Should I replace my 925 with a 830

KyleGM

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Ok so hopefully someone can help me out here, I really want an 830. I love almost everything about it.

I have a 925 and I am getting tired of it, the battery is becoming worn out and I miss having a microSD slot. As far as I can tell the 830 is an upgrade in every way apart from the AMOLED screen (which is beautiful on the 925):

Wiress Charging
Lumia Camera 5
MicroSD
Removable battery
Better Camera
Motion Data
Bigger Screen (albeit not better quality)

Now I'm purposefully choosing the 830, I could get the 930 but no glance is a deal breaker, I could get a 1520 but it's going to be too big for my daily use so the 830 is perfect for me. I don't game, and mainly use my phone for taking pictures and browsing the internet.

Has anyone moved from the 925 to the 830 and is it a worthwhile upgrade?

Also just to add, price isn't a problem I could purchase any phone, so what would you recommend to fit this criteria, the 830 is the only thing I can see that fits it so that's why I'm curious, thanks for all the responses! Things it has to have:

MicroSD
Glance
OIS + Zeiss
5" Screen
Motion Data
10MP (or higher) Camera
Camera Shutter button
Capacitive Buttons

The 930 really would be the perfect phone if it had glance!
Thanks!

Last edited:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I heard the display's blacks arent as black as the 920's.

And while performance is about on par with your 925, I don't think its a bad decision since you know what its got in store. If it were me, I'd test drive it first, since I heard less-than-rosy things about the double-tap-to-wake responsiveness and stuff. Depends though, as a whole I might jump for battery life alone.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
As sad as this might sound, you might also want to look into the 640 or 640 XL, if anything, to at least hold you until the end of the year to see what comes out for the 8xx and 9xx series of phones, and it's cheaper heh.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I have a 830, I think It's an okay switch if you don't care about gaming and such (surprisingly better though), processor is just fine for all that kind of things, camera seems faster with V5 - a lot. I love the looks, but there may be spaces between the camera glass and back place and the frame doesn't seem perfectly brushed on the edges and on the botton. I've heard others report that on forums too. However It's not noticeable if you don't search for it. The screen, I prefer IPS and I like it's calm colors, but viewing angles are really not that good as on OLED from my 735, on left it looks blue and on right it looks orange. I think other IPS screens are far better by my experience. It's still a good deal.

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
As sad as this might sound, you might also want to look into the 640 or 640 XL, if anything, to at least hold you until the end of the year to see what comes out for the 8xx and 9xx series of phones, and it's cheaper heh.

This would be my advice as well.

I have the 830 and enjoy it. But if I were shopping today, I would get the 640 (or XL) as a stopgap until the newer WP10 generation starts appearing. I like the phone, but I don't consider it a "smart" buy at this point in the game (and, really, it never was).

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I haven't used a 925 in daily use, but I've had several come through my hands. They are certainly nice phones.

That said, I like the larger screen of the 830. I don't have any issues with overheating, double tap to wake, or the like. I've only been using the 830 for about week, but so far I am surprised at how long the battery lasts

The only thing I thought about it is that it feels a little fragile, like it could be bent easily. I bought an Incipio Octane case for it, and it feels pretty fortified now. The case probably won't protect the screen, but I'm not afraid to put the phone in my pocket now either.

KyleGM

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
I heard the display's blacks arent as black as the 920's.

And while performance is about on par with your 925, I don't think its a bad decision since you know what its got in store. If it were me, I'd test drive it first, since I heard less-than-rosy things about the double-tap-to-wake responsiveness and stuff. Depends though, as a whole I might jump for battery life alone.

I don't use double tap to wake so that's not a problem, battery life is a major concern though! Thanks.

I was really wanting a 640 XL for a while but I'm not a fan of the rounded look and no OIS is a big deal, also a bit too big. 640 is a no go for the camera alone, I like taking pictures haha Thanks

I have a 830, I think It's an okay switch if you don't care about gaming and such (surprisingly better though), processor is just fine for all that kind of things, camera seems faster with V5 - a lot. I love the looks, but there may be spaces between the camera glass and back place and the frame doesn't seem perfectly brushed on the edges and on the botton. I've heard others report that on forums too. However It's not noticeable if you don't search for it. The screen, I prefer IPS and I like it's calm colors, but viewing angles are really not that good as on OLED from my 735, on left it looks blue and on right it looks orange. I think other IPS screens are far better by my experience. It's still a good deal.

I'm a fan of IPS myself, not expecting it to look as deep as the AMOLED but I still think it's a good screen to look at. Thanks

This would be my advice as well.

I have the 830 and enjoy it. But if I were shopping today, I would get the 640 (or XL) as a stopgap until the newer WP10 generation starts appearing. I like the phone, but I don't consider it a "smart" buy at this point in the game (and, really, it never was).

The 640 as far as I can see is an inferior phone compared to 830, no ZEISS or OIS and an 8MP, everything else seems similar, let me know what I'm missing, thanks!

I haven't used a 925 in daily use, but I've had several come through my hands. They are certainly nice phones.

That said, I like the larger screen of the 830. I don't have any issues with overheating, double tap to wake, or the like. I've only been using the 830 for about week, but so far I am surprised at how long the battery lasts

The only thing I thought about it is that it feels a little fragile, like it could be bent easily. I bought an Incipio Octane case for it, and it feels pretty fortified now. The case probably won't protect the screen, but I'm not afraid to put the phone in my pocket now either.

I always have a case and a screen protector on my phones as the 925 was a slippery bugger! The battery really is drawing me in along with all the camera upgrades. Thanks

Added a little criteria of what I'm looking for in the original post if anyone has any input on that .

KyleGM

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
With your updated criteria, I think you know where you're at.

True, I know I want the 830, it's exactly everything I want, but it's just people appear to think that this is a relatively low end device when it appears to better my 925 in every aspect and the 925 is one of the best phones I've owned. Just looking to get people's opinions on everything.

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
The 830 is s good device. Although the internals are 'low end' to spec snobs they are more than adequate for the job. The chipset works, that's why you see it popping up all over the place with other manufacturers. They have spotted a market. High end fit and finish (metal frame, decent camera, screen) coupled with economic but decent chipset. It just works. I get increasingly amused by the spec wars, whilst there has to be a cutting edge in many areas its reaching the point of overkill (screen resolution for example). 830 has much better battery life than the excellent 925 but the screen is not as nice imho. Still pretty damn good though and you would probably love it. Swappable back covers rock too.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
True, I know I want the 830, it's exactly everything I want, but it's just people appear to think that this is a relatively low end device when it appears to better my 925 in every aspect and the 925 is one of the best phones I've owned. Just looking to get people's opinions on everything.

The best I've ever had, seen, bought, sold, or otherwise witnessed in person (you may not know it, but I buy and sell phones, and have sold about 600 of them over the past 18 months) is the 930. It is, IMHO, nearly flawless. It did, to me, have a flaw, and that was that it didn't get LTE with AT&T. I found after owning a 930 for awhile that I really need LTE for work on travel.

I tell you this about the 930 so you'll better understand my thoughts on the 830. I am still in mourning over selling the 930. Prior to the 930, I had a 920, which is essentially the same as your 925.

So, I sold my 930, and got an 830.

I actually like the 830 quite a lot. The screen is not quite as sharp, the camera isn't as good, and the processor isn't as fast. But it does have LTE, the battery lasts longer, it has glance (no biggie to me, but it is to some folks) and it doesn't get hot while using and/or wireless charging.

Next to the 920, the 830 has a bigger, better screen, better camera, and better battery life. The processor is faster, but if you're not using it heavily, you may not notice it being all that much faster.

All of the complaints that you hear here are just that. I've not had any issues with the 830, and my issues with the 930 were not nearly the same as most folks.

I hope that helps you a little. I really can't see how you go wrong with the 830. Like I said earlier, I did think that it felt a little fragile, so I put that case on it, and it's solid now.

I wouldn't say the 830 is low end at all.

BTW - all of the above has no relevance to this, but I have an 830 for sale, that you can see in the marketplace. If you are interested, I'll give you a trade credit for the 925.

KyleGM

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site

That is incredibly helpful thank you, I have a few hundred in Amazon vouchers so I'm getting it from there but thanks for the offer :) After reading your post I've went ahead and ordered it, I'm 99% sure I'm going to love it but sometimes you just need that push. Thanks everyone for your help and I'll be sure to report back to hopefully help any others in the same situation!

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
That is incredibly helpful thank you, I have a few hundred in Amazon vouchers so I'm getting it from there but thanks for the offer :) After reading your post I've went ahead and ordered it, I'm 99% sure I'm going to love it but sometimes you just need that push. Thanks everyone for your help and I'll be sure to report back to hopefully help any others in the same situation!

I hope you do love it now, so you don't hate me!

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
My comments weren't meant as 640 vs 830. I just meant for you to consider what you're paying for the 830 compared to other options and soon to be options. As I said, I wouldn't be buying a 830 today. But, moot point now..lol. :) I'm sure you'll enjoy the 830 as I do mine... Have fun!

BSobotta

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site

It really is a great phone. Especially if your coming from a X20 phone. I really don't see the issues with mine some have reported. I do see great battery life.

My only issue is with the viewing angels, but I rarely look at my phone from those weird directions any ways. My glance works great, but it's not as crisp when coming from the 925, but it does work just fine. Lastly, I really haven't noticed an issue with double tap that others have reported.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site

Wow this is interesting because I just saw a bent Lumia 830 for sale on eBay not too long ago lol

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
I really want an 830. I love almost everything about it!

I may be interested in a swap. Bought the 830 at the recent msoft sale at $249. I was almost happy with my 520 but wanted a better camera, so jumped on the sale.

But, having had it few weeks, I don't like the bigger size. I just checked specs and the 925 has a 4.5 screen.

This one is black in as new condition with a case, flip case and green back.

Thoughts? I am in the US.

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site

It's actually not quite as black-and-white as that. The 830 has a smaller image sensor and higher resolution so the image quality will not be any better (might even be worse in low light). I don't think the S400 is bad for a WP device but the 925 certainly has a far better GPU. The only video comparison I could find, it shows how app resume and game loading is faster on 925.

http://youtu.be/DkFH-h8r3aA

Honestly, it depends on what you want to do with the devices. For general use, they are pretty much on par.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Not to be putting down the 92Xs, it still holds its own admirably against the 830. Its just that their battery doesn't last. I don't use my beloved 2yr 920 as my main phone now, especially if I have to charge it 2-3 a day.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb