so my NEW-ish X3 is a SAMPLE phone

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
figured someone might find this interesting, so I just bought another X3 to replace my bricked previous X3 and I was looking it over and it seems this is a Sample model as it has a couple of slight differences! one being that it is faintly marked on the back which I can hardly make out as it has been attempted to be removed... HP SAMPLE NOT FOR SALE. also the HP logo is MUCH darker not chrome like my other X3 and there's differences on the inside also... I'm having intermittent problems with the phone like SD card keeps un-mounting and the cell data keeps turning off by itself and lastly I can't update to 1709... but other than those problems the phone works very well... I called HP to inform them that I have one of their sample phones and what was my next step and what did they want to do... and they told me to contact the seller and get my money back as he was not supposed to sell it (no kiddin?) I proposed to them that I could send it back provided they could send me a replacement and the CS said they couldn't do that... I figured they wouldn't want this thing out N about... she put me on hold and went to go speak with a supervisor and we got disconnected and she never called me back! LOL thank god I didn't pay alot for this phone! lol phone is in great shape and works really well apart from those problems I mentioned uptop. BTW here are some pics I took to show you guys. Look at the differences in the radio HW and HW revision and FW version.

OH! and to top it all off my X3 is working again! LMAO! I'm sure its temporary and its a ticking time bomb :winktongue:

Attachments

• WP_20180905_11_28_09_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180905_11_28_09_Pro.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 21
  • wp_ss_20180905_0002.jpg
    wp_ss_20180905_0002.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 18

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
interesting. I'm wondering if HP even has any X3's left to send out for replacements.

oh i'm sure they do, its not like anyone or everyone is rushing out to buy them at their ridiculous price... except for ms store which is more reasonable.... at the HP store in Canada they're asking 999 lol...

jacquesvan

May 27, 2015
Visit site
Same thing happened to me last year. The fact that it had a custom Rom and I could not update the O.S. to the latest version was the deal breaker for me. Turns out the seller was a HP headquarters employee who was not supposed to sell it. After I told him that I reported the issue to HP support he was very quick refund me.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
so I'm happy to report that I was able to update to the newest OS and FW. I had to restore using the MSFT WDRT to OS 1603 and then update to the most current OS 1709. which updated no problems.. looks like the guy who owned the device before me screwed up the DL and it was stuck... thats why the update kept failing.. device is working amazing now! so now I'm having intermittent problems with my old X3... every once in a while it goes into a reboot loop and then it will over heat trying to boot up... like really hot! wish I knew what or why it is doing this... but I will keep that one for a back up...

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
That is the issue with owning the HP. Same for certain other OEM devices as well. If you brick it good luck trying to recover it. All the Lumias have emergency Qualcomm recovery files available for rescuing them from boot issues, corrupt files, etc. Even the IDOL 4s is more able of being saved from a failing to boot situation than the X3. If we came across a developer model HP Elite X3 though or had access to a ROM of that sort, it might make it possible to know more about how to fix a boot issue or even make a solution for that.

Last edited:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Tha is the issue with owning the HP. Same for certain other OEM devices as well. If you brick it good luck trying to recover it. All the Lumias have emergency Qualcomm recovery files available for rescuing them from boot issues, corrupt files, etc. Even the IDOL 4s is more able of being saved from a failing to boot situation than the X3. If we came across a developer model HP Elite X3 though or had access to a ROM of that sort, it might make it possible to know more about how to fix a boot issue or even make a solution for that.
Personally, I'd much rather use the OTC Updater tool from Microsoft. I was able to bring my Acer Primo up to the latest 09/2018 version because of it. After trying so many methods only to end up with bricked devices and the infamous "black screen", I'm sticking with this.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Personally, I'd much rather use the OTC Updater tool from Microsoft. I was able to bring my Acer Primo up to the latest 09/2018 version because of it. After trying so many methods only to end up with bricked devices and the infamous "black screen", I'm sticking with this.

Ya the OTC updater is nifty. I use it often. It is pretty quick at it what it does too. Using that tool on devices that don't have a back door to recovery is wise and a good idea.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99