SMS/MMS sync server

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
How do you know the 5000 messages have been deleted? The only way I know to delete archived SMS is to delete them from your device WHILE sync is enabled.
Maybe not exactly 5000, just lots of em. The reason is that being on Insider requires lots of device resets (at least that seems the standard solution to problems). So if you reduce the sync period and do a reset, years of MMS messages and texts are lost, or so it seems.

Yes, by now it makes sense, but a warning would have been nice. "If this is your only phone this will delete all older messages from the backup server" or so would have made me think twice.

Sent from mTalk, a great Tapatalk alternative

nailzer

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
you would think SMS sych would be perfect, then we could hard reset and play without worry, isn't that what MS want us to do when testing ?
MS should fix such a small item so at least we can "PLAY" without losing our basic and private information being deleted.
The one thing most people fear about having to reset or upgrade is having regrets when we lose information that we really care about.

WavingReds

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone who is wondering about the SMS/MMS sync.

All my messages have been synced and restored from build 14322 on the slow ring

This was from a fresh cleaned reset of build 14322.

Honestly it just takes time. all my messages just appeared yesterday or so, I didn't even noticed.

Akira X

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Update: All my messages are back!!! I'm on build 586.218. Running a backup now with the contacts and message backup app....

Jeffsey500

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Mine came back, but not as far back as I know Microsoft should have.

My other phone hasn't sync'ed up any of my messages from between when it went down and I bought a new phone, so there's a one month hole in my history still.

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
There's still no clear explanation around this, unfortunately.. And no guarantee that if you hard reset again that you get your TXTs back. I've got 3 total phones with Prod and insider W10M builds. None of them have my old messages.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
You see that's the problem I think. With WP, we had a history sync. ON W10M, we have a "across devices" sync. It seems to mean that the messages are synced between existing devices, not from "history". For instance, I know there's a thread of discussion I've received when the 640 was my main device. I know it's saved, I've seen in Messaging (PC) using the search trick (when it used to work). But because of my many experiments, including wiping the SMS list to trigger a fresh start, I don't have them on my active devices. The 535 has caught up WITH my 950, not with the saved history. And that's not even true, as some messages I have on my 950 are missing on the 535. But I haven't received on the 535 old messages I wouldn't have on my 950.

History became device sync and now it's history&sync. So I wonder if the problem is not linked to that unability to choose between restoring full history and just symcing between devices.

What a mess. A not a word of excuse or recognition of these issues by Microsoft, after 6 months.

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
What a mess. A not a word of excuse or recognition of these issues by Microsoft, after 6 months.
This is precisely my "problem" with this. I don't mind being a Guinea Pig but the communication blackout is frustrating/aggravating. Feedback from hundreds of folks has clearly hit the hub but not a peep on any public forum for almost two or more months now on the topic.

enomam

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
It's weird - the messaging app on my pc has restored all my sms/mms up to the date when I performed the factory reset on my phone. All messages after that are on my phone only.

It's as though the phone not only cannot restore from the server, but it's also unable to upload to it.

Temujin Morgan

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
It's weird - the messaging app on my pc has restored all my sms/mms up to the date when I performed the factory reset on my phone. All messages after that are on my phone only.

Are you referring to the "Windows Phone Message Backup" app or you Messaging app on the PC in Production/Redstone?

I recently tried the "Windows Phone Message Backup" app and it downloaded everything until I had my Lumia 950. 27th Nov. However I have had messages sync up till Feb between my 950 and my older phones also running W10M. I just want to know is my stuff being backed up. Not having it restore right now is one thing but as long as everything is safe.

afgzee

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
My messages are starting to slowly come back now. Changed my settings from all time to last month back to all time and they are syncing now. Hopefully I get them all back.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers