Should I buy a Surface Pro 3 now, or is it better to wait for 2015 and Windows 10?

Cosmin Petrenciuc

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Hello everybody,

I'm thinking of buying a Surface Pro 3, i5, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB storage. What would you recommend: buy this device this month (October, 2014) or wait and see what the Surface team has planned for 2015 and Windows 10?

Thank you.

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Re: Should I buy now a Surface Pro 3 or is it better to wait for 2015 and Windows 10

It is pretty clear from Microsoft the Windows 10 is a year out, not this Spring as originally projected. Are you willing to wait that long?

Adam_ation

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Re: Should I buy now a Surface Pro 3 or is it better to wait for 2015 and Windows 10

Buy right now, you wont regret it! - Adam

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site

I'd get it now, it's not the OS you'd be waiting for, but the CPU, pen hardware, and everything else on the inside that you would be. Why? Because Windows 10 will be coming to the Surface 3, no matter what.

So the question becomes, can you live with the current hardware, or do you want to wait? Because personally, the current hardware is top line, so you'd have to wait a long while, years even, before something really beats it. ;)

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site

I wouldn't say years away for better hardware. Intel's Broadwells are coming very soon. But I don't think we will see another Surface Pro until Windows 10 is released that's my opinion. So you might as well buy one now.

strollin

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site

There will always be something better coming out in the "near future", it's a fact. Buy and make use of now.

jesusfreak420

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site

I agree with the others, you might as well get one now otherwise you'll always be waiting for the next best thing. I have the i7 version which I love - they are amazing hybrid machines. When Windows 10 comes out (and subsequent versions), it will be easy enough to upgrade. By the sound of some rumours, future upgrades may even be free (fingers crossed). 😊

Cosmin Petrenciuc

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site

Are you sure it will take that long for Microsoft to release the next version of OS? :amaze: I must say I didn't documented on this topic but I was under the impression that it will be released during the spring of 2015.

Cosmin Petrenciuc

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site

So the question becomes, can you live with the current hardware, or do you want to wait? Because personally, the current hardware is top line, so you'd have to wait a long while, years even, before something really beats it. ;)

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the subject. I've read about the new low-power Intel processors, the Broadwell series. I'm not an expert so I can't say for sure if they are fit for the next version of Surface Pro. From what you know do you think Surface Pro is better in the current configuration with Haswell or you think that integrating Broadwell into next Surface Pro will increase the performance?

Thank you.

Cosmin Petrenciuc

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site

There will always be something better coming out in the "near future", it's a fact. Buy and make use of now.

Yes you are wright. There will always be something better. What I wouldn't like would be to spend now 1.500 euros on a Surface Pro 3 and after two months or less Microsoft to announce Surface Pro 4. I would really hate that.

norir82

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I'd say wait if you can just because the Surface Pro 4 will bring together the current hardware of the SP3 with the much needed internals of Intel's next gen chips. Not that anything can be future proof but I think the SP4 will have a much longer shelf life as it should hit basically all the need revisions that the Surface team has been building up to since the original launched. This is speaking as a SP3 owner who uses it as my work, home, and tablet computer. Still, it'll be a wait and if you are in need of a computer now then the SP3 is a wonderful device!

Adam_ation

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Just buy an SP3, take good care of it then when the SP4 comes around sell up and buy an SP4. That is exactly what i will be doing! I do the same with my phones, sure you'll take a few hundred hit but its worth it to keep upto date with the very latest tech - Adam

Ltauhmise

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Just picked up the i5 128GB model and I can definitely say it is worth BUYING NOW. I still use my surface 2 from time-to-time, but the surface pro 3 is just... well, a very well-engineered piece of hardware. You won't be disappointed. :)

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Are you sure it will take that long for Microsoft to release the next version of OS? :amaze: I must say I didn't documented on this topic but I was under the impression that it will be released during the spring of 2015.

Spring of 2015 is for a more finalized Beta/Consumer Preview.

Ignore the OS question, the question is whether you can live with the hardware now since I doubt we'll see a new Pro for a while

Cosmin Petrenciuc

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site

Spring of 2015 is for a more finalized Beta/Consumer Preview.

Ignore the OS question, the question is whether you can live with the hardware now since I doubt we'll see a new Pro for a while

Do you think that Microsoft won't release a new version of Surface Pro with Broadwell processor in it during the first half of 2015? Now that Lenovo has produced a convertible with this processor, Yoga Pro 3, maybe Microsoft will be forced to upgrade Surface in order to stay up to date. Don't you think so?
Thank you.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

I wouldn't say years away for better hardware. Intel's Broadwells are coming very soon. But I don't think we will see another Surface Pro until Windows 10 is released that's my opinion. So you might as well buy one now.

Intel's Broadwell claims are so far just that - marketing claims under optimal conditions. The never, however, live up to expectations so don't assume performance anywhere near the spin. Anyone who doubts this should just take a look at what they have said about each generation of the core i line and compare to reality. If there is a SP4 at all, it also probably will not be until next summer anyway....

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

Do you think that Microsoft won't release a new version of Surface Pro with Broadwell processor in it during the first half of 2015? Now that Lenovo has produced a convertible with this processor, Yoga Pro 3, maybe Microsoft will be forced to upgrade Surface in order to stay up to date. Don't you think so?
Thank you.

Sorry but wishful thinking. Microsoft has not rushed a single SP product to date and the chips a SP4 would likely run will not even hit the market until next year. The best bet for a release date of a SP4 (if it exists which is a bit speculative given management changes) will not be until SP3 is a year old.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I have the SP3 - i5/ 128GB. I bought it on release day (June 20th) and it has been nothing but spectacular. If I was on the Op's shoes, I would buy it - as many above have recommended. I would do for at least three reasons - (1) it is an amazing device - light, thin, barely gets warm and extremely powerful (at least for my purposes); (2) it give me both a laptop and a tablet; (3) it will hold up well for at least 2 years if handled carefully and if MS pushes out updates to refine the user experience especially in terms of battery life etc. as I expect them to.

Would the SP4 be better? Most likely, yes given the chip that Intel is supposed to release and further refinements that MS will most likely effect on the device. Then there is the fact of Win 10 to factor in. Apparently, the SP3 will be upgradeable to Win 10 will no ill-effect. If this is so, I would prefer to get familiar with Win 10 on the SP3 than on a brand new SP4.

hysonmb

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
I say wait until they announce whatever is supposed to be announced next month. I was in a meeting a few months ago and mentioned that I'd wait until the Holiday season before buying my SP3 in hopes of getting a good deal. A reliable source in the room said there was some really interesting hardware on the horizon, to be announced in an event next month. Some of the things he said about what Google and Apple were up to have already come to light so it seems he wasn't just running his mouth. There could be something really nice coming soon.
On that same tangent, I ended up getting a great deal on an SP3 a couple of weeks ago and highly doubt whatever is coming up will make me regret that choice.

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
What event? Convergence? I never knew that was a hardware release event. I thought it was more of a business event like virtualization, azure and etc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)