Should I return my SP4?

saintrobyn

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
But sooner or later Best Buy may refuse a return if you return too many

When I bought my SP4 (i5/256/8GB) from Best Buy I had to return a couple due to dead pixel issues... these were very early lots so I am betting not a full blown panic inducing issue anymore. I bought one, returned it the next day, returned the second one within 30 minutes for the same issue. Third one worked like a charm. I apologized for doing so many returns and the guy behind the counter told me not to worry about it. I had the right to return it as many times as needed until I got one that worked for me. He then pointed out that since I had returned it on November 1st and had a new receipt showing the new date I was now covered under the Holiday Exchange Policy and had until January in case any further issues arose. Right before Christmas I was back in, not with my SP4 just the receipt. I wanted them to price match the 18 months same as cash promo they were offering. They did with absolutely no hassles.

TL:DR version: if your Best Buy is anything like mine, you should have no issues what so ever.

slysy

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for Your input.

One question; could there be something special with the i7 16MB 256MB model? I see another thread here with the same issues and the same model... Is the processor so new that the highest performance CPUs are not stable yet? Should I change for the i5 and also save a lot of Money:)

Henrik

I have the i7 as well and get the freezing. I wonder if there is an issue with the i7s, as they are ALL out of stock on the MS store (all 3 models)

phelme

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
TL:DR version: if your Best Buy is anything like mine, you should have no issues what so ever.
When my SP2 had a video issue, which was the most bizarre thing: all video was dithered to 8-bit, which no amount of resetting or reinstall could fix, Best Buy gladly exchanged it. Even lucked out and receive the upgraded 4300u in the process.

abhishek_itengg

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi Henrik,

I bought exact same model as yours on Jan 21 2016. Overall this device delivers a power pack performance handling multiple memory consuming applications superbly. However I do see all the issues you mentioned -

(i) SP4 hangs/freezes at random times.
(ii)Doesnt wake up from sleep
(iii)Display driver crashes

I have latest updated software and drivers but these issues are still happen. All over internet it says that Microsoft is working on the fixes so sometime in the future we can expect it to be stable. I personally do not think returning/exchanging your SP4 will resolve these issues. I am learning to live with these issues at the same time cherishing the features of this product.

Thanks,
Abhi

billyboyblue

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
But sooner or later Best Buy may refuse a return if you return too many
They did this to me, a quick call to best buy headquarters, and I quickly got a surface book, it had massive light bleed, so I told them to shove it, and got my money back. Then I wen't home, thinking I was surfaceless, and MS sent me a brand new one, for absolutely no reason, so.. yeah

coolbreeze78

Nov 11, 2004
Visit site
https://www.theretailequation.com/Consumers/

Lots of retailers track returns. Be careful or you will be banned. I know, legit reasons for returning/exchanging exist, but a software flagging algorithm doesn't know or care. Amazon is well known to totally ban people for "return abuse" no matter how legit the reasons may be for returning items.

I worry every time I have to return something to Best Buy or Amazon for this very reason. Hell I've even given up and kept things that needed to be returned for one reason or another because I recently returned a few things.

Sad but the world we live in.

Edit: didn't realize this post was two months old...oops

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucasmorth