Side Loading Android Apps on W10 PC?

Praxius

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
So I am curious, I have been hearing all the talk about getting Android Apps to Side Load onto Windows 10 Phones and I delved into it by side loading Fallout Shelter onto my 930.

I got it to work, although it often crashes at startup, heats up my phone and sucks away my battery, but once you're in-game, it is stable and very playable. This is to be expected after all since the Project Astoria is still early into development and Android Apps by default will try and connect with the Google Play Store that doesn't exist.

My question, however, is whether or not these same Android Apps could be side loaded into the desktop version of Windows 10.

Both the PC and Mobile use the same Kernel they say, plus Windows 8/8.1/10 all run similar styled Apps. I figure if W10M can handle other OS apps, then surely the Desktop OS can run loops around these things.

One game I play often on my Phone is Airport City. It is also available in the PC App Store. I know it's not the exact same app since when it came out Windows 9 was only being talked about, let alone what he have today.

But is it possible to take the same Fallout Shelter app from the Google Store and port it into my PC or even my 10.1" ASUS Tablet?

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Android apps that will be ported over using astoria will not be universal apps :) They will only work on the mobile version. If the developer wants his android app to be universal, he/she will have to build it all over again

yihong kang

May 5, 2014
Visit site
So I am curious, I have been hearing all the talk about getting Android Apps to Side Load onto Windows 10 Phones and I delved into it by side loading Fallout Shelter onto my 930.

I got it to work, although it often crashes at startup, heats up my phone and sucks away my battery, but once you're in-game, it is stable and very playable. This is to be expected after all since the Project Astoria is still early into development and Android Apps by default will try and connect with the Google Play Store that doesn't exist.

My question, however, is whether or not these same Android Apps could be side loaded into the desktop version of Windows 10.

Both the PC and Mobile use the same Kernel they say, plus Windows 8/8.1/10 all run similar styled Apps. I figure if W10M can handle other OS apps, then surely the Desktop OS can run loops around these things.

One game I play often on my Phone is Airport City. It is also available in the PC App Store. I know it's not the exact same app since when it came out Windows 9 was only being talked about, let alone what he have today.

But is it possible to take the same Fallout Shelter app from the Google Store and port it into my PC or even my 10.1" ASUS Tablet?

You can already do that with Android simulators. The best I tried are duos and blue stack.

Praxius

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
So unless I get some sort of Android Emulator, No.... I see.

Odd thing though is that I have a cheap Android Tablet as well (never really used much these days) but it ties into the Google Play Store. As an Example, is Angry Birds on the Android Tablet the same as the Angry Birds on an Android Mobile?

If not then that would mean they made two different apps for Android?

I wasn't thinking Astoria made them Universal Apps, I was just thinking if you could Command Prompt the Android App like Fallout Shelter the same way as you do for Mobile.

To get it to work on W10M you need to setup the Developer Mode.... And W10 PC also has a Developer Mode. If both PC & Mobile W10 are supposed to be very similar to one another in many "under the hood" ways, then it got me wondering if an APK or OBB file could be loaded onto the PC as well.

I mean if I could get Fallout Shelter or other Android apps side loaded onto my ASUS VivoTab, that would be pretty sweet.

It seems as though Android only has One APK/OBB file for what's on the Google Store, and that one APK/OBB is what they use for both Mobiles and Tablets.... I'm not too familiar with the Chromebooks but I would assume it would be a bit more like the Windows RT (bit more than a mobile device but not quite a PC)

Windows Apps run on Windows RT, 8/8.1 and 10 all the same, while up until now, Windows Phone was in its own little world.

I'm sure there has to be a way to get Android Apps to install onto your PC without having to grab some Android Emulator.

Well ok I am not Sure, but confident there's a good possibility

yihong kang

May 5, 2014
Visit site
Yeah but do those put the App onto your Start Menu/Screen or do you have to run the simulators then run the app on top?

Blue stack allows you to create shortcut for individual apps. I forgot whether duoos allows you to do so.
I haven't used them for a long time(no need for me). Blue stack used to have better UI, but duoos consumes less resources.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon