So am I wrong to assume...

Phillip Brown3

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
AT&T will not update 640? I picked up two new Go Phone 640s from Walmart last week. I decided in the end to return them before I even opened the packaging. My concern is AT&T will pull the same stunt with this phone as they have done with the pre-paid Go 635 and not provide updates, either in a timely manner or at all. Am I wrong in my thinking? This tends to make me lean towards Blu for my next phone. Thoughts

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I guess I'm lucky 'cause I get all the updates regularly since I'm from Europe. And also, I think you're right, at least partially. I guess you'll get those updates but not right away, since they depend on your carrier.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I don't think you are wrong in your thinking, but I thought that it was said Microsoft will be the one to control the updates over the carrier? Also, isn't AT&T the same company who still has not released Denim for their 830? If so, I'm wondering what the difference would be in returning a midrange phone if their phone above it still doesn't have Denim.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Don't know anything about the AT&T's 830 but I remember hearing somewhere that phones bought on Microsoft's store will get the updates regulary but those that you buy in AT&T for example will depend on the carrier itself. I still stand by my first thought but again I see your concerns. Considering all the stuff that is going on about the 640 and the fact that this phone is the very first to receive win10 update when official, I'd say they wouldn't dare leaving theire customers falling behind.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
After all that has happpened with the reduction of the phone output and what just happened with the mass upgrading of computers to W10 it would be the final nail in the coffin for WP if Microsoft does not update all the phones they promised to update. Surly they are not that stupid, or are they?

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I thought all phones would get 10 at some point.

ATT has been horrible about releasing the Update 2 (which would be full Denim for that phone) for the 830.

There is only a difference with one bought at the MS store if you buy unbranded, unlocked. If you buy an ATT phone at the MS store, ATT still owns your updates.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
After all that has happpened with the reduction of the phone output and what just happened with the mass upgrading of computers to W10 it would be the final nail in the coffin for WP if Microsoft does not update all the phones they promised to update. Surly they are not that stupid, or are they?

Well considering they've just released an official PC version it's logical that there will be even more bugs found now and that'll keep them buddy for a while, which I think will slow down the mobile version development. And one last thing, if they said which phones will get the update to 10 then surely they will, at least eventually. First on the list are 640, 930 and 535 as far as I know.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
One of the best things with the att 640 is its pricing. Use it until one can determine which phones will come with win 10 preloaded, then sell the old 640 and upgrade for an amount equal to lunch money. Or if by some miracle, maybe att will role out a win10 update early on, but i highly doubt that.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
One of the best things with the att 640 is its pricing. Use it until one can determine which phones will come with win 10 preloaded, then sell the old 640 and upgrade for an amount equal to lunch money. Or if by some miracle, maybe att will role out a win10 update early on, but i highly doubt that.

Lucky you, sadly I'm from Bosnia and here phones and other electronics cost a lot, I paid my 640 180?, which is not a lunch money at all, more like an average wage. So I'm kinda stuck with this phone at least for another 2-3 years or so. And flagships are insanily expensive, S6 cost 1200?, so my dreams of buying a L940 are wasted pretty much.

perpleSlerp

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Call me crazy, but I never quite understood the big deal about updates. Sure I get it, having the latest and greatest, but do they really always improve the experience? and enough to warrant not buying a phone if it might not be upgraded? I used my Droid X2 with Gingerbread until 6 month or so ago, when I hopped to a new phone with KitKat I didn't notice any huge improvement other than text messages pop-up notifications which are nice. There were apps for Gingerbread that did most of what KitKat did. Of course that's Android not Windows, but still I would never not by a dirt cheap brand new phone with the latest software because of the potential it wouldn't be updated down the road, but that's just me. Now, I can see if you're paying $650 for a flagship, but $80 bucks for a 5" smartphone?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss