So for devices that dont have OLED screens...?

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Do devices like my HTC Arrive that don't use OLED suffer from battery drain if using the white background for the OS? I know white kills the battery life of devices that use OLED screens and its recommended as a tip to use a dark background, but for HTC devices does it matter? From my experience, it doesn't seem to drain any quicker if I use the white background, as my battery meter estimates the same amount of time remaining with the white background as the dark background and the phone is a little easier to use in direct sunlight with a light background...

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Nope, the Oled screens won't waste more battery life when having a white background but it consumes less battery with the Black one.

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I love the look of Oled screens. With a black background it makes the white text really pop off the screen. I think Microsoft should push all phone makers in that direction.

Exomondo

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Do devices like my HTC Arrive that don't use OLED suffer from battery drain if using the white background for the OS?

No, on an LCD screen the backlight is illuminated all the time whether it's a light or dark colour so it makes no difference to battery usage. OLED screens will use more battery doing the light theme than the dark theme though.

jesdt

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
OLED screens also consume more power than LED screens when running white colours, but perform better with black, so Winterfang's statement is wrong.

kylej1050

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
No, on an LCD screen the backlight is illuminated all the time whether it's a light or dark colour so it makes no difference to battery usage. OLED screens will use more battery doing the light theme than the dark theme though.

Depends on the LCD technology. Some LCDs are white when they are off and others are black.

In HTC phones they are black when off(they're PVA type LCDs which require pixel activation to pass light). The power required to change a pixel is next to nothing compared to the backlight though so any difference would be almost immeasurable between white and black.

TN type displays are more efficient at whites since that's the off mode for the pixels, you can usually tell a TN display because it looks like a shrinking water puddle when you turn it off. Common as heck in older laptops.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea