Skype, WhatsApp, Viber Problem after WP 8.1 DEV Preview

Nandakumar Kesavan

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
As like everyone I upgraded the first day it got released and faced a few issues, day 1 got Network+ update and post update I was unable to open Network+, since I need this to transfer all my calls to another number during office hours, I did a reset and everything was fresh, installed all my apps again which included Skype, Viber and WhatsApp

Model : Nokia Lumia 1320 :love:
Problems :
Skype : Unable to signin... after providing the credentials, the loading animation is going and going and going.... after 20 mins also no change
Viber : Able to sign in with a lot of trouble (each screen literally took 45 seconds to move to next step)... click on contact... screen loads and loads and loads.... still the dot dot animation but not loaded yet
WhatsApp : same as Viber but when I selected a contact it took 3 to 4 mins to load the chat screen, I typed the message clicked the send button... the person didn't receive, I sent it to my wife mobile and I was using it to check......

3 Main apps I use day to day isn't working........ :unhappy:

Anyone else facing similar issue?

frankelweeze

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I faced a ton of issues after upgrading from WP8 to 8.1 dev preview including bluetooth not working, all audio completely cutting out, multiple apps force closing, etc.
It got to the point where the phone was useless. I weighed options and backed up all data via settings and made sure all my photos were fully backed up to SkyDrive.
Did a full reset and for the first time I'm using 8.1 fully without 1 tenth the glitches and flubs.
Eventually software/firmware will be released with the final version from Nokia and other manufacturers when the OS rolls out, but before then I'd recommend a full reset.

Your mileage may vary. Some on HTC 8x and other phones are claiming a full reset made more trouble than good. If you're using a Lumia there is a Nokia restore utility to reinstall WP8 in case even the full reset wipe doesn't help or makes things worse. But if you're using a Lumia, I recommend backing up, double check everything is backed up, full phone reset and restore.
Again, just a suggestion from my experience.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I've also noticed Whatsapp and Viber have been acting a lot slower in opening menus and switching pages. I hope they will be updated for full 8.1 compatibility soon. :/ Skype is not giving me any sign in issues though

barareklam

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I am having issues with Skype, after I upgraded to Dev.preview 8.1 on Lumia 920
People are trying to chat with me, but I do not get any notifications about that. When I open Skype and see messages it works to chat without problems.

Delfos

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm not getting Skype notifications in the Notification Center, but the Live Tile is working correctly. Also in a Lumia 920.

lawalhu

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
In my own case, I couldn't log into Skype since the update. A screen keeps narrating some messages and pressing sign in doesn't respond

Zsolto

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
This is my first message here, so Hi, guys.
I also seem to have notification problems after the upgrade with Viber and FB Messenger. The apps run and I can exchange messages but no notifications, no live tile message count, no toaster message :(
I have an ATIV S bought from Expansys.

Lumiamike

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Viber left open but phone locked

Phone eats battery like a tramp on a bag of chips, i kicked WA into touch after the devil bought it out, shame really as it worked fairly well on my 720 so cant comment on issues on that app nor Skype as i dont know anyone i need to speak to and see there face

Eas195

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I have WhatsApp installed, and the most annoying issue is when I switch to another app from WhatsApp, it stops updating the chat, and therefore, it stops receiving notifications. I wonder why they didn't regularly update the app...

P.S.: I'm owning Lumia 620. I've already done doing the hard reset, using the new phone profile, and reinstalled apps I need. Heck, WhatsApp keeps making the issue with Windows Phone (8.1)!

bavve

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I have WhatsApp installed, and the most annoying issue is when I switch to another app from WhatsApp, it stops updating the chat, and therefore, it stops receiving notifications. I wonder why they didn't regularly update the app...

P.S.: I'm owning Lumia 620. I've already done doing the hard reset, using the new phone profile, and reinstalled apps I need. Heck, WhatsApp keeps making the issue with Windows Phone (8.1)!

Same problem on my Lumia 820.. But only from today, since yesterday the app didn't have any problem!

Greeting from Italy

Enrico

plasmid_uk

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
I assume the developers (whom this update was intended for) are working on an update for their apps which will be ready in time for the official release which will be some weeks away. One reason I haven't touched the 8.1 update. I'm not sure you can do much at the moment other than to sit tight.

andyqkw

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Viber have been having issues with loading time and toast notifications back in the WP7.x & WP8 days.

Pray that they will release an update which support WP8.1 and most importantly fixing all those longstanding issues.

Fth DGN

May 1, 2014
Visit site
I did have same issues like you..All Viber, Skype and Whatsapp seems working in background and I am getting notifications late (20 mins..sometimes 30 mins or late). I have contacted to Whatsapp team and they asked my details (device model) and they also said an update will hit the app end of May (since WP8.1 will be officially released). So, after all, I have downgraded my LUMIA 1520 (bought from Nokia store in Finland) to WP8 with using Nokia Software Updater. I can say, its battery last longer (surprisingly). It is worth to try :)

Fth DGN

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Try Nokia Software Updaters to downgrade to WP8 and wait just 3-4 weeks more. Whatsapp team said there will be an update end of May for WP8.1. Good luck :)

Fth DGN

May 1, 2014
Visit site
You are lucky to get notifications :) I did not get notifications from Skype, Whatsapp or Viber. I have downgraded to WP8 and It is now even better. (battery life has gone more than 2 days on my LUMIA 1520 )

XFaKToRX

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I was having issues with the Skype app on my Nokia 1520, it was horrible after the update. I uninstalled and re-installed several times and still had the same issues with the app hanging, calls failing, and even not recognized as installed when in between calls. Then it dawned on me today that I had turned on the option to have apps installed to my SD Card. I then uninstalled Skype changed the setting so that it would install to the phone and guess what no more issues. I'm thinking that any apps that are going to be integrated into the OS should be installed on the phone instead of the SD Card, or at least til the problem is addressed. This is a preview so issues are expected right.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss