so what happens to windows phone ?

ep1

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
so whats going to happen windows phones after this last update. would it be a good idea to buy one today.

jeffchapik

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
If you have an unsupported phone and you didn't upgrade it to W10M with the Insider Program, you can continue to use it as it is with WP8.1. But there won't be any more updates and probably few new apps or app updates either. But if you're happy with it, keep using it.

Nokia_Lumia

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
As of today, Microsoft Store is still selling Windows Phone 8.1 devices ineligible for the upgrade. Ridiculous, if you ask me. Apps are disappearing, there will no longer be support.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
As of today, Microsoft Store is still selling Windows Phone 8.1 devices ineligible for the upgrade. Ridiculous, if you ask me. Apps are disappearing, there will no longer be support.

If you can get one for a decent price, and understand its shortcomings, what difference does it make? Lots of people don't need the latest and greatest.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
If you can get one for a decent price, and understand its shortcomings, what difference does it make? Lots of people don't need the latest and greatest.

lots of people dont need to risk their phone's reliability either, 7-8-8.1 had shortcomings, like every OS, but w10 has real flaws

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
lots of people dont need to risk their phone's reliability either, 7-8-8.1 had shortcomings, like every OS, but w10 has real flaws

People are using old Blackberry devices today. They only want email, texting, calls, etc. Would nose one? No, but that doesn't mean they're not usable.

Tien-Lin Chang

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
When there's 30USD at&t unlockable lumia 640 selling at vending machine.

What is a good price for those orphan wp8 phones?

The optimization is not the same story after 8.1......

30USD paying to the customer might be a good price thought.

gomezz

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
People are using old Blackberry devices today. They only want email, texting, calls, etc. Would nose one? No, but that doesn't mean they're not usable.
I am thinking about the new Blackberry running a hardened version of Android if my old 820 were to bite the dust.

Nokia_Lumia

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site

$400 for a non-upgradable HTC One M8 is NOT anywhere near a good price. Neither are any of the other prices for the other phones. Like the poster above said, not with $30 640s.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site

Many people, like me, who have the 950 / XL series, still like the 8.1 experience. I you can get a half decent device for not a lot of money, that runs sweet on 8.1, why not. I still have a massive soft spot for my 1320. 8.1 is so smooth on it, and it's very pleasant to use, without the issues I get on the 900 series running W10M. Also, there are those out in the world who don't want a billion pixel, mega ram, 10ft screen 10k screen etc, or want to pay ?500 plus for a phone. Believe it or not, there still exists a sub-culture of mankind who want just a phone. Weird I know, but they are out there!

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Many people, like me, who have the 950 / XL series, still like the 8.1 experience. I you can get a half decent device for not a lot of money, that runs sweet on 8.1, why not. I still have a massive soft spot for my 1320. 8.1 is so smooth on it, and it's very pleasant to use, without the issues I get on the 900 series running W10M. Also, there are those out in the world who don't want a billion pixel, mega ram, 10ft screen 10k screen etc, or want to pay ?500 plus for a phone. Believe it or not, there still exists a sub-culture of mankind who want just a phone. Weird I know, but they are out there!

I agree, if you're going to use a very "pure" phone experience, and maybe a few web sites, with basic stuff (no advanced Java or similar), then this might be okay.
But what happens, when you want to use Google maps in a few months, same phone, and you discover you can't get current enough updates/services, and the app model has been left "in the dust".
I'm of the opinion that these shouldn't be sold either, at least not without a deep-discount and FULL DISCLOSURE, about the non-upgradeable nature of the device.

-pete

Nokia_Lumia

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
I agree, if you're going to use a very "pure" phone experience, and maybe a few web sites, with basic stuff (no advanced Java or similar), then this might be okay.
But what happens, when you want to use Google maps in a few months, same phone, and you discover you can't get current enough updates/services, and the app model has been left "in the dust".
I'm of the opinion that these shouldn't be sold either, at least not without a deep-discount and FULL DISCLOSURE, about the non-upgradeable nature of the device.

-pete

Keeping those phones in the official Msft store will only increase the hatred for Windows. When that person will look for a Skype app in 3 months, not find it, and say that Windows sucks and doesn't even have Skype, and no apps (as they will be disappearing slowly but surely). When in reality, by that time there are some quality universal apps, hopefully a smoother experience, etc.

It is just strange that Microsoft is still selling them. They should either make a full disclosure and sell them all at a ridiculous discount, or write off the loss and not create an even worse image for Windows on mobile than there already is (is that even possible? Even fans are turning away).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb