Sleep auto detect did not work

Thomas Wadsworth

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Using the Lumia 930, with Microsoft band and I'm from the uk.

Last night I updated my health app. Synced my band, and then restarted the band. I then went to the sleep tile to see if it had changed on my band and it had not. I was skeptical that it might not work, so I removed the tile re added it and rebooted my band the second time.

Finally went to sleep and woke, no data collected.

Am I missing something ?

FredBloggs007

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Same here. Just looking at my heart rate data and it's not a low as normal during my sleep period. I believe that's the trigger so maybe that's why it didn't register?

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

Last night I updated my health app. Synced my band, and then restarted the band. I then went to the sleep tile to see if it had changed on my band and it had not. I was skeptical that it might not work, so I removed the tile re added it and rebooted my band the second time.

Am I missing something ?

I would suggest you look at the other thread discussing the added data tracking since you appear to be misunderstanding what how it works. If you want it to actively collect data then you need to turn on the tile. Auto-detect will identify patterns in the data - nothing is happening on the Band itself. Given it is based upon data analysis of multiple variables, I seriously doubt people will see much identified on day one.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
It might be worth testing for another night. I doubt it "records" sleep as such - the HealthVault will indicate it as sleep once it's had a chance to crunch the data. Another night of sensible data won't hurt.

bockersjv

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site

Am I missing something ?

The auto sleep has nothing to do with the band firmware or the app version. The sleep tile has not changed .

It is the data crunching behind the scenes, if your sleep[ was erratic then maybe it is not being identified as such. This post does beg the question why you did not just use the sleep mode though :)

BucksterMcgee

May 29, 2011
Visit site
I have yet to see anyone confirm auto-sleep detection working in manner or fashion. It's not showing up in the band app or website. It's not registering anything... not even "data crunching behind the scenes".

My best guess is it's lacking a firmware update needed to make it work or they didn't turn on the backend system yet.

Something to note, sleep tracking double's the length of how long it stays active to read your Heart Rate to get accurate data. If it truly is only analyzing data on a server, then that data will not be as accurate as using the sleep mode tile.

Also, it is unknown if other sensors are used to gather data during sleep or check for a sleeping state, such as skin temp or galvanic skin response (which might require a firmware change).

In any case, I suspect we will see a blog post from Microsoft explaining the auto sleep function as well as if it's actually working yet or not.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Didn't work for me last night either. Wanted to see my sleep time - 6 hours of ultra low movement and lowered heart rate should have shown as sleep.

Like other, guess it just isn't working yet.

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
Haven't tried it, since they mention on the dashboard that it won't give you restoration data with automatic detection. Sometimes I forget to hit the sleep switch though, so it would be nice to know that some sort of stats would be recorded. Perhaps it'll take some time to get it trained?

telomoyo

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
If u guys check now, u might have the recorded data of your sleep pattern. Mine was not there when I woke up, but it's there now, almost 6 hrs after waking. I did not set the tile last night to see if it would work, and it did! The only thing it did not detect was my "restful sleep" according to it, I had 6 hrs of "light sleep," waking up twice in the middle. I think it will become better at detecting with the following updates.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Whoa, just checked again and it actually did work. I synced twice when I woke up this morning and it was still showing my sleep data from two nights ago. But now it says "Actual Sleep (Detected)". Nice!

Anybody out there have two Bands so they can compare results from auto-detect and active tracking? :)

kevin shea

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
I tried this just for fun last night and it worked well. But I got up and had a glass of water and went back to sleep for another 90 minutes that was not picked up. I guess I was up long enough to be considered awake and then that was under the 2 hour minimum.

Brandon f

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
I would suggest you look at the other thread discussing the added data tracking since you appear to be misunderstanding what how it works. If you want it to actively collect data then you need to turn on the tile. Auto-detect will identify patterns in the data - nothing is happening on the Band itself. Given it is based upon data analysis of multiple variables, I seriously doubt people will see much identified on day one.
I think stephen_az is correct. It will only detect patterns. I believe you will only receive sleep (detected) data if the program can correlate your data from the night in question with data from your previous manually recorded sleep tracking data. So it will require a data set to be able to base the analysis. The more you set and have your sleep tracked yourself, the bigger the data set for it to gauge your normal sleeping heart rate range and other readings. I believe it would be better to make sure to activate the sleep tile each night, if you want the best recording and tracking of your sleep. The auto tracking will only be as accurate and consistent as your readings are, and having to wait several hours for an analysis is not as beneficial, in my opinion. If I don't sleep well and know this first thing in the morning, I can adjust and try to get more strenuous tasks done earlier in the day, knowing I will not have the energy and motivation to get those tasks accomplished later in the day.

Last edited:

Penecho

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone have the Link to the original article? Just noticed mine says Sleep (Detected) but I have no clue what it means^^ (what's the difference)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss