So who still thinks Microsoft shouldnt have been advertising WP7 more?

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
WP7 was outsold by bada AGAIN in Q3, according to figures from Gartner Gartner: Windows Phone sales flat in Q3 2011 | WinRumors. I think it was a huge mistake to basically sit back for the whole launch year and watch as the competition solidified its position and not even try to bring WP7 to the public's attention. Should have spent more time bringing the Xbox 360 and WP7 together than chasing bloody angry birds! One can only hope Nokia's efforts pay off but seriously MS has a lot of work to do if google isnt going to be the runaway dominant force in smartphones.

Personally, I prefer my mobile devices without malware!

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
meh , they are doing it now. they should be more like apple when it comes to advertising.

but i think they are doing enough ,specially with the NYC event , and also advertising is MORE the responsibility of Samsung , Nokia ,HTC and LG ect.. then it is MS.

At lease NOKIA took it to heart with the UK event coming.( they dont really have a choice considering they are relying on WP to take them out of the HOLE they dug) HTC also had a big WP event earlyer this year...

better late then never.

ryude

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft is depending on Nokia's relationship with the European market, which if it succeeds could easily push WP sales into the 10-20% marketshare in a few years.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm counting on WP to be very successful in Europe and hopefully we'll hear about sales figures by MWC 2012 in February. By that point I'm expecting that a US Nokia Windows Phone has been at least announced.

So bottom line this first year in WP7 has been pretty meh, although they are doing the right thing putting good effort in attracting developers.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if MS doesn't think WP is "finished" enough to full on advertise yet. Maybe they are waiting for WP8?? Just a thought. Mango seems great to me, don't take that the wrong way. I just don't get why they wouldn't advertise their phones either. I don't think I have ever seen a WP7-7.5 commercial, ever. I've seen plenty of W7 PC commercials.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
You need new hardware to get people excited about it, and there was no new hardware in Q3. Not surprising that sales were flat. There's no point in spending a bunch of money to push year old hardware.

MS waited until the new phones came out to start the ad push as they should have.

Umm Yeah

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
In the US, there just aren't but a couple of second generation devices to push and, sadly, the 8GB Radar seems to be getting the lion's share of attention right now. I think potential WP7 users will be turned off by the small storage capacity of the Radar.

Hopefully, there will be some good devices coming out of CES in the next quarter or two.

shingi_70

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Suprised how crappy the WP7 marketing is compared to the windows and xbox marketing. Those divison's won't need it as much until late next year do now should be windows phone all the time.

Verkunder

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Check your grammar next time you create a topic: nobody in their right mind thinks MS shouldn't have advertised more. "Who still thinks MS should have advertised more?" And to answer your question... DUH they should have.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
No problem explaining the first year's mediocre marketing, but now it's time for Microsoft to step it up. I am sure there will be a big push when Nokia reaches US shores. But they can't wait that long, or they could lose the good part of another year.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

mdrapps

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
How about a Windows Phone advertisement that actually demonstrates to people that broad capabilities of the phone? The latest advertisements are cheesy, mediocre, semi-witty acting that leave a consumer barely informed about the phone capability. Someone in Microsoft marketing needs to get fired!

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
How about a Windows Phone advertisement that actually demonstrates to people that broad capabilities of the phone? The latest advertisements are cheesy, mediocre, semi-witty acting that leave a consumer barely informed about the phone capability. Someone in Microsoft marketing needs to get fired!

I agree with this.

While MS are obviously going for a softer approach, they need to show how WP technically beats the competition as an OS 'on the move'. People hub, live tiles, the me tile, status updates/check in's across multiple social networks, threads, etc, etc.

IMO, the best way forward would be to target a relative face for WP. Someone like Olly Murs (for here in the UK). He's young, trendy, appeals to people on all levels, and embodies the warm, light-hearted sense of humour the WP has. Show his day pan out from start to finish and piece in how the simplicity of WP keeps him in touch with his friends, family, as well as the latest news, etc. As a musician they can show his tracks play through Zune whilst tying in the Zune marketplace. You never know, by this stage, they could even show Skype integration!

At the end of the day, their approach has to be 'current'. Whatever angle they attack this from, cheesy amateurish actors/acting isn't going to sell the brand.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
So, the Titan launches today, will anyone outside forums like this even know it exists? I'm calling it now, its going to sell poorly, no ads for the "flagship" launch. We'll see what the reports are like today about getting one, probably the same old story. How does anyone from Microsoft involved with this product expect it to sell when no one advertises it?

boneycat

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I don't know about you, but I've seen a lot of Radar commercials lately. **** all over the internet too. Not so much with the Focus and Flash though...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luiandovaf