (good thing she is retired because that took forever). Nothing was found and the page is gone. We enabled Wi-Fi and everything was running again and she can once again catch up on her gossip.

This leads me to my question. Is there a command line parameter you can pass to Edge to have is start without tabs reopening? I have found various websites that show how to modifying the registry -- something that I wish to avoid.

Any other options available so should this happen again I can quickly dispatch of the issue?

NutmegState

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi I'm not sure if this is what you're asking. Give this a look and see if this is what you need! How to Open Tabs from Your Last Session Whenever You Start Your Browser

Thanks for responding. I am looking to prevent Tabs from opening when you hit a site with malware.

I found this page on TechNet
https://social.technet.microsoft.co...-browser-in-safe-mode?forum=win10itprogeneral

The consensus is the following:

1) Recent Edge updates do not address the issue despite what MS says
2) Three fixes that seem to work:

a) Go to C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default\Recovery\Active and delete all files and folders in there makes it open without any previous tabs. This cache seems to be rebuilt each time the browser starts

b) From the command line "start microsoft-edge:http://www.microsoft.com"

c) As I explained above. Shut off your networking and restart the browser then either kill the known tab or kill each and every tab and shutdown the browser. Turn networking back on and restart Edge.

Hope this helps someone else. Looks like MS needs a new update because the malware writers have found a better exploit.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion