Simple Question: Music on phone?

TheAsbo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to buy the Lumia 820 when it's released this year. It'll be my first Windows Phone.
My question is, how do I put music on my phone? I'm used to just putting it on my memory card for my current phone, but I'm sure these smartphones have some other way of doing it. Do they have to be in a certain format (wav, mp3)? Do they have to have a certain DRM to function?

trazer

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
Currently you use Zune software and it's just a drag and drop operation that's dead simple. With Windows 8 there will be a new way to do this, and with the 820 I assume you will be able to do it the same way you always have done it as it takes an SD card.

Currently if you have the phone setup in Zune you can set it to wirelessly sync too, so sync once with the cord and set up wireless then change as you see fit. Once you are connected to a charger it will wirelessly do it in the background. I'm sure this will continue with the new linker software that is upcoming.

I've only put .mp3s on as all my music is that way, and .m4v movies too. No issues but maybe others will note anything special it does not support.

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to buy the Lumia 820 when it's released this year. It'll be my first Windows Phone.
My question is, how do I put music on my phone? I'm used to just putting it on my memory card for my current phone, but I'm sure these smartphones have some other way of doing it. Do they have to be in a certain format (wav, mp3)? Do they have to have a certain DRM to function?

The details about WP8 are still hazy but apparently WP8 will support mass storage mode. Does this mean you'll be able to load your card with music and play it on your phone? It seems so.

The way it works on WP7 is that you use Zune to sync your music, just like iTunes. Zune is supposed to be replaced with another app for WP8.

You can play non-DRM files on both OSes and WP8 will support mp3, wma, wav, m4a , asf and aac are supported (no flac, ogg, etc.)

trazer

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
There are a few third party Google music apps out there that work great from all accounts. I've never tried as I avoid Google if at all possible lol. Gooroovster is on that I know of.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dazt6h