Should I Keep My Backlit Keyboard On All The Time Or Shut It On & Off???

michaelwells40505

Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
Hi,
New to the group, glad to be here. Former long time Mac user now Windows convert.
I have a Lenovo Edge 2 with a Backlit Keyboard, you can turn the keyboard on or off by hitting the fn-spacebar at the sametime, it didn't even come turned on I had to dig online to figure it out. Since my Macs all came with Backlit Keyboards and stayed on all the time this is a new feature to me. Should I leave it on all the time like with the Macs I used to own or is it better to shut it on and off. I know it's a picky a question, but I really love this laptop and hate to see my Backlit feature die. Thanks in advance for your help.

Michael

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
New to the group, glad to be here. Former long time Mac user now Windows convert.
I have a Lenovo Edge 2 with a Backlit Keyboard, you can turn the keyboard on or off by hitting the fn-spacebar at the sametime, it didn't even come turned on I had to dig online to figure it out. Since my Macs all came with Backlit Keyboards and stayed on all the time this is a new feature to me. Should I leave it on all the time like with the Macs I used to own or is it better to shut it on and off. I know it's a picky a question, but I really love this laptop and hate to see my Backlit feature die. Thanks in advance for your help.

Michael

in daytime and well lit rooms, you rather keep it off as that is a waste of battery. In dark areas you can keep them on

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

Michael

in macbooks there was no way to switch off the backlit keyboard?

michaelwells40505

Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
MacBooks, MacBook Air's and MacBook Pros all their keyboards stayed on all the time. I am not worried about battery life, but rather the life of the backlighting on my keyboard. This just never came up on Macs. Sorry, I should have been more clear about my concerns in my question.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
MacBooks, MacBook Air's and MacBook Pros all their keyboards stayed on all the time. I am not worried about battery life, but rather the life of the backlighting on my keyboard. This just never came up on Macs. Sorry, I should have been more clear about my concerns in my question.

well, if you're not worried about battery life, then you can keep them on though it would look weird to have them lit in daytime. The lights are LED in most cases so they should last for years. So even if you kept them on always it's not going to affect their performance noticeably for at least 5 years

michaelwells40505

Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
Thank you Chintan, you totally answered my question for me. I am always in darkly lit rooms. I get debilitating migraines and am very light sensitive. Thank you again for your help sir.

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I think of backlit keyboards as a gimmick that wastes battery life.

1. In a well lit room, it is absolutely unnecessary.
2. You should not be using your electronics in a complete darkness for a long period of time (bad for your eyes). But if you had to type in a dark room, your fingers should be able to blind type on the physical keyboard if you are a half decent typer.

So yes, keep your battery life and keep the backlight off.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

michaelwells40505

Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
I was only asking in concern to the lifespan of the lights that produce the backlighting. I am severely disabled and get chronic migraines, so I am in darkened rooms 100% of the time. But I appreciate your input.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel