Should I disable my Intel integrated graphics?

Conor Mayling

May 15, 2014
Visit site
So, the reason why I want to disable it, is that I use Adobe Illustrator nearly everyday, and there is a setting for GPU Performance. Sometimes it is enabled and sometimes it isn't. I think the reason behind this is because I think that Illustrator gets confused with the use of 2 GPU's. As I am also using a Nvidia GeForce GTX 965M (4GB VRAM) too.

I would like to know if there will be consequences or changes if I disable the integrated graphics. Like, will there be a slight performance change etc. The integrated graphics is Intel HD Graphics 530.

Thanks

badelhas

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, if you have a dedicated card you can disable it in bios. But if it's absolutely necessary? I don't think so since my tower pc has a motherboard with an integrated gpu and its turned on, no problems here.

Cheers

orlbuckeye

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
Well i have an Alienware 18 and I use the Nvidia Control to set my default graphics card and I canl also set each application to use either the Discrete or integrated graphics. Like I said Disabling in BIOS and setting the DGPU as default to BIOS do the same thing.

Last edited:

ralphwiggum1

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Typically, the NVIDIA or system should be able to handle this (and you can manually select which is used when). The issue with outright disabling integrated graphics is that it helps with battery life. If your PC is in a lower power mode, it typically uses integrated graphics more than dedicated. So you should probably see why the setting keeps getting disabled and check your NVIDIA Optimus settings (if that's what the GPU switching thing is still called).

tonytranupg

Feb 7, 2017
Visit site
Typically, the NVIDIA or system should be able to handle this (and you can manually select which is used when). The issue with outright disabling integrated graphics is that it helps with battery life. If your PC is in a lower power mode, it typically uses integrated graphics more than dedicated. So you should probably see why the setting keeps getting disabled and check your NVIDIA Optimus settings (if that's what the GPU switching thing is still called).

I agree that most apps now are developed to choose a higher graphic card, with the help of drivers. However, sometimes they don't somehow. It's better to disable it when we don't use, right?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos