So I Filled My Truck With Gas

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I used to have this shirt with a bicycle on it labeled "[infinity sign] MPG"
not the most relevant, but this made me think of it.

just last week actually, going down a hill, my bus going 35 MPH was passed by this guy on a bike. intense.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
We have $1 a liter for both diesel and unleaded fuel where I live.

We have people complaining all over the place. (Especially because half the fuel is wasted on getting stuck in traffic)

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Oil companies are all in cahoots and keep the prices high on purpose. With all the oil that countries like Canada and the US produce and have in reserve there is no reason for gas prices to be that high.

Dileu

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
The amount of oil is irrelevant to the price as not all oil is the same. There is a world of difference between the sweet crude that used to gush in Texas a hundred years ago by doing pretty much nothing more than sticking a metal straw in the ground, and the dreadful stuff in tar sands that needs, effectively, to be opencast mined and then massively processed to turn it into something useful - the EROEI (Energy returned on energy invested) is far far lower, so the price is higher.

Not all oil is the same. Not all reserves are recoverable, and not all lies told by the oil industry desperate for capital investment are found out in time ;)

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
At the risk of sounding political, I was paying $1.45/gal for diesel just before the invasion of Iraq. The price of crude was roughly the same as it is today, so what changed? We got hit with one tax after another without even knowing it to try to pay for that war. Look it up and see for yourselves, we pay roughly 58% in taxes on every gallon of fuel we purchase. Diesel has become prohibitively expensive since 2007 when sulfur-free diesel was mandated. A load of bull if you ask me. If you're not boiling mad, you're not paying attention.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
At the risk of sounding political, I was paying $1.45/gal for diesel just before the invasion of Iraq. The price of crude was roughly the same as it is today, so what changed? We got hit with one tax after another without even knowing it to try to pay for that war. Look it up and see for yourselves, we pay roughly 58% in taxes on every gallon of fuel we purchase. Diesel has become prohibitively expensive since 2007 when sulfur-free diesel was mandated. A load of bull if you ask me. If you're not boiling mad, you're not paying attention.
You have a point. Here in the Philippines, ~20% of what we pay for any oil product is taxes. The 12% VAT. The oil tariffs. The penalties the oil companies get because of avoiding taxes (WTF?)

In fact, I just went out for a walk (in Manila, crazy as it sounds) and saw that the price of Diesel was now 47 pesos/liter. And, that's at an independent gas station (i.e. cheap)

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I get ridiculous discounts at my Safeway gas station. Get up to $1.00 off a gallon (like $2.60 a gallon after my discount here). My Mazda 3 fills up with less then $40 and gets 33 highway! ;D

My next car will be a Tesla if my income is stabile enough at the time. Tesla just makes incredible products!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05